Carb Confused

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are there any bright folk out there can explain why the differences in carb content with cooking

2016-08-29_11-23-10.png

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a guess, but I think it's to do with the amount of water lost maybe?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are they, and do you have to do anything to them prior to Oven baking or Grilling ?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are they, and do you have to do anything to them prior to Oven baking or Grilling ?
oven chips but I've noticed the same thing with lots of other foods, heres example from Carb Counter uk

2016-08-29_12-35-50.png

2016-08-29_12-40-09.png

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AFAIK Carbohydrates are basically a load of sugar molecules arranged in various patterns.

Freezing will alter the make up and pattern of the molecules, as will heating or cooking.

I'm not sure why Baking would alter the make-up so differently to Grilling them, other than possibly the heat they are exposed to being higher.

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
according to the Carb Counter we can boil carbs out of onions and fry carbs in, seems unlikely

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I agree with @azure , the dry heat of baking means that more water is lost, hence, in 100g total weight you'll have more carbs in comparison to grilled potato where more moisture remains.

It's effectively the weight after cooking not before.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
according to the Carb Counter we can boil carbs out of onions and fry carbs in, seems unlikely

@numan43 Its to do with the weight/water.

If you were to take that raw onion in your example above, and cook it in 3 different ways and then eat it (the whole onion) you'd still have the same amount of carbs no matter what way you cooked it (because you'd be eating the whole onion each time)

But, if you eat 100g of the onion in each 3 ways of cooking, you'd get varying amounts of carbs due to the differing water content. Carbs don't get added or disappear.

Reactions: 2 people

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@numan43 Its to do with the weight/water.

If you were to take that raw onion in your example above, and cook it in 3 different ways and then eat it (the whole onion) you'd still have the same amount of carbs no matter what way you cooked it (because you'd be eating the whole onion each time)

But, if you eat 100g of the onion in each 3 ways of cooking, you'd get varying amounts of carbs due to the differing water content. Carbs don't get added or disappear.
thanks azure
I get it now, took while but your excellent explanation finally made the penny drop. Its 100g of fried onions and not 100g of onion fried right?. thanks for you patience.

Reactions: 4 people