Finding Employment With Type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I am a 23 year old type 1 diabetic, and have been for around the last 5 years. I am at home living with my parents at the minute so I know I do not have the same financial responsibilities as the majority who post here.

I wanted to ask 2 questions really, but let me give a little context first.

I recently finished up in a temp contract which was extremely difficult for me to complete with my T1. The only work where I am (Rotherham) seems to be working in some kind of call centre. These jobs are all more than 45 HR + per week, and have incredibly irregular shift patterns, and 2-3 hrs from home on public transport . I have found myself bouncing between one position to another either because of unsupportive employers (my previous employer to my last role would not let me test my blood at my desk, have hypo treatment there or even go for lunch on time which had disastorous consequences), or because the nature of the work involved spending large amounts of time sat at a desk and on a bus which means I live at work and do not get enough exercise and end up with extremely high blood sugars, running into the twenties and thirties even when taking 30+ units of background insulin.

My first question is this -
I am a new member here, and it does not seem to be a common problem amongst people with T1, so I wanted to ask - does anyone have any tips, or anything that would help me in any way to get a leg up somehow? At the moment I am struggling to hold down a position for more than a few months at a time. I seem to go through the same pattern of deterioration with each employer until I do actually become unable to work for a few days due to illness, at which point I am let go. Is their anything I can do to make this more bearable, or any way for me to secure a position that is a little more active due to my diabetes that anyone knows about? Maybe their is something I could present to one of these employers which means that they would have to show a little further care towards me and my diabetes? I have queried this with my GP and unfortunately he is as much help as a chocolate fireguard.

I was also curious as to what experiences other members have had with the job centre as well. Obviously as I am unemployed and trying to find work, I have to attend, but this is also with great difficulty. I am given £120 a fortnight, and I have to find £50 weekly rent + bus tickets + my own food from that, and the job centre have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for me. I have not been able to buy anything suitable to treat Hypo's purely due to lack of funds (I usually have to eat dry shredded wheat - no joke - although they have no ran out too lol). I have needed additional money to have my HBA1C done (as I need to buy a bus ticket to the hospital for example), and they turned me down - or as another example, I had to miss an interview today as it was taking place around 15 miles from my house and I had no money for a bus ticket or anything to treat a hypo. When I asked the DWP for a bus ticket to the interview, I was told to walk there?? When I queried this and explained I was a type 1 diabetic with nothing for an emergency, this made no difference and they still wanted me to walk. I did walk, had a hypo half way there and luckily a shop owner gave me a can of coke when I explained the situation, however I came straight home as I did not feel safe attending the interview at that stage as I knew I would have another Hypo. I have been unable to rearrange this interview yet as I do not want to risk it walking, and I do not know if I will be sanctioned for failing to attend an interview.

Does anyone have any experience with similar circumstances regarding the job centre also? At the moment I just don't really see how it's possible to stay safe under their policies, and again, I am just wondering if there is any kind of exception, emergency payment on even free hypo treatments someone would be entitled to whilst claiming jobseekers? I know there was a tragic story a while ago (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions) obivously I am living at home so I'm not at as much risk as someone living alone, but surely there is somewhere I could get help?

Thanks Guys - even if you can't suggest anything to help sort my particular problem, if you have had experiences with employers or the job centre relating to your diabetes in the past, I would love to hear them just so I know I am not alone.

Thanks

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With regards to a previous employer refusing to allow you to test bg levels at your desk, all employers are obliged by law to make reasonable adjustments for illnesses and disabilities.

You would not be harming anyone by testing at your desk, on the contrary, you're ensuring your own safety to continue work. It's petty discrimination at best. If they don't want you testing at your desk, they have to provide a suitable place to do so.

The jobcentre and DWP is only interested in removal of benefits in my experience. I have only been type 1 since last year, however, I have had Crohn's for 11 years. I had major surgery in 2011 that resulted in a ten week stay in hospital. I was told it would take two years to fully recover because of the severity of illness, yet the DWP called me in for a fit for work assessment within a month of leaving hospital. At the time I could barely walk, weighed 7st and needed assistance to navigate obstacles such as pavement curbs. They hounded me for months and even sent me a letter informing me that I had been cured of Crohn's, which is incurable. They also falsified answers I had given to questionnaires and on forms etc. Eventually I restarted my business and slowly got myself to work that way, but it was no thanks to the jobcentre or DWP. They only made it more difficult to get myself well and back to work.

