metformin. can't do it anymore

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was also told by my diabetic nurse that 4 x metformin (500mg) is the absolute max.
You can take other medication that does a similar job alongside metformin though.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Nobody should have to live with side effects like that. There is a SR version which us supposed to be a little kinder on the stomach which you could try ( if not already ?). Anyway, a trip back to your doc is certainly in order to sort this out. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hate to be a downer, but my experiences with SR are not much better. Actually came on here because I too have had it with Metformin - been on it a few years and it seems to have got worse over time. Not to say SR won't work for you.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I find that Metformin and wheat are not good friends, so gave up the wheat. I also found that the more carbs you eat with it, the worse I got wind.

Nobody told me that one of the side effects of Met was the runs, on the first day of taking it, went shopping, spent the whole time going from loo to loo, decided to give up the shopping and went home.

I'm now on the SR version, it is great to only take it once a day and not to have to eat three times a day just because I had to take a tablet.

The SR does cost more, so if you can stand the bog standard version, then that's what you get until you complain.

There is research going on into Metformin and stomach problems http://www.exeter.crf.nihr.ac.uk/sites/ ... on%202.pdf

Denise, I will give the wheat free option but I have W grandchildren with coeliac disease and know the difficulties wheat free presents - on top of sugar and free and low carbs - what on earth does one eat. I gave up the evil weed to find my sugars have soared. How troublesome this all.is becoming

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnr.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suffered from wind and one Dr if any think could be done and she smiled and said there was nothing she could do and I was to hope my wind was not to loud and she just smiled.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I suffer from the wind too and blame the Metformin as never had that problem before....can be embarasing at times laughs

Dusk71

I suffered terribly with this, then discovered how eating 'good bacteria' foods can help. Then changed this to a bacteria tablet from Holland and Barrett (Acidophilus ) ... This stopped most wind and completely got rid of the nasty smell !!!

Britannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am so fed up with the vomiting & diarrhoea Metformin gives me & I am on the SR one. My doctor gave me Metroclopramide for vomiting but it makes me very tired. I have just put on half a stone & am really down & depressed

Angel_Bear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get terrible wind which is very embarrassing & offensive. I'm in a wheelchair,& palliative is it really worth it. my GP looking into alternative.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:thumbdown: :cry: :cry: . I just cant handle taking metformin any more . It makes me feel ill . I dread taking it . It also has the awful side affect of Diarrhea I just cant bring myself to take it any more. I would have loved to have been able to post this anonymously as its very embarrassing but here goes . I have severaly times lets call them accidents all be it on a relatively small scale. And the added danger of metformins windy ways adds somewhat of a Russian roulette eliment to the day . However last nigh I went out to a reesteraun and had a very nice meal every thing fine but when I arrived home with family in car as I exited the carbthe unthinkable happened and not on the small scale of previous disasters. I had to run into the house and into the bathroom not because i still needed to go but because i didnt want anyone to see me like that . What if it had happened when riseing from my meal at the restaurant. Or even at work (I dont think I could go back in). I have now not taken metformin since yesterday and I dont think I can face taking it again EVER!!. I am going to try and talk to either the nurse or dr today and either get put on somthing elses or just stop taking it all together. I think I would rather run higher than take it. I realise that this is a disgusting subject unfortunately it is something that is making my life a misery. And guidence would be appreciated. Sorry for any upsetncaused by reading this thread.

I had similar tummy issues when I started taking Metformin, such that I dreaded going out of the house. because of the bloated feeling and the flatulence . I discussed this with my Pharmacist who recommended taking Charcoal Tablets (sold in tubs of 100 @£3 61p. Instant success. Once I regained confidence my tummy was under control, I now only take them as and when required. Hope this helps you too, as taking your Metformin is important.

Shaydollar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:thumbdown: :cry: :cry: . I just cant handle taking metformin any more . It makes me feel ill . I dread taking it . It also has the awful side affect of Diarrhea I just cant bring myself to take it any more. I would have loved to have been able to post this anonymously as its very embarrassing but here goes . I have severaly times lets call them accidents all be it on a relatively small scale. And the added danger of metformins windy ways adds somewhat of a Russian roulette eliment to the day . However last nigh I went out to a reesteraun and had a very nice meal every thing fine but when I arrived home with family in car as I exited the carbthe unthinkable happened and not on the small scale of previous disasters. I had to run into the house and into the bathroom not because i still needed to go but because i didnt want anyone to see me like that . What if it had happened when riseing from my meal at the restaurant. Or even at work (I dont think I could go back in). I have now not taken metformin since yesterday and I dont think I can face taking it again EVER!!. I am going to try and talk to either the nurse or dr today and either get put on somthing elses or just stop taking it all together. I think I would rather run higher than take it. I realise that this is a disgusting subject unfortunately it is something that is making my life a misery. And guidence would be appreciated. Sorry for any upsetncaused by reading this thread.
I had the same thing happen to me but I was home it gives me a headache and mild diarrhea u are not alone

