Why Do Diabetics Fail To Adhere To Dietary Regimes?

Why do the majority of diabetic patients fail to follow their dietary regimens? Primary reason.

• Socioeconomic; lack of funds to purchase healthy choices

• Lack of education or knowledge about diabetes

• Fresh vegetables and healthy food is not available.

• Depression or mental health issues

• Does not understand about the progression of diabetes if not managed.

• Not willing to change or not ready to make a change.

• Advanced age; in denial that dietary changes can make a difference.

• Youth: The idea that they are invincible to these problems & unwilling to give up fast foods.

• The prescribed diet was not effective.

Results are only viewable after voting.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
This minor tinkering will be completely inadequate.
What if favourite food is dumpling?s--bit of a no no because of v high cho value. Glycemic value...? 20 g ch is 20g cho whether it is low or high glycemic. I actually found that too much low glycemic food eaten= hypos because it takes so long to metabolise with injected insulin (the insulin is working but the food is lagging behind so there is more insulin than blood sugar going round the body)--this means that I end up eating sweets or glucose to counteract the hypo so it kind of defeats the objec!!. Also low glycemic food whilst exercising is not a good idea because it takes so long to work so type 1 s are burning up blood sugar more quickly than normal and meanwhile the effect of the insulin taken is exacerbated!! It is something that used to be taught and that care had to be taken over otherwise type 1 s can induce hypos inadvertently!!!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good Day LittleGreyCat,

My dissertation is focused on T2DM and nutrition. However, I must say that there is nothing narrow about the epidemic of obesity and T2DM. This is all interlinked.

Actually the majority of overweight/obese people can be classified as prediabetic as some do fully convert to diabetes, and others go back and forth from prediabetes state to a normal state and then back again to the prediabetes state. The important point is that being overweight is damaging to the metabolism and sets insulin intolerance free to attack every cell type in the body. Some of the latest research identifies fat as causing metabolic conversions in the liver creating insulin resistance which has the tendency to be permanent if not dealt with quickly and aggressively. I have seen many who have been able to reestablish normal labs including HbA1c's that actually convert back to a normal range. There are others that regardless of the weight loss and increase in activity never achieve a normal range again, however do reach an acceptable range where damage and risk factors are minimal.

According to the Harvard Gazette (7 mar 2012), 30% of all obese people already have T2DM. In addition, they state that 85% of all diabetics are overweight. Impossible to talk about diabetes without addressing obesity as well. ( See: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/03/the-big-setup/ ) I have reviewed many articles just based on being overweight, and the compliance failure for both remain well under 50%. One cannot discuss obesity without referring to diabetes these days.

Thank you for your comments.
Have you read Joslin Institute (leaders in research & treatment of diabetes worldwide) research into metabolisation of fat in diabetes? It completely overturns UK ideas about fat in the diet. How many of diabetics are overweight because they have been told to eat lots of (excessive) cho @ mealtimes? The diets diabetics are told to eat cannot be metabolised properly because they have a problem with utilising cho in the body--that is why they have developed diabetes!!!!! The more cho they eat the more insulin or tablets they have to take. Nonsensical when you take into account that a low crbohydrate diet not only causes them to lose weight but can also reverse the diabetic condition in some cases. This obviously only applies to type 2 s but the diet advice for both type 1 & 2 should be similar!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Whilst we know that weight can be a factor...yet again another person who believes that the weight came first and not as a symptom of the increasing insulin resistance. I am particularly tetchy today but the original poster has also hit one of my large nerves and that is a grave shame as this forum has been a life saver for me and has always felt like a "safe" and supportive place. The poll is total tosh...how can you vote when we have NO idea on what the "diet" is consisting of? As others have said, the NHS in England continues with their "eat well" plate which we know to be damaging. Maybe you need to elaborate as others have suggested and maybe not consistently attribute Type 2 to those who are overweight...you do very much run the risk of upsetting a lot of people further than they need to be upset.
I totally agree with you!!!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP seems to have dropped out of this thread....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The OP I think came here to educate us poor lost souls not to be educated rejection can really hurt as can the truth.

