73 Years Young With An A1c Of 6.3

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Anyone with a senior parent who is pre-diabetic and underweight? (Or a senior themselves for that matter).

----
Well just got my dad's test results in, logged in to review his results and 6.3 was not the number I was happy to see before me.

Now under the Canadian Diabetes Association 5.9 n lower is non-diabetic, 6.0 to 6.4 is pre and 6.5 is T2 (at a min - t1 isn't assumed without other factors in the mix).

Now he started b12 injections because of low b12 (last b12 reading after his third injection was 415, don't have the numbers per that). So I know b12 apparently can effect a1c numbers +/- so I'm thinking that if my testing him at random during the day is showing normal number then it's the b12 that might be the cause of the a1c # ... however, I'll still have him get a new test in 3 months to varify the a1c number regardless.

My dad is 73, 6'4" n 140 pounds and hasn't been able to put weight on (in 40 years he's actually maintained 160 pounds until the past 2 years) despite what he eats he's actually lost more weight over the past 6 months that it's like hugging a stick he's all bones now.

He's super active clocking in 10k to 15k in his regular walking each day (fitbit tracking). Has never been a drinker (when I was young he might have a skrewdriver once a year if we where on vacation and not going anywhere for 24 hours) and never smoked a day on his life and takes in around 100 grams or less of carbs in a day total, eggs are a staple in his meal plan with his cholesterol levels being perfect/low (on a diabetic scale it's perfect - non diabetic it's considered low).

I'm semi concerned about his health, my mom was a diet controlled t2 for 40 odd years never on medication or insulin with a a1c of 4.6 to 4.8 the last decade of her life. I'm a T1 with a a1c of 4.8 to 5.2 so I've got enough knowledge to cook for him if he is either side of the D scale.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think the guidelines for his age are to be under 6.7. He is doing a lot more physically than other dudes his age.
I don't know the age thing I've not seen anything from the CDA in regard to it just that he doesn't meet any of the t2 standards and if the weight loss side is anything it's closer to t1 actually (t1.5 possible). His cholesterol for a diabetic is perfect yet for a non it's on the low side.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It might be worth doing spot checks of his blood glucose levels to see what they are. They may be perfectly fine.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It might be worth doing spot checks of his blood glucose levels to see what they are. They may be perfectly fine.
That's the plan he's not a fan of the idea but told him he can do it himself instead either way he's testing to be on the safe side

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Interesting that you are t1. Any family members on his side with autoimmune diseases? I wonder if he might be lada .. is there any kind of age cut off point for lada, does anyone know?