wieghty issue

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Am about to start basal/bolus and can anyone tell me if I am likely to gain weight as I work so hard to just stay the same :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you have not used insulin before, it's quite likely you will gain weight. You can minimise it by careful carb counting and making sure you don't have to top-up your carbs to match your insulin doses.
Hana

Katharine

With a well matched insulin to food regime you can be of normal weight.

If you have had high blood sugars for a while it is very likely that you have been peeing out sugar. This is an efficient way of getting rid of calories!

The high blood sugars are bad for your health long term and can make you feel very tired, irritable, forgetful and prone to infections short term. You are as well to get on and sort this problem out and if you need insulin several times a day, so be it.

What you can do is cut your calories a little, especially calories from refined carbs which are sugars and starches. The fewer of these in the diet, the less insulin you need to bring your blood sugars to normal.

It is also important not to overdo the insulin. Sometimes people who are on too much insulin get hungry or have low blood sugars and they then need to eat sugars and starches just so they don't end up having low blood sugars.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Am on basal already but its not long lasting enough its 6 hours whatever the maker says. Try hard to keep carbs to a minimum and at the mo very slowly losing weight apx half a pound a month but I just wondered if adding bolus might make a difference

Katharine

If your post meal blood sugar levels are too high, eg over 10, you probably do need to add meal insulin, especially if you have cut your carbs as much as you can.