So frustrated with FreeStyle Libre .. at my wits end

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just about had enough now. I'm one of the unlucky ones who started having a reaction to the Libre adhesive after the sixth or seventh sensor. For the last 9 months or so I've been firing the sensor over a Compeed to get around this and have generally had a lot of success.

However, lately, for some reason, I'm now finding that the sensor is not firing through the Compeed (i.e. the filament gets mangled up in the Compeed rather than firing through and into the skin). I've no idea what's changed or what I might be doing differently. I've even tried piercing a hole in the Compeed using a special puncher and - whilst that worked at first - I still got a reaction and (perhaps a coincidence) in the last week the sensor was so inaccurate it was basically useless and causing more stress than it was worth.

I'm now at my wits end - I've just wasted 3 sensors in a row on failed insertions over Compeed and obviously don't expect Abbott to replace these when they don't condone using a Compeed underneath.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for Compeed alternatives or what I can do to get the sensor to fire through it? I've tried regular plasters and duoderm without success. I absolutely love the Libre system ... really wish they'd change the adhesive :( I expect that - because people like me are still ordering despite the skin reactions - they probably aren't too worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
how about cavilon spray ?

here is a description of the product

Cavilon no sting barrier film is a long lasting skin protection film for people with damaged skin or those with skin at risk of damage. It is available in single use applicators, as a spray or a stoma wipe.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Himtoo! I should have mentioned that I've tried Cavilon too. Made my reaction even worse unfortunately! :(

I also tried Skin Tac wipes but they made no difference.

asnjhaley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also developed a reaction to the libre adhesive. Skin tac etc. were no help. I took advice from the forum (thank you) and used compeed successfully for several months (I was punching a hole with a leather punch) until I reacted to the adhesive of the compeed.

Any suggestions on what I can do now would be very welcome as I have found using the sensor life changing in terms of my diabetic control but the reactions o the adhesive are getting worse every time.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also developed a reaction to the libre adhesive. Skin tac etc. were no help. I took advice from the forum (thank you) and used compeed successfully for several months (I was punching a hole with a leather punch) until I reacted to the adhesive of the compeed.

Any suggestions on what I can do now would be very welcome as I have found using the sensor life changing in terms of my diabetic control but the reactions o the adhesive are getting worse every time.
I also started reacting to Compeed but it's only when the hole is punched into it so I assume it's the Libre adhesive some how "leaking" through. I am now back to firing over the Compeed without making a hole and (touch wood) the last two have been fine; if you roll the Compeed in your hands and warm it up the Libre sensor fires through it more easily. It's a risk, though. You might like to know that Abbott have announced a new adhesive has just been released, with a "waffle pattern" so that the skin can breathe more easily. Hopefully this might help those of us with the reactions.

In terms of other suggestions, a popular one is to spray your skin with Flonase allergy spray and let it dry before adding the Compeed/sensor. This didn't work for me but lots of other people have had success.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I've got the Libre and have a history of plaster/tape allergies so I was (still am) concerned that I might not tolerate the adhesive on the sensor. I got my Libre on 15 August, so just 16 days ago but am on 3rd sensor as first one I knocked off after 6n days :( then the 2nd fell off before 24 hours which Abbott replaced and it's this replacement I'm wearing now.

I haven't tried this yet but, at any sign of allergy, I will. I bought a small bottle of Tinc Benz (Friar's Balaam) for £5.00 in town with the intention of putting a coating on my skin, letting it dry and then applying the sensor. I don't know if it will work but, in my nursing days in Orthopaedics, when patients would need traction applied via a kit using long strips of elastoplast for the length of the leg, both sides, this is what we applied to help minimise any allergy and also to help the adhesiveness of the plaster. Removal was no different, maybe a bit easier, than without this tinc Benz, although the elastoplast stuck really well with this applied first.

I'm hoping it may be useful to me once I start showing signs of allergy although, obviously if I don't then that'll be bonus :)

I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone tries this and whether it is successful or not. A small bottle of 10 mls (I think) should last a long time so good value - if it works.

Just one of my 'outside the box' crazy ideas ;)
Julie

Reactions: 2 people