Reactions: 4 people

lbd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
One reason Diabetics in Australia Fail is because the DAA (dietitians Association of Australia) in all its old "Wisdom" persist with outdated dogma's...Their vested interests in their Sponsors & their own consultation $ produces an inability to progress past last century. Thousands of Diabetes sufferers in this forum know better with their own personal life transformations when they realise the DAA advice is mostly lacking in real life results.
Its advice like this that has put us where we are today.
http://daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot...low-carbohydrate-high-fat-diets-for-diabetes/

Some alarming notes on DAA Sponsorship

• Nestlé Nutrition Institute funds the DAA “Emerging Researcher Award”
  • DAA was a partner in the “Nestlé Choose Wellness Roadshow”
  • McDonald’s and the Australian Heart Foundation promoted free “Deli Choices Wraps” at DAA’s annual meeting
  • DAA “In the Spotlight” dietitians include the director of communications and public affairs at Kellogg’s and the nutrition manager for PepsiCo Australia
  • DAA spokesperson Alan Barclay published disputed data claiming lower sugar consumption during rising obesity rates (“the Australian Paradox”) and was paid by Coca-Cola to present his research
  • DAA Director Leigh Reeve (board member) is also the director of the Australian Breakfast Cereal Forum of the Australian Food and Grocers Council
  • DAA’s policy to not endorse specific products is violated on the organization’s own Pinterest pages, which frequently display recipes from corporate sponsors with branded products
  • A dietitian was deemed “not eligible” for her earned credential by DAA, allegedly for speaking out against these sorts of conflicts of interest.

In essence.
    "conflicted sponsorships tarnish the profession and harm public health"

Reactions: 2 people

lbd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
And when you have Diabetes "educators" telling my mum to ensure she has toast in the morning to help soak up the Insulin, you have to do the face palm...
Like "here, take these panadol, because I'm going to hit you in the head with this hammer!"

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Green food, meds, insomnia, reactionary politics
I have had weight gain, but I attribute this in part to being LADA and having a very irregular output of insulin as it is. Gliclazide helps to lower glucose but sometimes it causes too much insulin production and I have to eat quite a bit to stay above 6.0. Naturally that leads to weight gain.

I'll be asking to take off the gliclazide and switch to bolus instead for better results because of this.
It wasn't a diabetic medication but I was on an antipsychotic called ablify for a while and it was really terrible because it took away almost all my appitite which got me into some pretty dicey. I still had hyperthyroidism at the time too so I put mywelf it very dangerous situations. I'm in a different place now with all 3: thyroid function, antipsychotic and insulin. However, I'm still boarderline underweight from that episode and struggle to gain weight.

KurtK

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One reason Diabetics in Australia Fail is because the DAA (dietitians Association of Australia) in all its old "Wisdom" persist with outdated dogma's...Their vested interests in their Sponsors & their own consultation $ produces an inability to progress past last century. Thousands of Diabetes sufferers in this forum know better with their own personal life transformations when they realise the DAA advice is mostly lacking in real life results.
Its advice like this that has put us where we are today.
http://daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot...low-carbohydrate-high-fat-diets-for-diabetes/

Some alarming notes on DAA Sponsorship

• Nestlé Nutrition Institute funds the DAA “Emerging Researcher Award”
  • DAA was a partner in the “Nestlé Choose Wellness Roadshow”
  • McDonald’s and the Australian Heart Foundation promoted free “Deli Choices Wraps” at DAA’s annual meeting
  • DAA “In the Spotlight” dietitians include the director of communications and public affairs at Kellogg’s and the nutrition manager for PepsiCo Australia
  • DAA spokesperson Alan Barclay published disputed data claiming lower sugar consumption during rising obesity rates (“the Australian Paradox”) and was paid by Coca-Cola to present his research
  • DAA Director Leigh Reeve (board member) is also the director of the Australian Breakfast Cereal Forum of the Australian Food and Grocers Council
  • DAA’s policy to not endorse specific products is violated on the organization’s own Pinterest pages, which frequently display recipes from corporate sponsors with branded products
  • A dietitian was deemed “not eligible” for her earned credential by DAA, allegedly for speaking out against these sorts of conflicts of interest.