I am not alone though, some are treated far worse.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I am a 23 year old type 1 diabetic, and have been for around the last 5 years. I am at home living with my parents at the minute so I know I do not have the same financial responsibilities as the majority who post here.

I recently finished up in a temp contract which was extremely difficult for me to complete with my T1. The only work where I am (Rotherham) seems to be working in some kind of call centre. These jobs are all more than 45 HR + per week, and have incredibly irregular shift patterns, and 2-3 hrs from home on public transport . I have found myself bouncing between one position to another either because of unsupportive employers (my previous employer to my last role would not let me test my blood at my desk, have hypo treatment there or even go for lunch on time which had disastorous consequences), or because the nature of the work involved spending large amounts of time sat at a desk and on a bus which means I live at work and do not get enough exercise and end up with extremely high blood sugars, running into the twenties and thirties even when taking 30+ units of background insulin.

I am a new member here, and it does not seem to be a common problem amongst people with T1, so I wanted to ask - does anyone have any tips, or anything that would help me in any way to get a leg up somehow? At the moment I am struggling to hold down a position for more than a few months at a time. I seem to go through the same pattern of deterioration with each employer until I do actually become unable to work for a few days due to illness, at which point I am let go. Is their anything I can do to make this more bearable, or any way for me to secure a position that is a little more active due to my diabetes that anyone knows about? Maybe their is something I could present to one of these employers which means that they would have to show a little further care towards me and my diabetes? I have queried this with my GP and unfortunately he is as much help as a chocolate fireguard.

I was also curious as to what experiences other members have had with the job centre as well. Obviously as I am unemployed and trying to find work, I have to attend, but this is also with great difficulty. I am given £120 a fortnight, and I have to find £50 weekly rent + bus tickets + my own food from that, and the job centre have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for me. I have not been able to buy anything suitable to treat Hypo's purely due to lack of funds (I usually have to eat dry shredded wheat - no joke - although they have no ran out too lol). I have needed additional money to have my HBA1C done (as I need to buy a bus ticket to the hospital for example), and they turned me down - or as another example, I had to miss an interview today as it was taking place around 15 miles from my house and I had no money for a bus ticket or anything to treat a hypo. When I asked the DWP for a bus ticket to the interview, I was told to walk there?? When I queried this and explained I was a type 1 diabetic with nothing for an emergency, this made no difference and they still wanted me to walk. I did walk, had a hypo half way there and luckily a shop owner gave me a can of coke when I explained the situation, however I came straight home as I did not feel safe attending the interview at that stage as I knew I would have another Hypo. I have been unable to rearrange this interview yet as I do not want to risk it walking, and I do not know if I will be sanctioned for failing to attend an interview.

Does anyone have any experience with similar circumstances regarding the job centre also? At the moment I just don't really see how it's possible to stay safe under their policies, and again, I am just wondering if there is any kind of exception, emergency payment on even free hypo treatments someone would be entitled to whilst claiming jobseekers? I know there was a tragic story a while ago (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions) obivously I am living at home so I'm not at as much risk as someone living alone, but surely there is somewhere I could get help?

Thanks Guys - even if you can't suggest anything to help sort my particular problem, if you have had experiences with employers or the job centre relating to your diabetes in the past, I would love to hear them just so I know I am not alone.

Thanks
I would think you will be sanctioned though. A heart patient was sanctioned for not attending an appointment, even though she was in hospital at the time.

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear your having such a rough time
I know how you feel about the job centre as they are very impractical as I was told to go and work in a shop 40+ hrs a week unpaid and to bike there which involved 2 dual carriage ways and 2 main rounder bouts and with poor blood sugar control. Have you spoke to them that you have to pay rent as they should help you financially with that and surely your old work place should have been more considerate. Have you considered going to citizens advice or seeking help with the work. Hope things soon work out always here if you need a chat

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @cheesecakejake

Your employers have to make reasonable adjustments because you have Type 1. That includes facilitating blood tests and letting you keep hypo treatments near (although they may stipulate that you can't have liquids). I've worked in a call centre and I was allowed to keep my meter and glucose tablets on my desk. I was also given an extra 'time allowance' for blood tests (we all had charts of how much time we were 'not available').

I suggest next time you start a job you make sure your manager understands Type 1. Easier said than done, I know, but I found being brief and specific helped eg "I need to test my blood sugar every X minutes" I also stressed that allowing me to look after my diabetes would be a win-win as I'd be more productive.

