Hypoband!!

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who uses a HYPOBAND? Or have children that use one?
Keen to get your feedback... Please?
I'm on the verge of purchasing one for my son (he's 8).
Thank you

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If anyone has any opinions or comments I would really appreciate it.
I was under the impression these are very common but no one seems to have one? :( xx

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think @tim2000s reviewed it on his blog, but I can't find the link just now...

From memory (I could be wrong), it alarmed when he ran for a bus but wasn't hypoing, wasn't loud enough to hear, and didn't alarm when he hit 3 point something when he reached the T1 meet up.

Overall, it didn't seem that impressive. Largely it works on the wearer cold sweating when then hypo. Fine if your son does, no use if he doesn't.

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooooo thank you very much for this! I will check out this blog review.
From what they've informed me so far, it may have gone off incorrectly when he was running for the bus because they're not designed for outdoor use, only sleeping / indoor activities etc. I liked the idea for bed and school.
I am worried over trusting it though, may be a while or rigorous testing before I can sleep soundly and rely on it.
Apparently they help collaborate it to temp-ng readings to get an accurate reading and that can take a few days.
I will have a look at this now!
Thank you!!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An alternative (but sadly rather expensive option) would be to look at Dexcom CGM systems. A sensor is inserted through the skin and reports back blood sugar levels every 5 minutes. This is shown on a receiver or phone, depending on what you go for, and can also allow for remote monitoring by a parent - allowing you peace of mind (or stress from a distance, depending on the numbers ;-) ).

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes thank you, I love the idea of the CGM but I worry about affording to maintain it. I'm only a 3rd yr student nurse, the bursary is poor and it's just not stretchy enough to suffice.
It's insane how expensive it is, a few people at my sons diabetic group have them and they shout about them and whilst I'm happy for them that they have that much spare capital that it isn't a problem, I feel guilty I cannot provide this for him.
Once I qualify next year, if I do an extra shift a week it should/will give me the money for the cgm but then it's me being with him to be his mom and care for him v's the cgm. It's difficult because I obviously don't want to be away from him 4x14hrs a day.
Life's never straight forward is it.
I do feel the cgm is an amazing solution, especially because trashing a child's fingertips when they have a life of testing to come, can be reduced / avoided. But I do think that it could be subsidised on the NHS, when you look at what other things are readily available with considerable costs, the diabetics deserve some additional funding from time and time. I would happily pay a contribution towards the maintenance because they seem amazing but because of the cost, I am focuses on the negatives and for now, the payment plan for the HYPOBAND seems more manageable and appealing, if it works for during the night and at school I'll be well happy!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TeamBeal Sorry - I'd assumed you were in the US as you used the term 'mom'. If you're in the UK, you could look at the Freestyle Libre possibly. If your son is struggling to get good control without hypos, it might be worth asking his DSN for information about an insulin pump. For children (and adults) on small doses of insulin, they can make life easier. Some pumps are also compatible with CGMs.

Don't beat yourself up about not being able to afford a CGM. I'm an adult and I can't afford one, even though I have a pump that would support one (which saves a bit of the cost) They're not cheap .

If you're looking after your son and keeping him healthy - which it sounds like you very much are - then he's very lucky :)

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Who uses a HYPOBAND? Or have children that use one?
Keen to get your feedback... Please?
I'm on the verge of purchasing one for my son (he's 8).
Thank you

Hi
I have one, I used it a lot until I changed my insulin, and would definitely use it again if I thought there may be an issue, eg if I were taking another medication. I don't wear it every day now as ive changed my basal insulin and feel more in control. Please bear in mind my age and length of time "in the society". Hypo-band were really helpful in setting it up, yes, I can recommend it. Hope this helps, however happy to answer any more specific questions if required.

Shaul Dror

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It infuriates me and is quite scary to see how an excellent product like the Hypoband can be "trashed" by people who do not know how use it according to it's intended use, It is meant to be for indoor use only and is non water resistant.
The Hypoband watch is an intelligent Bluetooth interface, smart phone device that measures cold sweat. It works on smartphones and triggers for help via a phone call or short message service (SMS) when the threshold limits are met or the panic button is activated. It also has a standalone alarm mode.
Important: For indoor use only and non-water resistance.

The Hypoband App needs to be pre-installed to a smart phone prior to using the Hypoband. The App has to be launched after the Hypoband is on and paired the smart phone. The smart phone will be making the call, SMS or local alarm triggering upon being triggered by the Hypoband.
Hypoband is wristwatch like device which is to be wearing on wrist and measures skin temperature (which is lower than core body temperature) and perspiration. The device is non-invasive.
The Hypoband is light product design, elegantly designed and compatible to wear on varying size of wrist. It is patient friendly and comfortable to wear during night.

This product is not meant to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. It is purely a cold sweat alarm that works on remote connectivity. The Bluetooth range is typically within 10 meter radius coverage. It is not recommended to use Hypoband if this range is exceeded from the smart phone.

The Hypoband is designed primarily for Diabetics having Hypoglycemia attacks, with cold sweat being the predominant symptom. It detects cold sweat by measuring and displaying the temperature (oC) and humidity levels of the skin (%RH), whereupon upon the onset of cold sweat, a triggering call/SMS or alarm will be made by the smart phone in which the device is paired too.
Hypoband is intended as well for patients that exhibit cold sweat symptoms during a heart attack, seizure/epilepsy, etc. It is also applicable for the infirm that have a fall at home.
It comes with a panic button hence may be used for the old, sick and aged in case of an emergency, be it a fall, burglary, fire, etc, that needs response and aid to be given to them.
Hypoband detects the skin’s Temperature in degree Celsius and Sweat Levels in Humidity % of the person wearing it. Temperature of the skin is typically 32 oC ± 2, any readings dissimilar to this could mean, it is not worn properly. If it is not worn, then it will be measuring the surroundings or environment.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It infuriates me and is quite scary to see how an excellent product like the Hypoband can be "trashed" by people who do not know how use it according to it's intended use, It is meant to be for indoor use only and is non water resistant.

Please feel free to add your experience of seeing/using hypoband, @Shaul Dror, it is was the OP was asking for.

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've ordered one, I'm excited to get it for my son! You can't always please everyone but the feedback I've read and the help from the team at HYPOBAND has been amazing so far and very positive so I'm confident it's going to be a good thing for us.
I will keep you informed, I'm sure my older son who's an insanely keen vlogger will do some sort of video review so I'll make sure you have a link.
Thanks all for your advice and feedback xxx

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It came! It's amazing. We made a video on it to help people in the future.
Thanks all for your help xx

Reactions: 2 people