Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@melliemars

This is the time in our lives where we need to tell others to butt out - in the nicest possible way - so that we can look after ourselves. That includes control-freak reception staff at the doctor's surgery, rude and dictatorial nurses, the vegan "friend" who tells you that their diet will "cure" your diabetes and, in your case, the rabid people in a Facebook group who turn on you rather than give you the support you need, etc., etc.

Keep experimenting with different foods, widen your diet, have the odd treat. Monitor frequently. Read anything and everything you can, including the most excellent advice people post here. You're doing fine!

Big hugs xxx

Reactions: 4 people

goose64

If you miss pizza the caulk base ones are surprisingly nice, and it includes a workout too (getting the water out of the caulk)

Reactions: 4 people

goose64

Sorry cauli, I 'm one of the higher carb posters, try to aim for around 100 a day but that includes precooked carbs which don't affect me at all. LCHF just sent my cholesterol stratospheric so you will need to adapt to what suits you

Reactions: 2 people

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Btw....
Just as a footnote to the above. You so right, Bananas are a little carb heavy, but don't panic too much. I always have (even before I was labelled) had banana before doing any good physical exercise. I am more carb conscious now, but I still have my 'nana' pre exercise.... It gives me the fuel I feel I need.
Try to get some good exercise too ... It all helped me drop the pounds quickly!

Again the best of luck. If a knackered cynical ****** like me can do it - anyone can.

Thank you so much for the replies, Heretic! Funnily enough, I actually eventually bit the bullet (hope it doesn't raise my bs ;p) and started testing and I actually enjoy it now!! It was a relief. After starting off on a 10.4 reading 5 weeks ago on my A1c, I'm steadily in the 6s sometimes hitting 5s (FBG was 5.8 today). Lost over 2 stones and still working hard. I ******** my foot so I cannot work out but doing sitting down exercises best I can.

Still on 4x500mg Metformin :( But it's early days. I hope to be off them and fit and healthy within 2 years (I have a lot of weight to lose so need that time).Might test a cheeky banana at some point.

I still freak out and am obsessed with getting diabetic retinopathy, though. I have double vision in one eye and worrying myself to death waiting for the referral but it's just something I'm going to have to sit with I guess.

Thank you again for the ace reply!

Reactions: 5 people

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I see you have described your meals which is good. But remember it's the drinks with the sugar that are horrible. Check the carbs on the bottles. A half can of coke can make you go way high.
I am a control freak so I prick my fingers multiple times a day to check.
Agree on how much carb you can eat a day and religiously stick to it. Here's a carb website you may want to use.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

It helps as you can key in random food and they will tell you how much carb there is.

I'm female, 37 yo, I take in 150g of carb a day. I'm type 1 and I inject insulin to match it. Everyone is different. You'll need to learn how much carb you need by experiment. See weight gain or loss to moderate the carb you eat. When you are comfortable, stick to it.

My dietitian suggests 150 g as minimum because I do a lot of brain activities and the carbs helps me. When I don't eat the carbs i can't focus.

Others swear by no carbs diet. It is up to you to decide. Listen to your body intently is my philosophy.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I see you have described your meals which is good. But remember it's the drinks with the sugar that are horrible. Check the carbs on the bottles. A half can of coke can make you go way high.
I am a control freak so I prick my fingers multiple times a day to check.
Agree on how much carb you can eat a day and religiously stick to it. Here's a carb website you may want to use.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

It helps as you can key in random food and they will tell you how much carb there is.

I'm female, 37 yo, I take in 150g of carb a day. I'm type 1 and I inject insulin to match it. Everyone is different. You'll need to learn how much carb you need by experiment. See weight gain or loss to moderate the carb you eat. When you are comfortable, stick to it.

My dietitian suggests 150 g as minimum because I do a lot of brain activities and the carbs helps me. When I don't eat the carbs i can't focus.

Others swear by no carbs diet. It is up to you to decide. Listen to your body intently is my philosophy.
That's good advice about drinks. That's where testing with a glucometer is helpful. Better to stick to plain water.

However, you don't need to eat carbs to have enough glucose for brain function. That's a myth. Your liver will produce enough glucose from fat and protein to keep you going. After all, even if you eat no carbs, I bet you will still need to inject insulin to keep your blood glucose from going high. One of the things insulin does is signal your liver to stop producing so much glucose.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI @melliemars
It sounds like you are doing really well. My HbA1c at diagnosis was 95 so similar to yours but it took me a lot longer to get any control so well done. For me a meter was my best tool as it showed what I could eat and what was better avoided. We are all different so I can manage some foods others can't, so do try your banana. For me it was diet, weight loss and exercise that helped.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
looking at the fb comments they are destructive and unhelpfull. good for you for offing them.A cheat day now and then doesn't hurt as long as it is a cheat day and doesn't become a norm .But remember it is a trade off.I cycle around 10 miles to cover my sins for others it may be a no carb trade off.Evey one is different but glad you got ri of the bullying and can now make the chioce yourself without being chastised

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still freak out and am obsessed with getting diabetic retinopathy, though. I have double vision in one eye and worrying myself to death waiting for the referral but it's just something I'm going to have to sit with I guess.

