Injecting at school

Shazza

Hi Just wondered where children inject at school? Ewan is currently at primary and they have been excellent he injects in the first aid room and keeps his insulin, small cans juice etc in their fridge, he goes to the Academy this year and it looks like that will be completly diff, he was there today for a visit when his classroom asst took him to the first aid room to inject before lunch the nurse said well he cant do it in here!! she told him to go and do it in the disabled toilet :evil: im not happy about his at all, so just wanted advice as to what others do?

thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
That is disgraceful.

We have had discussions on here about injecting in Toilet's before. That is the filthiest place you could possibly think of to inject in !!! What sort of Nurse tells somebody to do that. She should be ashamed of herself and doesn't deserve the title of a Health Care Professional...... :twisted:

Go to see the Head/Principal and demand that your son be allowed to inject in a safe clean environment.
It is his right, do not take no for an answer.

ZACNEMMA

Hi Shazza

The transition from primary to secondary school is big enough for type 1 children, without that kind of sub-standard practice. My son Zac is 14 and attends an academy, he injects in a first aid area and has the same person everyday to oversee this.

My advice for you would be to find out from the school what practice will be in place when he starts in september. Also of course what the school knows about type 1. Zac's nurse from the hospital went to my son's school and spoke about good practice, perhaps that is something you could talk to Ewan's diabetic team about.

I wish you and Ewan love and luck along with resolve on the issue xx

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Shazza,
Its not the first time a child/adult has been told to inject in a toilet, coming from a health care worker, it really is disgraceful and i hope you put her in her place, if ever you get the chance to confront her.
Andrew makes his way back to his classroom after lunch to inject, but then he's still at primary and its easier. He also carries all his stuff in his school bag, this is something i hope he can continue to do at his next school (he has an interview at St Martins College in Malta on the 5th March) Fingers crossed there an understanding bunch!
Hope things sort themselves out, take care
Suzi x

Shazza

Hi I,m really surprise by the nurses attitude, he said the fitness teacher knew all about T1 and spoke to him a bit about it, I know there are other T1,s in the school ... surely they dont all inject in the toilet, I will be making an appointment with the school before his induction day in June, his DN has already said she will have a meeting with the school before he starts, thank goodness. Theres no way I,m having him inject in toilets every day.

Thanks all for your advice
x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The Special Needs co-ordinator( SENCO) in a school has enormous power. That's the person I'd approach.
Hana

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That truely is disgraceful! There is no way anyone should be expected to inject in a toilet, as has already been said it's a filthy place full of germs. I agree with what Hanna said, the SENCO does have a lot of power and I'd approach that person for help with this issue. Don't take no for an answer, your child deserves better treatment than that.

Contact the school, speak to the SENCO and the Headteacher and explain what was said by the nurse. My daughter may not be her DNurse's favourite person at the moment, but even she would go mental if she was told to inject in a toilet. There are 7 T1s in her school and they have to queue to use the two medical rooms! My girl has the luxury of my office so she comes and injects there instead some days. Seriously, complain! I'd also like to add that your son should now be on the SEN register which means he is worth more money than a non-T1 child. They should be bowing over themselves to apologise.

Theunicornlady said:
I'd also like to add that your son should now be on the SEN register which means he is worth more money than a non-T1 child. They should be bowing over themselves to apologise.

I don't understand why this would be so - why would the education needs of a diabetic be any different?

I'd really appreciate an explanation - especially as this might be of benefit to my daughter.

Also do you know where the extra money comes from - the local education authority, health authority, government or somewhere else?

Thanks

EloiseMum

mumofteendotter said:
Theunicornlady said:
I'd also like to add that your son should now be on the SEN register which means he is worth more money than a non-T1 child. They should be bowing over themselves to apologise.

I don't understand why this would be so - why would the education needs of a diabetic be any different?

I'd really appreciate an explanation - especially as this might be of benefit to my daughter.

Also do you know where the extra money comes from - the local education authority, health authority, government or somewhere else?

Thanks

Not sure what its for or where it comes from but i've also been asked by our school SENCO to sign some forms that will enable the school to get funding.

As per the topic of post my daughter does her's in the class room just before dinner as she is newly diagnosed i'm going in on lunch times to help her with dose, its disgusting your son was asked to do his in toilet with all the worry the young ones have of starting school as it is :evil: I have an appointment with my chosen secondary school next week to meet SENCO and this is a question i'll be bringing up.

Joanne

andybeet

in high school they should have some wellbeing coordinator or medical officer who is always free to help. They should have an office where supplies can be stored. I'm a T1 teacher and in my school the wellbeing coordinators keep glucose, insulin and glucogon in their office for a couple of pupils and i suppose for me if it were necessary. Kick up a fuss and ensure they have all the things in place. if necessary threaten to move schools cos they wont want to loose pupil places.

goodluck

ab

keycare

mumofteendotter said:
Theunicornlady said:

Thanks

SEN simply means specials needs required when your child is at school. Do not confuse with educational needs. My daughter is T1 and is at Primary school year 6, she has a statement of special needs which is envaluable to obtaining help for her whilst in school. Currently she has a 1/2 time dedicated carer paid for by the local health authority who spends all morning in the same class as her and is on hand during the afternoon. This will dissappear when she goes to comprehensive school but the statement will remain. This does not mean she is mentally disabled! She just needs additional care when dealing with diabetes stuff. Just in the same way that a child with physical disabilities is not mentally disabled but it would be clear that they need special attention whilst at school.

I think all children with T1 should have a statement of special needs as it can be used to ensure that the school adheres to certain standards of care. e.g providing a safe environment to inject or test, provide protocol and 1 to 1 care if/when a hypo occurs, etc.

dot

My son is in secondary school, now year nine. My son does his injections in the school office. That is also where he keeps a tim with spare needles, injection pens, hypo kits etc. There is another lad in his year who is also T1 - I think he also uses the office.

Frances3940

Hi Shazza,

I'm a type 1 teacher at a secondary school and I inject either in the staff room or even in the school canteen if I'm on duty there. I'm sure it can be awkward at first for pupils/kids to inject publicly but in the long run, it's helpful if everyone in the school community knows about your child's condition. It's also not ideal to have to inject then go somewhere else to eat (for example to then queue up in the lunch line etc), in case of hypos. I'd insist that the school let your child inject where/when he eats, just to be safest. It's such a shame and so frustrating that so many people working in schools, still know so little about this quite common condition! Good luck :) :) :)