Breakfast

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I am just dipping my metaphorical toes into the water with low carbs and I fall over at the first hurdle. It seems that my staple breakfast of muesli or Weetabix are a bit of a no-no.

So is it eggs from here on in for breakfast? What do you have??

Reactions: 2 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just dipping my metaphorical toes into the water with low carbs and I fall over at the first hurdle. It seems that my staple breakfast of muesli or Weetabix are a bit of a no-no.

So is it eggs from here on in for breakfast? What do you have??

I've found that you sort of have to forget about "breakfast"foods. We're in this culture where society tells us to eat cereals, toast, breakfast bars, or cooked breakfast. There's no reason that breakfast can't be anything else either.
Eggs are good, but I can't tolerate them all that well, and get bored quite easily.
Sometimes I have greek yoghurt, sometimes I have fish (salmon or mackerel are my favourite). Yesterday I had strawberries and cream. Today I've just had a chicken leg off a chicken I roasted last night.
The world is your low-carb oyster!

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have coffee n cream, but if I fancy breakfast, it will probably be one of:
- a variation on bacon, eggs, 97% meat sausage, mushroom, tomato...
- sliced ham or cheese, or both
- last night's leftovers
- homemade low carb cinnamon crunch (nuts and seeds =>muesli)
- Lidl high protein roll with butter and marmite
- nothing

If you are switching to low carb, may I suggest you do a bit of planning and pre-shopping?
One of the quickest ways to go wrong is to get peckish and have nothing tempting to hand - causing an immediate lapse into carbism. ;)

IF you have a rummage on www.dietdoctor.com there are some fabulous recipes and lots of info - as well as a 2 week intro programme of meals and menus, which should help with the transition.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Thanks for the quick replies. And in time for todays breakfast.

I am pleased to learn it is 'normal' to eat last nights food, such as chicken, for breakfast. I thought it was just me.

Off to boil eggs now . . .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon.. and more bacon..if you feel you have to eat breakfast.. It's not illegal to skip it though.

Jo123

Don't actually feel like breakfast but find my BG levels better if I do. I mostly have two pieces 90 per cent chocolat and a mug of unsweetened soya milk or if I know I won't have a chance to eat a low carb lunch I have two eggs on two slices of livlife bread.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how is the bacon fast going?
Not bad.. weight coming off little.. and to be honest its not especially hard as I love bacon.. even tried a bacon pizza base with cheese topping which was very nice. Fell off the wagon last night and had some crispy duck as hubby fancied a Chinese then topped that off with some Oppo and double cream (well you might as well do it properly) .. haven't had this mornings weigh in yet...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had cheese on toast this morning one slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread which has 11g of carbs per slice

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I'm definitely not a low carb person but my breakfast could of course be lowered to suit a Low Carber.

I eat Oats with Sultannas and Walnuts and mixed with milk. I find this a very tasty and satisfying meal. For me its a total of 90 grams of carbs. A low carber could of course reduce this down somewhat to suit.

Regards
Martin

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I found breakfast a problem. Now I have either eggs of some kind, or grilled field mushrooms, tomatoes, and 3 lumps of frozen spinach.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm definitely not a low carb person but my breakfast could of course be lowered to suit a Low Carber.

I eat Oats with Sultannas and Walnuts and mixed with milk. I find this a very tasty and satisfying meal. For me its a total of 90 grams of carbs. A low carber could of course reduce this down somewhat to suit.

Regards
Martin

I doubt that very much as all the ingredients are pretty high carb...apart from maybe the walnuts

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is my normal breakfast unless I am on vacation. I always have a cup of berries and half of a banana with a dollop of yoghurt and a handful of variety of nuts. One egg or sardine on toast, followed by a small slice of homemade date bar. Of course this is all washed down by a cup of coffee with skimmed milk. At this stage I take my medication.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Depends on how low you want to go or need to go i think?

I've never considered a low carb diet or even know how low one should go.

I'm quite a fussy eater so for me to lower my carb intake I think i would struggle finding something to bulk out my meals.

Regards
Martin

davej1950

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
150g ground almonds
40g milled linseed (golden flaxseed)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 eggs beaten
2 tsp honey (optional)
1/2 tsp cider/white wine vinegar

mix first 4 together and the next three separately, stir the wet into the dry, pour into a greased small loaf tin bake at 150 for about 40 mins.

3 slices with marmite or peanut butter is about 7g of carb.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on how low you want to go or need to go i think?

I've never considered a low carb diet or even know how low one should go.

I'm quite a fussy eater so for me to lower my carb intake I think i would struggle finding something to bulk out my meals.

Regards
Martin

Well the whole point of Low Carb High Fat is that you don't need to bulk out your meals as the fat fills you up. As a lot of us consider Type 2 to be Carbohydrate Intolerance then avoiding carbs is the best way to control our blood sugar especially if we wish to remain medication free. I realise it is different for Type 1's although I have read lots of you saying that LCHF has helped too.

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done LCHF for just on 6 months BG dropped from 7.6 to 5.7 . See doctor again in a year, no medication.
Breakfasts: lots of suggestions on Diet Doctor. My favourites are, berries with full fat Greek yoghurt , egg, bacon and mushrooms. Smoked haddock or smoked salmon both with a poached egg.
Good luck. I hope all works out well. I have never felt so well and happy.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt that very much as all the ingredients are pretty high carb...apart from maybe the walnuts
Just lost my tea. I read that as "maybe the walrus". My god lol

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge and fresh fruit for me. Comes to just under 30g CHO and keeps you going to lunch time. I am a T1 and have moved to DAFNE made amazing difference. Insulin usage right down, and next challenge is to lose weight (I am 85Kg). Berries, Greek Yog, etc are all low carbs so the worlds your oyster without eating last nights left overs!