Travel Insurance

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all having a devil of a time finding travel insurance that will also give me cover for my condition seems most mainstream are happy to give you cover as long as any medical costs should you require them are not related to your condition.which with diabetes is a bit of an open book as their are many possible complications to it, And throw in cardiomyopathy (thickened heart walls ) Inhereted having problems.I am well aware i will need to pay a higher premium for cover.But any suggestions as to who may give me cover would be greatly appreciated.

sambucca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all having a devil of a time finding travel insurance that will also give me cover for my condition seems most mainstream are happy to give you cover as long as any medical costs should you require them are not related to your condition.which with diabetes is a bit of an open book as their are many possible complications to it, And throw in cardiomyopathy (thickened heart walls ) Inhereted having problems.I am well aware i will need to pay a higher premium for cover.But any suggestions as to who may give me cover would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if this will help at all but I have my travel insurance with Lloyds bank as part of my account benefits. I pay £13 per month. All my medical problems are covered which includes diabetes. I had to make a claim back in Feb this year had no problem.

Reactions: 2 people

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
not a LLoyds customer but will certainly look into what they can offer.Thank you for your reply

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Try Saga. I saw an advert on the telly recently, darn it, the company escapes me now, sorry. But they were a group of people at a swimming pool, a light hearted ad.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not a LLoyds customer but will certainly look into what they can offer.Thank you for your reply
I think most banks do this sort of packaged account. I have current accounts with Bank of Scotland and Nationwide, and both do it. Some include breakdown cover and a few other frills you may or may not find attractive.

If you have private medical insurance you may find you have some travel over included, but it depends on the scale of the u dealing plan and where you up intend travelling to.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use Insureandgo. Just got a quote for annual worldwide (silver band) insurance. The basic cost was £52.99 plus a medical premium of £42.36 to cover T2 diabetes and a couple of other pre-existing conditions, total of £93.35
You can get a quote online on their website.
It was cheaper than others I looked at, one was £257.93 for similar cover!

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel very wary of travel insurance. Recently diagnosed with type 1 and complications. Read in paper recently of someone with heart condition who declared it to company but when making a large claim had it rejected because they went through his medical history with a fine tooth comb and found something 20 years earlier he'd forgotten about. Are there any forms where you can give them a copy of medical history and say please read and give me a price that is guaranteed to cover me? Maybe I'm just being paranoid lol.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel very wary of travel insurance. Recently diagnosed with type 1 and complications. Read in paper recently of someone with heart condition who declared it to company but when making a large claim had it rejected because they went through his medical history with a fine tooth comb and found something 20 years earlier he'd forgotten about. Are there any forms where you can give them a copy of medical history and say please read and give me a price that is guaranteed to cover me? Maybe I'm just being paranoid lol.
Unfortunately Insurance companies are very happy to take your money and charge through the nose, but then wriggle and squirm every which way to avoid paying out when you need them. Interesting that they went through the person's medical records, which means they have access to them without our knowledge. Maybe we should just say when applying "You obviously have access to my medical records. Check them and provide a quote".

Reactions: 4 people

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure they didn't get permission to see records but if giving permission is a requirement of claiming I guess you'd say yes. Agree with you @plantaganet would rather they saw record first and if result is s premium I can't afford I won't travel but at least no fear of nasty surprise.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your replies will take a closer look at weekend when i have a bit more time available and investigate the options

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No you're not. Most insurance fraud is committed by the companies themselves finding ways to refuse payment.

I recently had to notify my company about high cholesterol which was under investigation. They decided not to cover it.

So, I asked, if I have a heart attack because of my diabetes, will you say it was the cholesterol, and refuse payment. I was assured they would not. I know different.

Chris9450

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! We have recently purchased a couples, annual, multi-trip policy through Staysure. Saga and the diabetes site insurance broker were over twice the price! Try several quotes from different companies. There are newer companies out there wanting your cash. We eventually phoned Staysure and gave them the £50 cheaper competitive quote from a company we didn't know, i.e. a name we didn't recognise. They bettered the quote. Saved ourselves over £1000! Don't get sucked in, check your quote levels are the same for medical cover etc and then go on the phone and chat! Good luck!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The £257.93 quote I got was from Staysure. I will probably go with the £93.35 quote I got from Insureand go, but I might ring Staysure to see if they will offer a lower quote.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might ring Staysure to see if they will offer a lower quote.

They can't afford to, those stupid TV Ads cost a fortune.

You have to ask yourself with quotes as high as some of those mentioned, whether it is worth it ? I think I would assume the risk myself, rather than pay out that much so the Insurance company can assume what I'm reality must be such a tiny risk.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have to ask yourself with quotes as high as some of those mentioned, whether it is worth it ? I think I would assume the risk myself, rather than pay out that much so the Insurance company can assume what I'm reality must be such a tiny risk.

Really so for the sake of £300 pound a year you would put your house and god knows what else on the line for medical bills ?for the sake of a couple of hundred quid

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Really so for the sake of £300 pound a year you would put your house and god knows what else on the line for medical bills ?for the sake of a couple of hundred quid

Where are you actually travelling to? I'm not asking for addresses or anything silly, but are you going to Europe, USA/Canada/Caribbean, Australasia, for example. The country would be ideal.

fuseman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow some of them prices are stupid, what in heavens name are you insuring. Just had a week in Lanzarote with my wife I'm 61 and have type 2 (for 15 years) have high blood pressure ( on 3 meds a day) and high cholesterol, my wife is 58 and has high blood pressure ( 1 tab a day) all these conditions declared and accepted by insurance. premium for the two of us just over £14.00 (fourteen) Puffin Insurance via compare the market.