Type 1s: How is everyone keeping bloods under control?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kerry, I'm on a pump. It's an education but I seriously love it. I do lchf. I tend to eat about 20-30g of carbs a day. The lower the better. I try to eat moderate protein because of the spike you can get afterwards. I also seem to have huge dawn phenomenon the day after a protein binge so another reason for moderate protein.
I do 3 sessions of weights - heavy! I'm an iron maiden, I also do an insanity class and spin. I Have a personal trainer session and he batters me. All for insulin sensitivity.

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
Loads of insulin I inject during the day and the night?

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when I was on MDI I used to split every injection, before I went on a pump I was up to 8 a day. Low carb helps too. Now I do a min of 6 blood sugars a day and have a cgm that allows me to see whats happening all the time blood sugar wise

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
I'm going to die soon because if my control even though I've tried to control it like mad!

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here actually.keeping my blood glucose within range doesn't last long!basically I can get it within range but then it continues to drop lower and lower.i end up like you taking lucozade and back to square one.This is constantly happening.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Same here actually.keeping my blood glucose within range doesn't last long!basically I can get it within range but then it continues to drop lower and lower.i end up like you taking lucozade and back to square one.This is constantly happening.
hey @Joah
perhaps you could start a new thread as this one is fairly old and not very active.

dealing with our BG's is pretty much a 24 / 7 day operation.
it might be helpful for you to look at basal testing to get your background dose of long acting insulin sorted out first .
link here http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now see that this thread is 6 months old. To my previous post, I'll just add that there's a wonderful page on facebook. You don't have to have a facebook account to read it - (I don't). Here it is... https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit/

The father who started the facebook page presented at Low Carb USA this summer and it's available for viewing here... https://www.dietdoctor.com/avoid-complications-type-1-diabetes To view it in its entirety, you'll need to become a member, first month is free. They follow the Bernstein method.

Joah, I hope you'll start a new thread. You'll find lots of support here from the type 1 community. :)

Edited by a mod - Type 1s do not have to eat LCHF to get tight control.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Joah Please check out the daily carb intake threads in the Type 1 section. You'll find most Type 1s eat a reasonable amount of carbs and that its perfectly possible to do so and still have excellent control. The links above aren't supported by many Type 1s who find it perfectly possible to achieve tight control on moderate carbs.

I eat 180g carbs a day and my last HbA1C was 33.

The keys to control for Type 1s are a correct basal rate (to provide a firm foundation), accurate carb counting and adjusting insulin for meals, and bolusing (having your meal time injection) at the appropriate time in order to,reduce spikes (very important and can achieve excellent results).

Please post any questions in the Type 1 section here and you'll get lots of helpful,responses from other Type 1s :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@azure I see that you deleted my post. I feel totally stupid. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou all for your replies, I can see that everyone has different ways to help them so I was intrigued to know what everyone else does that's so different to me, hopefully I can take away some of the stuff you have advised me with and regain some control to my bloods. I will definitely read the books!

I have done the ice course but I found I didn't really get much from that, the glycaemic foods was confusing, I'm officially getting a pump today so hopefully this might help more! I do test 20 times a day not even joking, but that's cause I have no hypo warning and I'm always hypoing!

Another question I would like to ask, if someone has a blood count pre meal of 4.5 and eats something to keep the bloods under 7 but some of the food may cause a rise even if its included with the healthy meal, would they inject 15 mins before and then 2 hours after? also if this was me wanting to keep them under 7 id be constantly hypoing I drink a bottle of Lucozade each day and I don't feel healthy for it! :( but whenever I try to keep my bloods under 7, they rise and then dip low very quickly, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long does it take before you start feeling better when you try to keep your bloods within range? Have been having a lot of highs and find when i'm in range I can feel a kind of false hypo effect. How long before that goes and I start to feel better more human and 'with it' when i'm in range?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Best thing by far is strenuous exercise and keeping the weight off . I only ow carb for breakfast and lunch rest of the time I eat what I want, I had chips for the first time in 4.5 years last week and bolus'd correctly so they're back on the menu.

Without exercise it's a nightmare to control BS , if I ever got an injury preventing me cycling my control would be out of the window.

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that too.my diabetes nurse told me it should be the insulin controlling blood sugar levels not exercise.tricky.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found that too.my diabetes nurse told me it should be the insulin controlling blood sugar levels not exercise.tricky.

Yes, that's true. Exercise can help a lot and is good for your general health too, but insulin is crucial.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Joah I can't remember if I recommneded the book Think Like A Pancreas to,you already, but if not, it's a great book. It explains a lot.