Insulin Pumps

SimonE

Does being strapped to a pump 24hrs a day make anyone feel more diabetic? I have had T1 for 30 years and have been very healthy for most of the time. I am being pressured by my Doctor to go onto the pump. I'm have no strong feelings on the matter, as treatment always goes through these trends, (I can remember 6 in the last 30 years). My only worry is the psychological damage that may build up because I'm strapped to something that will be a constant reminder of my condition. Any thoughts!?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I've had a pump for 5 years and can't remember what life was like without it. The advantages to being on a pump are so many and varied, they totally outweigh any possible downside (for me anyway). I certainly don't feel "more diabetic", in fact I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean...? I also think pump therapy is more than just a passing trend.

SimonE

Kegstore,

I guess what I mean by 'more diabetic' is that if you do an injection in the morning, go about your daily business, work hard, play hard, come home, another injection and a blood test, there is a minimum intrusion of the illness into your daily life. Anymore than that and I worried it may feel like the illness is always there?

Also pumps came about in the early 80s, they were called insulin guns in those days, and they disappeared fairly quickly.

jopar

The insulin pumps now are a lot better than those from the 80's...

I feel less of a diabetic with my pump, it has given me soooo much freedom it's unbelievable indeed.. I don't know that I wearing it, and I can change my plans at a drop of a hat, no more having to return home, as you need your insulin didn't take it with you as you thought you wouldn't need it etc...

Why don't you try it, give it a bash see what you think of it... If you don't like it and it's not for you the you can always hand to back..

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I suppose I don't have any kind of attitude towards being diabetic, I just am so I get on with what I do, end of story. I know I have to do things differently from other people, if I didn't I would feel very ill very quickly, maybe that's my motivation, but I honestly don't think about it I just do it! Having said that, if something comes along that can so radically make such a difference (i.e. pump) then I won't ignore it either. I'll integrate it into my life as much as possible, and that works for me.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
as a newbie pumper, my instant reaction to the question 'do you feel more diabetic?' is a resounding no!! as Keg said, no more worrying about injections and forgetting insulin and all that jazz. On the other hand, I am testing much, much more and can't see that changing any time soon but then it's keeping me in good health? so no problem for me :D I think it's like anything new, takes a bit of getting used to (I still forget I'm attached when I get up in the night to go to the loo!) but if that is my biggest problem then I can handle it :D

stoobdogg

im 25 and really rubbish with my insulin can u request this pump? how does it work? does it ave a constant line if so is the needle still just 8mm?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
stoobdogg said:
im 25 and really rubbish with my insulin can u request this pump? how does it work? does it ave a constant line if so is the needle still just 8mm?

Hi ya, define really rubbish? do you mean you struggle with dosage? do you carb count? you have to carb count to use the pump effectively, I know some PCT's don't insist you take a carb counting course but mine did and I am glad as I would be lost without it! I use 8mm needles with the pump infusion set which was a step up (or down!) for me as I was used to 5mm with my pen..

stoobdogg

i know nothing of carb counting and most my injections are a guess. so u still tell th pump how many units to inject what is the point in it then? thanks for ur quick reply

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
well personally (and others may not agree!) I like the exact measures it gives me, if something contains 7g of carbs I can bolus exactly that, not round up to 10 (for example). The constant basal rate seems to be keeping my BG numbers at an acceptable level (I am new to the pump though so still learning!) and I like the control I have when it comes to exercise as I can lower/raise the basal rate as and when I choose. Lots of number crunching involved but then I carb counted before getting the pump and frankly, I'm not sure how I managed my diabetes before I started doing so! 8)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello again Stuart, :)

These are the guys to talk to about your probs you mention in your other post as they have been through lots too. It sounds like you have never had much advice of any description. :shock:

Ask whatever you need to ask - it could turn everything around for you. :D 8) :D