What Now

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my hba1c is consistently low and just got the results from a fasting blood test, 4.8, so totally in the normal range.

Nurse said I now don't have diabetes.

I immediately went to LCHF when I was diagnosed and so I guess I have cured it with that.

What now!? She said I would still get annual check ups.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and very well done. :)

If it were me I would continue doing what I had been doing, but adding back a few treats here and there whilst testing regularly to make sure I wasn't over doing it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you have great control as Bluetit says carry on with your way of eating (maybe with a few experiments on the way) and you should be fine. "Cured" is a difficult word.. if you start eating carb heavy meals you will probably find your bloods will get nasty again.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done... I went for my annual eye screen and yes you do still get your annual checks

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my 2nd annual eye screen is booked for next week.

No point in not having it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my hba1c is consistently low and just got the results from a fasting blood test, 4.8, so totally in the normal range.

Nurse said I now don't have diabetes.

I immediately went to LCHF when I was diagnosed and so I guess I have cured it with that.

What now!? She said I would still get annual check ups.
My question would be, what are your post-prandial results like, especially at the 1 hour mark? If they're in the non-diabetic range, you can probably afford to be a bit more liberal; if they're not, I'd keep on doing what you're doing.

By all my A1c results, I'd also be classed as non-diabetic, but I only have to eat over 25g carbs and test at 1 hour to know that my BG control is still not normal. My 1st phase insulin response seems to be permanently affected.

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Similar thing with me. HbA1c of 5.1 so they thought I had been misdiagnosed (down from 7.1 in 6 months). Did an OGTT which was an epic fail. Still diabetic but well controlled with LCHF diet.

Regards

Bluebell