Antihistamines

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there does any one know if antihistamines or other treatments for hay fever such as Beconase (steroid) can affect levels?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that is interesting as 30 mins before testing I needed to take ventolin and Beconase - both listed here. That might explain the higher than usual reading. Trouble is I need them occasionally and this time of year is when I do. It's pollen and August early Sept is my worst time. Took antihistamine but found it ineffective so changed to Beconase. This deals with the sneezing but as its topical doesn't help the asthma so I need my ventolin. I'm usually fine in the day but evenings are worse.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't know if antihistamines raise bg levels, I do think the hayfever would raise bg anyway. I get hayfever from grass pollen from June to August and take loratadine, and use Nasobec nasal spray when grasspollen levels are very high.
I am trying to push back my 12 month HbA1c test so that it doesn't cover the hayfever season. I was diagnosed as T2 after test at end of August last year, at 49. I suspect my reading might have been higher because it covered the hayfever season. When I had my 3 month retest in November it had come down to 44. That might have been due to low carbing and exercise, but it might also have been lower because it covered 12 weeks after the grasspollen season.
I have delayed my 12 month retest for 4 weeks until 1 September this year, and will do that for the next couple of years so that eventually my !2 monthly HbA1c is in December, and unaffected by any possible effect of hayfever (and antihistamines).

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that steroid drugs quite commonly raise BG levels. Taking long courses of steroids have been known to cause Type 2.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP prescribed an antihistamine that isn't an off the shelf variety when I had a nasty bite that wouldn't heal and said I should not buy a run of the mill off the shelf one as I am diabetic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there does any one know if antihistamines or other treatments for hay fever such as Beconase (steroid) can affect levels?

I use Beconase and haven't found any effect on my levels at all. I use it as needed - that is, when I have bad symptoms not just 'normal' hay fever.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My doctor took me off my steroid inhaler as he said I had to much steroid medication.

I don't take antihistamine as it is contra indicated for me any way so can't say if it affects levels or not.

My daughter is actually allergic to antihistamine.