In essence.
    "conflicted sponsorships tarnish the profession and harm public health"

What a bunch of nonsense..

Also, some people may incorrectly believe that this type of diet means they can simply eat more meat. This is not true. For health reasons, the Australian Dietary Guidelines place a limit on meat consumption at ~455g/week for adults. People with diabetes may also be misled by the idea of replacing some carbohydrates with foods high in saturated fat – however, research shows this can actually increase insulin resistance2.

So I should eat carbs, which blood levela I cannot control, because ADG limites meat consumption (who the hell knows why) to 455g/w ?! And about saturated fat, no comment..
What a science!

According to Diabetes Australia[7], very low carbohydrate diets are not recommended for people with diabetes. The organization states: ‘If you eat regular meals and spread your carbohydrate foods evenly throughout the day, you will help maintain your energy levels without causing large rises in your blood glucose levels’ (Diabetes Australia website, 2015)

this looks like explanation to someone?!!

This recommendation is same as in my country, and is really really sad..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an advanced diabetic educator.

Does this mean bolting the "stable door" after the horse has drunk the trough dry & hauled it's limp **** out on the cart to sweet pastures...? o_O

To quote an old Jedi....

Last edited by a moderator:

fene48

Have you read Joslin Institute (leaders in research & treatment of diabetes worldwide) research into metabolisation of fat in diabetes? It completely overturns UK ideas about fat in the diet. How many of diabetics are overweight because they have been told to eat lots of (excessive) cho @ mealtimes? The diets diabetics are told to eat cannot be metabolised properly because they have a problem with utilising cho in the body--that is why they have developed diabetes!!!!! The more cho they eat the more insulin or tablets they have to take. Nonsensical when you take into account that a low crbohydrate diet not only causes them to lose weight but can also reverse the diabetic condition in some cases. This obviously only applies to type 2 s but the diet advice for both type 1 & 2 should be similar!!
Must say I wholeheartedly agree with you. Between Professor Roy Taylor (Newcastle Diet), GI Institute (Sydney University) and in particular the Joslin Diabetes Centre I got myself into a really good space (and continue to stay here following a mediterranean style eating plan). The advice from these organisation have been balanced and really useful (I realise a lot may disagree with me).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am confused, you stop taking Metformin, because of wanting to continue weight loss, and then re-started it again, when desired weight loss was attained. My doctor said...Metformin has nothing to do with weight loss/gain.

You are finding my signature ambiguous.

My weight loss was an attempt to improve BG control.
I stopped taking Metformin so that I could see the effect of the weight loss without the confusion over what was due to weight loss and what was due to Metformin.
I wasn't expecting Metformin to directly affect weight loss; just to directly affect BG levels.
Also, my weight loss stalled i.e. I didn't achieve my target.
So I restarted Metformin because on balance it is better for you all round.
Should I ever get down to the mythical 11 stone 7 lbs I will then run for a while on Metformin then come off it for a while just to see what effect it is having.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And when you have Diabetes "educators" telling my mum to ensure she has toast in the morning to help soak up the Insulin, you have to do the face palm...
Like "here, take these panadol, because I'm going to hit you in the head with this hammer!"

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Woh ! This stirred up a storm.
I have ignored my official diet sheet as I would put on weight and they advised me to loose weight. Ergo. I went LC.
Lost lots of weight. Felt years better, despite getting older. AND believe it or not .They tell me I am cured
I took a course in The Physiology of Diabetes at Amsterdam Uni. That gave me a considerable insite into our mutual problem. But I saw nothing that suggested a cure was imminent. So keep on low carbing and testing. (Even if I do have to pay for my own kit ).o_O

Dutchman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been diabetic since 1989 which suddenly started after a road traffic accident, I believe that the shock of the accident bought it on as before the accident I was fine .

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been diabetic since 1989 which suddenly started after a road traffic accident, I believe that the shock of the accident bought it on as before the accident I was fine .

My husbands cousin witnessed a multuple murder when he was a boy and developed type 1 from the shock... this is what they were told by doctors too.