Tonight's Meal Suggestion Please, With Following Ingredients

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Afternoon folks

I'm fortunate with work to have the extra statutory day off, so I wanted to take this opportunity of cooking tea early for my son and I, instead of eating at 9pm every eve

So.....with my ingredients already insitu, normally I'd include potatoes or rice, but this has to change now, so I'd be ever so grateful for a low carb recipe from you lovely people to use with my ingredients.

So, here are my ingredients:-

4 rather nice chicken breasts
Fresh spinach
Salad ingredients, toms, etc
Courgettes by the truck load, but need to get a Spiralizer
Onions, white and red
Spices and herbs
Free double cream, feel guilty just writing it lol

That's my main ingredients

Thanks in advance peeps, hoping to start it around 16:30 hrs! Not that I'm putting any time pressure on you, haha x

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Use the spinach as a salad leaf?
If you have curry powder and mayo I would cook the chicken cut into small chunks and make a chicken coronation with a big spoonful of cream. Maybe fry some courgette chunks and add that too?
I would also have a very small portion (2oz) of boiled potato drowned in butter.

As much salad as you can manage, dressed with olive oil, (basalmic vinegar and apple cider vinegar)

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chop onions and fry until opaque in butter, slice the chicken breast into strips and pan fry in butter with onions (with garlic and chilli if it were me).. once cooked add the spinach and cream and cook down. Slice the courgettes in half scoop out the seeds add seeds to the chicken cream and spinach. Stuff the courgettes with the mix and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until courgettes cooked.

Reactions: 5 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Loving your suggestions so far. I love garlic, rarely get a cold lol.

Just afraid I'll be hungry after what with no rice or pasta etc. This is my problem, not always, but occasionally thinking I'm not having enough. I love rice and pasta and always have the wholemeal kind too. Unsure of the effects on my bg yet, as not eaten rice or pasta since testing.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could cut the courgettes in chunks and put them in the oven with garlic, black pepper, salt and lots of olive oil. You could add onions and tomatoes too.

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving your suggestions so far. I love garlic, rarely get a cold lol.

Just afraid I'll be hungry after what with no rice or pasta etc. This is my problem, not always, but occasionally thinking I'm not having enough. I love rice and pasta and always have the wholemeal kind too. Unsure of the effects on my bg yet, as not eaten rice or pasta since testing.

So how about this.. rather than dismissing our suggestions by saying you may feel hungry afterwards why not cook the meal and see?
Sorry if that seems a bit blunt but you are being defeatist without trying which as you can tell gets my goat.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never eat rice, pasta or potatoes and very little bread but I am never hungry . Once you have got used to a low card diet full of natural fats like butter and avocado you will be surprised how much you enjoy your food . Of course it takes getting used to but as they say no pain no gain !

Reactions: 4 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So how about this.. rather than dismissing our suggestions by saying you may feel hungry afterwards why not cook the meal and see?
Sorry if that seems a bit blunt but you are being defeatist without trying which as you can tell gets my goat.
I wasn't being a defeatist or dismissive about the suggestions, I'd prefer to say that I was being slightly on the negative side with my response.....
I don't know how satisfied or unsatisfied I will feel until I eat it!
I am free to say how I "may' feel about something, without being criticised for it, which to me is a negative response.
I understand your point, but hey, give me a chance I was only quoting and worrying that I may be hungry....

However, I'm going to start tea now, using a mixture of the 2 suggestions listed and am looking forward to it with glee.
Thanks for the low carbs suggestions, it's a big change for me, hence my negative 'possible hunger' approach.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Feeling hungry is known to be not always true hunger... You could have a glass of water or go and do something. Even adult colouring! Distraction is a good technique as hunger can evolve sometimes from boredom. It can also evolve after mountains carbs in a takeaway which can stir in to carb cravings... A lovely meal with ingredients like yours shouldn't involve hunger after..

However courgettes are just asgood done with a julienne slicer and friend in butter.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing I learned to recognise is the difference between not hungry and full - it's not easy and takes time but there really is a big difference.

There is a website but I can't remember the name of it - something like what's in my fridge that you can put all the ingredients you intend to cook with and it will give you some recipes - I think @noblehead may know the one I mean - or I may be totally wrong about that lol

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
WOW, I cannot believe this.....
I cooked 2 large chicken breasts in rapeseed oil (only oil I had as I've been using the fry light for few years), then cut the 3rd into strips, don't ask why haha.

I fried 2 white onions
About 5 cloves garlic (is that too much, love garlic?)
Mushrooms and 3 courgettes chopped into chunks.

Used chilli powder, mixed herbs and oregano. I just throw any of the spices in, lol.

Then I cooked half bag of spinach and mixed with a big tablespoon of virtually fat free mayo, (all I had), with 3 of the same of double thick cream, cringing all the way as I don't understand the fat thing of it yet..... added till powder and then put everything in a roasting dish, poured the sauce over, albeit it wasn't that much, popped in oven and it was fine.

Was going to boil some broccoli, but son had to meet his girlfriend, so we just had it as it was, wish I'd taken photo now.

Anyway, I'm going to upload my readings since lunch, before tea and after tea. My after tea was 6.7 and it's never been that since I've been testing, certainly not after a meal.....I'm becoming slightly convinced/persuaded by the high fat part of it, but want to research it further when my books arrive.

So, thank you to all that recommended these recipes and to bulkbiker, see I was negative about the dreading I'd be still hungry part of it, but I've tasted and tested and still feel full, so thank you

Times are on pics of readings.....

e6b428f26294bfca2bad4989348d19f5.jpg

5366e0485275a95e45d76c13182ee593.jpg

3d5785c42336fcf6229242d5168d0c95.jpg

Maybe it's a one off, soon see...x

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is not a one off, it is what happens when you stop eating starchy carbs and it will continue to get better. @bulkbiker 's recipe sounds amazing but I think I would add some parmesan cheese to the sauce. The cream is what will keep you feeling full and satisfied, the veggies are for fiber and nutrition and just taste good and add variety. A meal I like that is quick and easy is to fry up some meat, whatever you like, with mushrooms, onion, green beans or other veg and pour on some jarred alfredo sauce. I can get some that is quite low carb. 3 gr per 1/4 cup 1 gram being fiber, or sometimes make my own with shaved parmesan and heavy cream. It's tasty and very filling.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The best thing I learned to recognise is the difference between not hungry and full - it's not easy and takes time but there really is a big difference.

There is a website but I can't remember the name of it - something like what's in my fridge that you can put all the ingredients you intend to cook with and it will give you some recipes - I think @noblehead may know the one I mean - or I may be totally wrong about that lol

Hi @lovinglife

Do you mean the app Cook & Count, it works out the nutritional value of the meal when you cook from scratch:

http://www.healthapps.uk.com/cook-and-count.html

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What would everyone suggest to eat as a low sugar sweet snack a few hours after tea please? Sometimes, not always, I feel like having cup of tea with something sweet. What can I safely have?

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have a look at the 'low carb - what have you eaten today' thread. Lots of tasty ideas for meals and snacks

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm really into home made vegetable curries just now.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Tonight was fried steak fried egg and mushy peas.