I Ate An Entire Pizza And Nothing Happened?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. Since I discovered I'm diabetic I started eating very controlled avoiding carbs, and my BS has improved very much. I actually don't use any insulin. Sometimes I eat carbs but I noticed that my values don't go too high. Yesterday I ate an entire Pizza and my freestyle libre stayed on 80 mg/dl. Nothing happened. I thought my BS would go up in the sky. Even today I ate meat with potatoes and nothing happened, stable on 80 mg/dl. Remission maybe? Is that possible?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone. Since I discovered I'm diabetic I started eating very controlled avoiding carbs, and my BS has improved very much. I actually don't use any insulin. Sometimes I eat carbs but I noticed that my values don't go too high. Yesterday I ate an entire Pizza and my freestyle libre stayed on 80 mg/dl. Nothing happened. I thought my BS would go up in the sky. Even today I ate meat with potatoes and nothing happened, stable on 80 mg/dl. Remission maybe? Is that possible?

Did you do a finger prick test to confirm the Libre reading?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Good :) Did you get no rise at all?

It's possible that your reduced carb diet is giving your remaining islets a rest and that they can make enough insulin to cover your carbs in that meal. Do keep testing, especially to see if you spike.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
No rise at all, a flat line. I will continue testing. Is it possible to recover? Are there any cases?

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No rise at all, a flat line. I will continue testing. Is it possible to recover? Are there any cases?

Type 1 doesn't go away, no. Some people are misdiagnosed, of course. I also read that in some people with LADA, they have a series of smaller immune attacks which allow a partial recovery of islet function in between times. So the decline of function in someone with LADA can be more of a gradual slope over a longer length of time.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully a long time. I was positive to the GAD test. Do beta cells regenerate if the immune attacks become smaller?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I continued with my tests. I am not healed for sure, my values go sometimes higher than 160 mg/dl, but my condition certainly got better from the beginning. I ate some carbs in the last days, for example a piece of cake, or some bread, and I compensated with some fast insulin. Always 2 to 4 units, nothing more, and 2 times I had Hypo. As of now I maybe do my best if I avoid insulin at all.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys, I don´t know what to think anymore. Today I had hypo, twice. Only problem is: I didn´t inject any kind of insulin.
I ate a Croissant filled with Chocolate for breakfast at 8. o´clock and at 10.30 I was sitting in my office talking to the phone and I started trembling. I felt like losing consciousness and my freestyle libre showed 47 mg/dl, but I couldn´t use a BG tester this time. I quickly ate sugary candies and went to 220mg/dl, but after 1,5 hours it happened again and I drank Coke. My Medician prescribed me Chocolate!?!?!? I ate french fries with ketchup, and 100g milk chocolate, and now after 1 hour I´m just 109 mg/dl (tested this time).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are GAD positive and you are getting high blood sugars you are definitely 100% for certain type 1 diabetic.

Type 1 diabetes is an incurable autoimmune disease.

The erratic readings you are getting is probably a result of the honeymoon period. Very often when someone, particularly an adult, is first diagnosed with type 1 and given insulin this treatment gives a bit of breathing space to the beta cell death and there can be erratic bursts of insulin production from your remaining beta cells.

Those with a long honeymoon period can be called Type 1.5 or LADA.

Unfortunately, the GAD antibodies that you have tested positive for will go on to kill off all of your beta cells. No one knows how quickly this will happen. It varies from person to person. While you have some residual beta cell function you may be able to reduce you exogenous insulin intake, in discussion with your doctor, and you will have to keep a close eye on sugars as when/if your remaining beta cells decide to produce insulin is a bit unpredictable.

Hope you are feeling better after your hypo.

Reactions: Jo Bodensee

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds pretty bad actually... Hope my pancreas doesn't decide to throw off some insuline while I am sleeping or driving...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds pretty bad actually... Hope my pancreas doesn't decide to throw off some insuline while I am sleeping or driving...

Sorry, erratic in response to food - your pancreases isn't going to suddenly throw out insulin when a functioning pancreas wouldn't usually. It's just whether or not it does it when you want it to (I.e. In response to food) will be hit and miss. It's not going to decide to just throw out insulin for fun.

But you should anyway always test before going to bed and before driving.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I went (well still going) through a similar thing myself, I get low BG without any bolus, I sometimes creep up when there has been no food consumed.

Biggest thing is to check basal. If your pancreas is throwing out a good amount the basal is adding to it and contributing to a low BG. I take it you are also eating snacks throughout the day to keep your bg level up.

I had a few weeks on insulin then suddenly low all the time,I even had a whole burger and fries with a friend on no bolus (at the time I was going to bolus when my levels were above 5- it never did). I went from 12 units (which was still too little, to 5 units) now I am coasting on 3 which, depending on my activity, can be too much!

When my basal became stable I found I had a proper carb ratio and less guesswork.

Sorry for the long post, its just I went through the same confusion and my cure was getting that basal right as it will chew through carbs relentlessly if too high. Hope this helps :)

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1

That is just too amazing for me to handles

Bluesus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Guys, I don´t know what to think anymore. Today I had hypo, twice. Only problem is: I didn´t inject any kind of insulin.
I ate a Croissant filled with Chocolate for breakfast at 8. o´clock and at 10.30 I was sitting in my office talking to the phone and I started trembling. I felt like losing consciousness and my freestyle libre showed 47 mg/dl, but I couldn´t use a BG tester this time. I quickly ate sugary candies and went to 220mg/dl, but after 1,5 hours it happened again and I drank Coke. My Medician prescribed me Chocolate!?!?!? I ate french fries with ketchup, and 100g milk chocolate, and now after 1 hour I´m just 109 mg/dl (tested this time).
HI, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 in Feb with a BGL of 41.4mmol after having scarlet fever. We've since managed to get him off insulin. Number counting became an obsession and he cant tolerate a pizza without 0.5 units of insulin. What I wanted to tell you is that after months of fretting about his hypo's I was told that for normal people a hypo to 2.5 (45mg) is normal for anyone NOT TAKING insulin. Anything under 2.5 needs to be addressed. But for people without diabetes when we need to eat our levels can go down to 2.5.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the hospital yesterday and slept there, because I felt strange and forceless. I don't know if that had to do with diabetes, my BS was ok. Maybe I just need to rest. Anyway they made many tests on me, and it turns out that only by dieting and using almost no insulin i brought my hba1c to 5.6% (it was 8.8). My c-peptide is still 1.0, remained stable in the last months. I am just very tired and weak, but maybe I just need to rest.

SamCNatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I ate two slices of pizza and went to 17. Mmol
Before diagnosis I was happily eating half to a whole pizza.
I'm so over this and it's only been 7 weeks for me.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I continue to have reactive Hypos. This happens when I eat floury things. My BS gets a bit higher, and then boom, it falls all the way down to low values. As I said, no insulin used.
62327de04d6c8be620f03a39a482662b.jpg