Have you spoken to the Disability Advisor at your local Job Centre. Sometimes they can be a bit variable in their response, but they may have suggestions for you.

If you're living at home, it's unlikely you'd get any extra money. You could ask about help with attending interviews though and see what they say at the Job Centre.

I'm moving this to the Employment section for you. Have a read around the threads here :)

Edited to add - as for looking for jobs, are there any training courses abailable that you could do? Any work experience (check with the Job Centre first)?

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am not type1 but type2, so sorry that I am commenting on this.
Regarding the DWP, they will sanction anyone over the most petty things, I was santioned for 4 months because of my bipolar,
Re your question, I would say your employer that would not allow you to test was awful.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi

Thanks

Hi
If you attend appointments at secondary care (usually at a hospital and referred by your GP ) you could try claiming the transport costs using an HC5(T ) form which you can download. I would advise you check the conditions carefully to make sure you're eligible. Sometimes you can collect the cash for your ticket from an office at the hospital, but do check first, and have you got your card for free prescriptions?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cant help with the job centre/ benefits side of things but I can give you my experience of employment since being a t1. I was diagnosed in feb and had been employed for over a year in my job.

The biggest thing is showing that the t1 doesn't negatively affect you. When I diagnosed I got back to work within a week. I think this was a surprise to my employers as they possibly expected a extended break.

At first I was limited in what I was allowed to do, e.g I wasn't allowed in the workshop.

After a few months, the ban had been lifted as there was no drama or anything different to be honest. I test at my desk and jab before meals and there is no problem with it.

If you are going for an interview I think the key area is demonstrating that there is no disadvantage between you and someone else. So what you have t1, but it is stable controlled and wont affect your performance at work. Thats what they would be looking for.

Now not allowing time for jabs/ checks and what not is completely wrong and borderline if not full blown illegal.

Why do you/ whats starts your deterioration cycle?

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @cheesecakejake

Your employers have to make reasonable adjustments because you have Type 1. That includes facilitating blood tests and letting you keep hypo treatments near (although they may stipulate that you can't have liquids). I've worked in a call centre and I was allowed to keep my meter and glucose tablets on my desk. I was also given an extra 'time allowance' for blood tests (we all had charts of how much time we were 'not available').

I suggest next time you start a job you make sure your manager understands Type 1. Easier said than done, I know, but I found being brief and specific helped eg "I need to test my blood sugar every X minutes" I also stressed that allowing me to look after my diabetes would be a win-win as I'd be more productive.

Have you spoken to the Disability Advisor at your local Job Centre. Sometimes they can be a bit variable in their response, but they may have suggestions for you.

If you're living at home, it's unlikely you'd get any extra money. You could ask about help with attending interviews though and see what they say at the Job Centre.

I'm moving this to the Employment section for you. Have a read around the threads here :)

Edited to add - as for looking for jobs, are there any training courses abailable that you could do? Any work experience (check with the Job Centre first)?
Exactly, the reasonable adjustments are non negotiable, and testing bg is perfectly reasonable.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for the hypo treatments have you spoken to a local food bank? They might be able to help. It might also be possible if you speak to your diabetic nurse to get something from your clinic. Failing that I'd be temped to buy a coffee from McDonalds and then fill my pockets with those little sachets of sugar (very cheeky but if it's that or hospitalisation/death I know which path I'd take)

Your employer broke the law when they didn't let you test or treat hypos at your desk. Other posters have already covered this but I'd just like to say that I think they are a disgrace (the employer not the posters!).

As for shift patterns and working in a call centre, I actually did work in a call centre for a year after university as well all holding a second job working as an event steward. You don't necessarily need to exercise and should just increase your basal until it covers your requirements but of course regular exercise does make things easier and I got my exercise by cycling to work. Another thing that makes shift work easier is using a split dose of Levemir instead of something like Lantus because this way you can have one basal dose for when you're on shift and one when you're off and the changes happen quickly

If you get a job and are struggling to adjust your basal/bolus routine then you really need to get some help with it as soon as possible. This would ideally be through a diabetic nurse but of course this forum is here to give you tips too.