Hi @melliemars - do you know that having blurry vision can be caused by your blood sugars dropping dramatically? It's because high BG causes the lenses in your eyes to swell and when your BG drops the lenses change shape and cause your vision to go off for a bit. (I never had this as I have had both lenses replaced due to cataracts but a mate of mine who has just started on the same journey as you is going through it too - as have many others on this site).

Anyway, your referral will tell you one way or the other but try not to worry too much.

Congratulations and well done on the weight loss and the reductions in BG - way to go, girl!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Hi Melanie

That group is something you should leave as it sounds like it is little more than people bullying others. As for the diabetes well the good news is that with some effort you can control it to the point that you can have a treat and still be healthy so long as you keep an eye on things through monitoring

infinitemantra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi Melanie
sorry to hear about your bad treatment on the other forum. Funny how people who have presumably gone through very similar feelings as you and I could be so lacking in compassion.
coming off citalopram is not easy especially if you have been on it for a while, put that with a new diabetes diagnosis and you have a lot to deal with.
sounds like you are doing lots of the right things.

sainsburys have just started selling 100% chocolate no sugar at all and not many carbs i think 8g per 100.
if you add stevia to sweeten or add pistachio nuts it tastes pretty good too

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like that horrid group has the "all or nothing" mentality, doom and gloom. This is exactly the mentality to destroy anyone. Good for you for seeing that and getting away from it. When I was first diagnosed (T1) in March, I felt overwhelmed and anxious too. My mind went to what I couldn't have rather than what I could and that was discouraging and scary.

I have changed my diet by eating lower carb meals and yet still enjoy foods that I like in moderation. For example, I like yogurt and used to buy the low fat fruit flavored yogurt. FYI - be careful, many low fat foods are loaded with sugar. Now I buy the plain yogurt which has much less sugar and add a few berries. I like rice, so have switched to whole grain brown rice and rather than eat 1 cup at a serving, I eat 2/3 cup and replace the 1/3 with more vegetables. I eat chocolate, just the dark chocolate in moderation. The good news is that after time your body adjusts and prefers to eat lower carb plus the weight reduces naturally as a benefit of a healthy diet and as a bonus you have more energy.

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
the like buttons have disappeared otherwise i would be marking like like like to all your supportive comments for Melanie. This group has been so helpful just on this one thread, so much detail about how to make this thing work. It has helped me a lot too

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
@melliemars I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2006 (I was 34). 10 years later I am a confirmed Type 1. I went from being not very sensitive to Insulin to my pancreas giving up the ghost. This currently means I have 3 shots of fast acting Humalog (1 with each meal) and 1 shot of 24 hour Lantus everyday.

To start with I was like you, not knowing what I should eat and getting all concerned with "if I eat this I'm going to die" or something.

I've come to realise over the years that if you monitor well, and adjust your meds to the meal you're having, to keep your blood sugar under control, then you're going to be ok.

That FB page sounds like a bunch of crazy people. I might go there and wind them up :D

I eat pretty healthily but every Friday is Dominos Pizza night. And probably a pudding too. This simply means that I have to take a larger dose of Humalog. I also bake a lot, and NEVER use fake sugar (eeeww).

All this said, I tend to have my BS in the single figures (UK readings. American have triple figures), but if you go into double figures it's not the end of the world.

That comment in the FB screenshot you sent where someone drank coke and sprinkled sugar on their cereal (that's not the best course of action to be fair)? And they said their BS went up to 200mg/dl (which is around 10mmoL/l in the UK)? Big deal. That's nothing. That can be resolved with a quick adjustment shot if insulin.
The coke drinking sugar eater ought to change their habits, but if you get a spike it's nothing to worry about.

Some people might frown on my comments (like the folk on that FB page), but jeez!! They need to lighten up. With proper monitoring, and a bit of sensibleness, you can live a happy, tasty life.

p.s. I'm proud of you for your weight loss. I am trying to lose a couple of stone too. I do Yoga, Weights, Insanity, P90X etc. But it's slow going. (perhaps I should monitor myself better ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heretic1

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good advice about drinks. That's where testing with a glucometer is helpful. Better to stick to plain water.

However, you don't need to eat carbs to have enough glucose for brain function. That's a myth. Your liver will produce enough glucose from fat and protein to keep you going. After all, even if you eat no carbs, I bet you will still need to inject insulin to keep your blood glucose from going high. One of the things insulin does is signal your liver to stop producing so much glucose.

I think everybody is different enough that some people do need carbs to be able to focus properly, whereas others don't. (I now that I can be a wreck if I don't have enough carbs, especially on active days.) To illustrate the point, some people have lived for decades on a strict vegan diet while others get horribly ill from it and get better when eating meat and animal products like eggs and dairy. Carbs are no different. Some people do very poorly on LCHF even when they do everything right, while others thrive on it. Please don't invalidate someone's personal experience even if science has debunked some myths. I think as diabetics we all know that the disease and our bodies don't always do what science says they should.

