Gardening Thread, Part 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My hubby would like to know what kind of critters are in your pic. They are very cute. We are not from the UK.

Morning, they are Dormice and I named them Dizzy and Dory, they have been part of the forum for a while now.
http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/dormouse.htm

What part of the world do you live in, could you post some pics of your area and your own garden, if you have one ?:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
and our American Robins look different

CREATURE COMPARISONS
The American robin (Turdus migratorius), a species of thrush, was so named because its reddish belly plumage reminded the first Eurasian
European settlers in North America of the more familiar “redbreast” back home. At 10″ long, it is by far the larger of the two species, with a proportionately stouter bill and longer, stronger legs.The American robin is found in a wide range of lightly wooded habitats, including large parks and gardens, even in cities. It migrates south for the winter, reaching as far as Central America and the Caribbean islands. American robins are occasionally spotted in Britain and western Europe; these are migrants blown off-course across the Atlantic Ocean by storms.
American robin

The Robin is my favourite garden bird, I also love the Blue tit and the dear little sparrows.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
and our American Robins look different

Your bats are more aggressive too!

batman-slaps-robin.jpeg

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Morning, they are Dormice and I named them Dizzy and Dory, they have been part of the forum for a while now.
http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/dormouse.htm

What part of the world do you live in, could you post some pics of your area and your own garden, if you have one ?:)
I am in western canada right on the coast. My garden is pretty much toast as we have had wind and rain or blistering hot this year with no in between. I can't really look after it anymore but the bones are still there. Roses and rhododendrons, lilacs, lots of daylillies (tough sucker they are) holly, apple trees, siberian iris in purple, hostas, crocosmia, mock orange, honeysuckle, wisteria, peonies, moss roses, wild daisies, wild columbine, native ferns, and a few other odds and ends. These are the plants that have survived very minimal maintenance. Just mowing and trimming and a bit of pruning. All the blossoms have been beaten off from the rain. It is a temperate rain forest here with much the same climate as england but very acid soil. We don't have dormice but we do have Galjas robins. Tons of wildlife big and small. I live 30K outside a fairly small town and bush is all around. I will try to get some pics of my garden tomorrow. I tried to post a pic my son took but I don't know if I did it right.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OK I don't see my pic. How do I do this? Anybody techie?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello chalup, in the repy box hit the + and use camera icon to take pics or the mountain sun icon to use pics in your library just follow the instuctions from there,clive

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am right at sea level. We had only one snowfall last year and it was gone in hours. Other years we get a bit more. You don't have to go very far inland to encounter serious snow though. The terrain and coast here is almost exactly like Norway.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We also get the blue jays and they are smart little buggers. They will come right in the house to nick the dog food. I also love the hummingbirds and usually have hanging baskets on my deck and get clouds of them. Mostly Rufous (sp?) but sometimes we get oddballs that stray too far north. They hitch rides on the migrating Canada geese. The big show here would have to be the bald eagles. When the salmon run you can see hundreds of them in the creeks eating fish, they are very big.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bats can eat their body weight in mosquitos every night. Love bats !! Ours are tiny, like the size of small mice.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@chalup What a wild and beautiful place. I have a photo of a similar view in our deciduous woods nearby. Compare and contrast as my teacher used to say!

051.jpg z April 6 2015 (7).JPG

Reactions: 3 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is very pretty deejay. I would love to see more photos of where people live. I can post more from the BC coast from time to time if people would like to see them. My son is the photographer and believe it or not those photos were taken with an I-phone. He seems to have an eye for it.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My oldest son caught this on a fly rod. It is a chinook salmon. This is the son that takes all these beautiful pictures.

040.PNG