Really Silly Question I'm Sure....

Jenie

Ok I'm sure that I do know the answer to this but if blood sugars are high before Thomas (age 9 T1) goes to bed then do we give a correction?

So if he has had a late night and his blood sugars are high then will I need to do a correction does of his correction ratio 1:4 of novorapid?

Still trying to get my head around the different doses as we have only just been given his ratios!

Thanks
Jenie x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jenie I'd be wary about correcting at nighttime. If he's really high and you need to correct, then I'd underdo the insulin slightly (that is, aim for a higher number than you would during daytime). I'd also set an alarm to,check his BS in the night.

That's what I do for myself and I'm an adult, so I'd be even more cautious with a child.

Reactions: 4 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jenie for myself and my 2yr old it would depend on what you are calling high? As I'm a lot more stable than her I would correct but with my daughter it would depend what she is and when she last ate and what she ate but I would probably check her through the night if I wasn't sure and see if she was going down which she does anyway. I have rubbed glucogel into her before. Night hypos aren't great. She is on a pump so easier to administer insulin than by injection. x