My First Bg Reading... Advice Please?

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone! So, I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 5 weeks ago with a reading of 91 at 31 years old. I weighed 31 stones at the time. I went straight on an LCHF diet, started exercising. I'm now 28.8, go walking, exercise most days, drink only water, not deviated from diet. Yes, I miss my old habits but, y'know, it got me diabetes so not that much .

I suffer with chronic anxiety and depression and didn't want to test. I felt it was really scary. Anyways, I plucked up the courage today and my fasting BG was 6.3. Is that good? I'm on 4 x 500mg of Metformin every day. I want to come off Metformin and be diet and exercise controlled. Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and it will eventually get better?

I just don't know what I'm doing with all of this still really and I would love to know if I'm heading in the right direction. This is such a lovely supportive site and I really appreciate any replies. Thank you for reading!

-Mel

P.S. The finger-pricky thing is my new mortal enemy

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is good for only 5 weeks in. It took me longer before I got a fasting reading under 7. Look at the link mentioned above and do ask questions.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @melliemars! From your weight reduction and meter reading you are definitely heading in the right direction. Keep on doing what you are doing and your meter readings and weight should continue to get lower.
The finger pricking was difficult for me too at first, I'm terrified of needles, but you will get to do it without problem after a while. I keep my meter next to my bed and test when I wake and I'm still half asleep and I hardly realise I've done it.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You are doing very well in such a short time and we'll done on losing weight. 5 years ago I weighed 24 St and now weigh 16 St 8lb. Keep up the good work and the weight will drop of you

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! So, I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 5 weeks ago with a reading of 91 at 31 years old. I weighed 31 stones at the time. I went straight on an LCHF diet, started exercising. I'm now 28.8, go walking, exercise most days, drink only water, not deviated from diet. Yes, I miss my old habits but, y'know, it got me diabetes so not that much .

I suffer with chronic anxiety and depression and didn't want to test. I felt it was really scary. Anyways, I plucked up the courage today and my fasting BG was 6.3. Is that good? I'm on 4 x 500mg of Metformin every day. I want to come off Metformin and be diet and exercise controlled. Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and it will eventually get better?

I just don't know what I'm doing with all of this still really and I would love to know if I'm heading in the right direction. This is such a lovely supportive site and I really appreciate any replies. Thank you for reading!

-Mel

P.S. The finger-pricky thing is my new mortal enemy

Well done on your progress. I don't think anyone really ever makes friends with the finger pricker demon.

@ally1 - You've lost a whole me! Of course, there are people who wish I'd just push off, but that's a s different story entirely. :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Well done on your progress. I don't think anyone really ever makes friends with the finger pricker demon.

@ally1 - You've lost a whole me! Of course, there are people who wish I'd just push off, but that's a s different story entirely. :)
It's been hard work losing the weight. I tend to look at losing half a stone and when I reach that, then gp for the next half stone. When I first started losing weight, I wanted to lose 11st but it felt far to much to lose, so am sting to the half stones

Reactions: 6 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My FBG was 6.3 this morning as well. For someone only a few weeks in that is a fantastic number. Keep up the good work.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the finger pricking you need to set the needle to a setting where it just about pricks your finger. You may have it set to go in to far. My codefree is set at 2.5 which is just enough to get blood, but does not hurt at much. Also use the sides of the fingers and not the very tips.