I really hope you manage to turn things around!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yoy can gert hypostop on prescription which will be free due to free scrips or i use baking dextrose which is £1 for about 150ml you only need about a teaspoon a hypo so lasts for ages.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Glucogel is all you need to treat a hypo and is available on prescription. You can also ask a diabetic specialist nurse or dietition at the diabetic clinic and they will have some to give to you. Failing that and due to your budgeting buy a 1kg bag of sugar (approx £1)and and eat 3-5 tea spoons to cure a hypo. Regards the job, they cant stop you treating a hypo or testing as that is dangerous and discrimination. I do not understand your need/desire to exercise whilst working (it is not needed for good control, in work and sounds like you get exercise walking for public transport) it sounds more like you need to speak to the diabetic nurse about getting better control and having less peaks and troffs with high and lows.
When I was your age (10 years ago) I have had shift job with lifting/shifting things, driving a truck in a factory, jobs where I run around on feet all day and all are manageable as a t1. Don't let diabeties block you doing anything or anyjob (expect the armed forces) Good luck with the job search but my mainly advice would be get the control together first, which makes you less of a "risk" to an employer or less chance of sick days just days for scheduled medical time off.
Stay positive

Sent from my E5823 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Glucogel is all you need to treat a hypo and is available on prescription. You can also ask a diabetic specialist nurse or dietition at the diabetic clinic and they will have some to give to you. Failing that and due to your budgeting buy a 1kg bag of sugar (approx £1)and and eat 3-5 tea spoons to cure a hypo.

As @Engineer88 has said you do not need to go to these extremes buy a tube of liquid glucose which is found in the baking dept of all supermarkets it's does exactly the same job as hypo stop/glucogel with the exception it costs a fraction of the price and also saves the bankrupt NHS a bit more money.

gem09

Glucogel hypostop is available on prescription so that might help from that point of view, or else your dsn could supply you with some dextrose tablets as an outpatient?

Employers are legally obliged to make reasonable adjustments.

In terms of crazy highs and lows,have you done a carb counting course? Do you adjust basal to reflect days when you'll be sitting all day or days when you've to walk a fair bit? do you adjust bolus in the same way eg take a little less bolus with lunch knowing you've a big walk ahead?

Job centre/benefits, sorry I'm no help, don't know anything about it.

Good luck!

phila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat chocolate, bread & cakes
I would give the same advise to anyone in your circumstances, T1 or otherwise. While you have no financial obligations go to college and train in an area that suits you as you will be working for at least 45 years. Stay away from debt and educate. You will reap the rewards later.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As @Engineer88 has said you do not need to go to these extremes buy a tube of liquid glucose which is found in the baking dept of all supermarkets it's does exactly the same job as hypo stop/glucogel with the exception it costs a fraction of the price and also saves the bankrupt NHS a bit more money.
Its a **** in the ocean compared to a pump, other long term control medicines or prevention so the NHS can easilly afford glucogel. Personally I dont get it on prescription (lucazade or gluco juice are my weapons of choice) but the OP had mentioned cash flow issues. What the NHS cannot afford is poor control or admissions they will pay for ways to prevent this.

@carbsrock Maybe you can save money for the NHS like me by using the same needle 5 or more times or finger pricker once a month. Thats just personal choice but dont be an NHS hero, no one will thank you for it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Its a **** in the ocean compared to a pump, other long term control medicines or prevention so the NHS can easilly afford glucogel. Personally I dont get it on prescription (lucazade or gluco juice are my weapons of choice) but the OP had mentioned cash flow issues. What the NHS cannot afford is poor control or admissions they will pay for ways to prevent this.

@carbsrock Maybe you can save money for the NHS like me by using the same needle 5 or more times or finger pricker once a month. Thats just personal choice but dont be an NHS hero, no one will thank you for it.

I suggest to look at the price that is charged for hypostop then reconsider your comments.
Finger poke lasts at least 6 months needles yep I used to change my disposable syringe one a week before the disposables were invented 5 steel needles had to last about a year.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I suggest to look at the price that is charged for hypostop then reconsider your comments.
Finger poke lasts at least 6 months needles yep I used to change my disposable syringe one a week before the disposables were invented 5 steel needles had to last about a year.
Awesome! I still stick to my point £10 a time of 3 is smaller fry compared to trip in ambulance, a&e and Glucose sailine mix plus staffing etc. Perhaps recommend the NHS shop at the local supermarket for more competitive glucose gel pricing which could be the reason the whole institution is in trouble, that and the top skimming the cream off and other waste in the NHS.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we get back on topic - helping the OP.

There have been some sensible,suggestions above and I hope the OP returns and tells us more.