I do think everyone should give everything a try to see how it works out for them. I've certainly found a lot of surprises in what my body does when I change medication and diet around a little here and there.

Thanks again, everyone. I've lost another stone in a week as I haven't been eating much, scared to eat anything other than chicken, tuna and salad. I have a meter but I don't want to test. It feels too overwhelming. I just want to lose the weight and it'll all go away.

I had half a banana and some cream and berries yesterday so that was good, faced my fears. I know we shouldn't eat bananas but they're good for potassium and I feel like I'll be doing myself damage if I don't have half of one, will that be ok?

Hi Melanie! First off I want to say welcome to the site, and good riddance of that awful group. Second, I am a little worried about your perspective on food and eating. Please don't starve yourself. Please eat a varied diet. Not eating because you're scared of losing control is the first sign of an eating disorder, and those are no joke. You could be doing more damage to your body by losing weight too fast and not getting all the nutrients you need, than if you were to have some wider varieties of food in your daily intake and slowly drop the pounds and get good glucose control.

I understand you're scared. I understand there's a lot of bogus info on the internet that can be maddening. I have a panic disorder myself so I know more or less what's happening in your head, but I also want you to know that the only way to get past this is by facing the things that invoke your anxiety.

Bananas can be added to your diet depending on how your body responds. You will need to test 1.5-2 hours after eating one to see what happens, and then decide whether or not it's something you can have. This is the only way to decide which foods you can and can't eat, as many of us respond differently to the same things. The greener the banana, the better most people can tolerate them though. If you want to have some ripe banana, it's probably best to only eat 1/3 or half of one and save the rest for later.

One thing I noticed from personal experience is that you can influence your glucose levels by eating a combo of things. For example, I can eat a cheeseburger (no condiments) without any issues, but only if I have a nice big salad with little or no dressing and no croutons first, wait 15 minutes, then eat the burger. Not only do I stay full for a very long time, the fiber from the salad helps level out the carbs in the burger so that the absorption is spread out over a longer period of time. Fat also has this effect, as does a lot of protein. My dinner meals usually consist of even amount of meat, potatoes and greens, for example: a whole chicken breast, 150 grams of potatoes (boiled/mashed/baked) and 200 grams of vegetables. No sauces, usually only a bit of mayo. Despite having a lot of carbs in the meal, the protein and veggies outweigh the carbs by a lot, so the carbs don't spike me 9 out of 10 times.

As for consistent glucose levels, well... diabetes does whatever it wants sometimes. There will be days that you're doing everything right, but you still get whack results. This is normal and you should do your best not to let it upset you. Doing your best is really all you can do, realistically speaking. Those random fluctuations will not end up killing us if you are managing your diabetes well 99% of the time.

Again, the only way to figure out how this works out for you is by trying it out. There's no one size that fits them all, and sometimes our bodies have very specific needs and responses. Experimentation is not only part of diabetes, it's vital to get a good understanding of what's going on. I think the most important part of diabetes is being knowledgeable on your condition and your body. Only then can you make informed decisions on diet and treatment. Over the next year, you should realistically be the one to tell your doctor where you want your treatment to go and what you can and can't change in your diet. Most of us end up knowing more about the medication and diabetes as a whole than our doctors do, and that's a good thing!

I've found immense help on here that's guided me to make decisions on my own treatment. I found out that LCHF is not an option for me at this time, but I do want to try it when I can do it safely. In the meantime I do what works for my body.

I hope the comments on your topic have been helpful and that you'll be able to work with your anxiety and deal with this. Diabetes is overwhelming at first, but you'll soon come to realize that it isn't defining of who we are, and we can live a good life with it. Before you know it you can make good guesses as to how much to eat of something without having to check your glucose because you know exactly how your body reacts. :)

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
DaftThoughts is right - I managed to eat steak with a small portion of chips the other week with only a moderate rise in BS. The oil in the chips helped slow the release of glucose. And a handful of fresh cherries with a small bowl of full-fat yogurt did not provoke a spike. Chips are going to be an occasional treat from now on, as are cherries and yogurt. Experimenting is fun and even very enjoyable. Don't be frightened of food.

Reactions: Freema

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't even begin to tell you all how much your posts have helped me. I mean that, sincerely. The support and fantastic information has been a godsend. Genuinely, thank you everyone.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well, all good advice and you may change your avatar soon from expert worrier to stay calm don't worry.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Well what a bunch of bellends they are, you are in the right place now. I am on 2000 of metformin and less than a year in my HBA1c is at 36 ( I was over 96) from being fixated with being perfect, today I am looking to be good. A "cheat meal" or a few glasses of wine is simply awesome as long as it is a treat and not a default choice.

Set a target for yourself, take small steps, each one will take you towards your target. Great advice for me was, herbs and spices are fantastic, add lots and make your food interesting. It does seriously help.

Stay strong, this illness is but a blip on the road of life. It will not stop you doing anything you want to.

Let us know how you get on and the people om this site are superb, ask away and you will get a world of views and advice

Is it just me or does anyone else want to join that group to see how they behave?

Ross

Reactions: Lord Midas