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks for posting @whompa73. We need this information to be out there, whether embarrassing or not. I've been on Metformin for some time now (2000mg per day). Although it does sometimes give me extremely windy diarrhoea, especially mid morning, the bigger problem is that this in turn gives me the irresistible urge to pee. So, although I have never dirtied myself ( yet), I have had small pee accidents, usually when driving on motorways etc. .Well, yesterday we went for a drive which turned out to be longer than expected due to roadworks and diversions. There was just nowhere to stop and about 5 minutes from our destination ( a small seaside town), I wet myself quite badly. Got to the toilet and had the diarrhoea and more pee but my trousers were very obviously wet. I've never been so embarrassed. Found a shop selling pants and got a pair of ( new looking) joggers at a charity shop and got changed within about 10 minutes. Just as well I was in a town where nobody knows me! Wife a bit shocked but remarkably calm and helpful. I need to get my carbs back under control, ask the doctor about slow release,( I'm already dropping to 1000 mg a day), and put a spare set of clothes in the car. I too thought twice about posting this but who else can we talk to but fellow sufferers. All the best.

Reactions: 6 people

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having read your post I am most saddened for you. It makes me aware how lucky I am on Metformin, Gliclazide, Sitagliptin and a medley of others, without complaint apart from a short spell of flatulence (cured with charcoal tablets) and increasing weight gain (being successfully tackled with a low carb diet) Your GP will be be well aware of the distress you feel, and I am certain will be sympathetic in modifying either the dosage or product he has prescribed. Good luck in your quest.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for posting @whompa73. We need this information to be out there, whether embarrassing or not. I've been on Metformin for some time now (2000mg per day). Although it does sometimes give me extremely windy diarrhoea, especially mid morning, the bigger problem is that this in turn gives me the irresistible urge to pee. So, although I have never dirtied myself ( yet), I have had small pee accidents, usually when driving on motorways etc. .Well, yesterday we went for a drive which turned out to be longer than expected due to roadworks and diversions. There was just nowhere to stop and about 5 minutes from our destination ( a small seaside town), I wet myself quite badly. Got to the toilet and had the diarrhoea and more pee but my trousers were very obviously wet. I've never been so embarrassed. Found a shop selling pants and got a pair of ( new looking) joggers at a charity shop and got changed within about 10 minutes. Just as well I was in a town where nobody knows me! Wife a bit shocked but remarkably calm and helpful. I need to get my carbs back under control, ask the doctor about slow release,( I'm already dropping to 1000 mg a day), and put a spare set of clothes in the car. I too thought twice about posting this but who else can we talk to but fellow sufferers. All the best.
As another sufferer of the "pee" urge Dougie, my GP prescribed me Tamulosin 400g daily, and I have lost that "going to pee myself" urge and I can now plan journeys with comfortable confidence.. Hope this is of value to you.

Bevz45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had the same side effects and my doctor put me on slow release metformin which seems to have worked but I still get the effects if I eat things I shouldn't.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please report side effects for meds on the MHRA website yellow card scheme.... Its the only way to educate NICE, GPs, Drug Companies of real side effects to real people not just trials and mice!!

Yetiandy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm On SR Metformin, 2 x 500mg 2x per day, Gliclazide 60mg and Bydureon 1 x per week, I never suffered with stomach problems, however I have been diagnosed with fissures in my stomach and oesophagus could this be linked?

Chrissie2016

I had the same trouble and the doctor put me on a slow release Metformin and that cured the problem. I just take it at night now and not three times a day.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that Metformin and wheat are not good friends, so gave up the wheat. I also found that the more carbs you eat with it, the worse I got wind.

Nobody told me that one of the side effects of Met was the runs, on the first day of taking it, went shopping, spent the whole time going from loo to loo, decided to give up the shopping and went home.

I'm now on the SR version, it is great to only take it once a day and not to have to eat three times a day just because I had to take a tablet.

The SR does cost more, so if you can stand the bog standard version, then that's what you get until you complain.

There is research going on into Metformin and stomach problems http://www.exeter.crf.nihr.ac.uk/sites/ ... on%202.pdf
Oh that's awful. You don't have to put up with it though, definately speak to your diabetic team. Thankfully I didn't have this side effect but I was very sick with it but they swapped me to slow release version which is much better on your tummy. Gliclaside might also be an option but it's got it's own set of side effects. It's finding the ones you can live with.

juliep1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had IBS when I started on Metformin and it does not help.If I know I am going out I don't take my morning dosage.I have to take anti diarreha tablets too often for my liking but having read your posts I will be asking to try the SR

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just switched to modified release metformin. However I can only tolerate one tablet a day. If I take more I feel ill and tired, but not on the scale of you. Hope your GP gets things sorted for you. Xx