Just Byetta

chris_h

Dislikes
Rap, grung and annoying people.
Hi my name is Chris, I am new to this forum and new to Byetta, I was on Metformin but formed an allergic reaction to it, I started turning yellow, so was put onto Insulin with the same results, they changed my insulin and I was fine but was gaining so much weight I was so depressed, Then my Diabetic Nurse suggested Byetta, My GP agreed and I went onto have 5mg for the first 30 days then onto !0mgs which I started last Friday. Is anyone else on Byetta and food control only, as I have read that most people are on both oral and Byetta. I was wondering how this works on it's own with just food. I have lost 10lbs so far but have yet to have my bloods checked. I have not experianced any of the side effects just the weight loss, and have not felt this good in a long time.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Chris.As you can see I have made your post a topic on it's own so that it didn't get lost! Hopefully there will be a Byetta user along shortly to offer advice.

sixfoot

Chris H hello and welcome, Byetta isnt usually given as a standalone. But given your particular circumstances its probably a rock or hard place. I hope it works as well for you as it appears to work for most others. Until things settle down and your Diabetes team are happy you would be well advised to keep in good contact with them.
You will find a few threads on here for Byetta they contain very usefull info on experiences - side effects etc and how people get on with it.

Good luck
Dave P

martinbuchan

Just let us all know how you are getting on with it. There are a few members on it, but most will be on oral meds as well. A few like me are on insulin and want byetta too.

Good luck!

xxxleonadxxx

Hi Chris,

I too am on Byetta, although along with other meds, due to being allergic to insulin (all forms). I was on the 5mg pen for 1 week and then moved onto the 10mg pen, although I am experiencing severe side effects (as in the sickness being the worst) and no weightloss as yet, but not overly bothered about that.

In the short space that I have been on it I have noticed a drop in my bloods, so thats good. I have been told by my docs that I may at some point have to go back onto insulin but will just have to get creative with how its administered .......... only time will tell I suppose !!!!

Good luck with it.

Leona.

chris_h

Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
Welcome to the forum,Chris.As you can see I have made your post a topic on it's own so that it didn't get lost! Hopefully there will be a Byetta user along shortly to offer advice.
Thank you for that. wasn't sure if I should post a topic on my first go on the forum. Thanks to everyone else for their Good Luck wishes.
Been a week now on 10 pen and so far so good. I will be seeing my Diabetic Nurse in a few days, will let you all know what she says about my progress.
Chris.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. Its always nice to see another addition to the growing band of byetta users in the UK. As Dave said, byetta is not licenced for use in the UK as a stand-alone medication, so due to your circumstances they must have made an exception. You haven't mentioned any nausea so I guess that like Dave and me you managed to avoid that little obstacle.

Do you have a Blood Glucose monitor to test your BG levels with? If not then ask your diabetes support team if they can give you one. The monitors are not available on NHS prescription in England (although strangely the test strips are), but the manufacturers are always giving away free samples to GPs and DNs. If your support team doesn't have a spare one they can give you then they are not expensive to buy. Usually Boots or Lloyds has a special offer on one of the brands. You don't need to go overboard with testing, probably once a day will be enough to see whether your BG is under control and going in the right general direction. The byetta should have the effect of bringing your BG levels down gradually, but if not then you will need to help it by varying your diet. You will find lots of advice on diet in this section of the forum and also in the "Food Forum" section.

Good luck to you and please keep us informed on how you progress on byetta. You are one of very few, and possibly the only one, who has byetta with no other meds, so your case is one that can prove just how effective byetta can be without any other help.

chris_h

Dislikes
Hi Dennis,
Have had trouble with my blood levels they were going all over the place after a week on 10 byetta, and my vision was bad, went to the Dr's today and he put me back on the Metformin in hope that with byetta it will not have a bad reaction. So far with taking 4 tablets today so good, this was a different Dr to what I saw last time, and he was amaized that I had the spit on it's own. I will keep you informed as to how I go on both. After reading all what everyone had said about byetta I was supprised I was only on it with diet.

chris_h

Dislikes
Have not been on for a while have been quite bad. Sugars went through the roof and had to go to hospital they were up in the 40's. One of the GP's in my practice didn't read my notes about Metformin and me, I am now on the slow release Metformin and Byetta, so far so good but only had both together for a week, and am being monitored very carefully this time. Blood count down to about 21 most days. One good thing to come out of it is I have lost a stone and a half in seven weeks. but would not recommend anyone to lose it this way.

sixfoot

Chris H good to see you back posting again , I know you have had a hell of a ride with your circumstances but the worst is yet to come !!!

At this rate you will need a whole new wardrobe in a few weeks :D A big OUCH pocketwise

Good on ya
Dave P