Basal Testing While Breastfeeding

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wasn't sure if this belongs in the pregnancy section or here, but this is life post baby so not pregnancy related.

I was started on a pump in January this year when I was 3 months pregnant. As they don't advise fasting while pregnant I wasn't able to do proper basal tests, and just tried to make the best of it with very low carb meals for testing.
Since baby arrived pump settings haven't been high on my priority list, but I'd like to try and get things back on track - at the moment I am having some odd hypos. The thing is I am breastfeeding, so am thinking that fasting probably isn't sensible at this time. I'm also not sure if that is what is causing the hypos, in which case changing basal rates may not help.
Anyone been in the same situation? Any advice as to how I can check things without compromising baby's nutrition?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ArtemisBow :)

I've moved this to Pregnancy for you as many of us mums still check here :)
You're quite right to avoid basal testing during breastfeeding. My son is 15 months old now and I haven't done a basal test because I'm still feeding him.

In the first few months of breastfeeding, insulin needs are still often lower. I had slightly less basal and my ratios were slightly different from pre-pregnancy. It's very normal :)

My tips are to snack without a bolus when you need to, especially in between meals when you're feeding. You may also want to look at adjusting your meal ratios slightly.

i also reduced my hourly basal at times when I went low. I didn't basal test. The 'test' is whether your sugars are ok. And. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter whether you adjust the basal or ratio as long as you're safe and in range.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to give you a rough idea of how my basal differed, these are my approx figures (all approx as I don't remember the exact decimal points)

Pre-pregnancy - basal of 7.8
Pregnancy - ending up with basal of 19.8
Early breastfeeding (say the first 6-8 months) - basal of 6.3
Later breastfeeding - basal of 7
Now gradually approaching my pre-pregnancy basal

Edited to add that I got to those basals gradually, cautiously tweaking and seeing the result. My measure was simply my blood test results.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks azure - at the moment I am just adjusting if I see hypos at consistent times but still find myself raiding the jelly babies a lot! I don't like having hypos when it's just us at home because I worry about dropping her or something- that hasn't happened yet, I always catch them in time so far, but it's still a worry.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks azure - at the moment I am just adjusting if I see hypos at consistent times but still find myself raiding the jelly babies a lot! I don't like having hypos when it's just us at home because I worry about dropping her or something- that hasn't happened yet, I always catch them in time so far, but it's still a worry.

I think there are consistent hypos, like you said, but also ones that can appear at any time eg if you're feeding a lot or if baby's unsettled and you're up and down to her. (Note - these can also happen if a woman's not breastfeeding)

People totally underestimate the massive change to routine when you have a baby. Basically there isn't one! I think of it as like a sport - you adjust and top up with glucose and food as necessary.

The trick is to test lots - and I really do mean lots. Keep a meter upstairs and a meter downstairs. Have your favourite chairs for feeding and put Lucozade and snacks beside them.

I'm now on my own with my son. I test a huge number of times still - like a human CGM. Sometimes in the early days, I'd test 3 times in 30 mins if my blood sugar was very dynamic. Remember your body is doing an amazing job feeding your daughter. You need to kind of be your body's carer. Monitor BS, top up with food and water, rest. Like looking after a premium racing car : D

I can't stress the importance of testing enough. Don't be afraid to test as often as you need and on a regular basis. You're not failing if you need Lucoazade - that's completely normal. Extra snacks are normal too. Drink and eat as you need, and don't bolus if you don't need to for snacks. Breastfeeding requires an extra 500-700 calories a day - that shows how busy your body is.

Keep going - I'm sure you're doing brilliantly :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Lucozade is better to get that whack of glucose in there and working, I've found. I only used it in this last pregnancy (I have 3 children) and the difference was noticeable. Much quicker and easier due to its concentration and swiggability : D

I've ben trying to remember the changes I made to my ratios in the early months. I can't remember exactly what I did and when, but once I'd got settled, I reduced my basal gradually as above with some quite big changes for certain times of the day, and then I made a minor change to my breakfast ratio and bgger changes to my lunch and evening meal ones. I simplified things by eating the same meal for lunch when I was changing that one. I went from 1:8g to 1:10 for lunch, and a similar change to my evening meal. I also ran slightly higher than normal to give myself a bit of a cushion. Not a lot, but just a little bit. That helped too.

Another tip is to wear something with pockets every day and make sure you have glucose tablets in those pockets for when you're on the move about the house or suddenly think you might be dropping.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my basal and bolus ratios still low now and I do have swings. I haven't basal tested as with twins and a diabetic 2yr old I'm quite stressed out and need to eat when I can fit it in. The twins were up 6 times last night grrrr. I still express everyday. I think with all the hormones, sleep deprivation and milk production it's not wise to basal test. I'm having less basal and bolus still before pre preg. As @azure does I still try and test a lot (can't look after my 3 if I'm not well myself is my thinking). Xx

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@ArtemisBow i also started a pump at 10 weeks pregnant but no one gave me that advice so i did basal test while pregnant. I haven't done it while breastfeedimg as i come from a religion with occasional fasts and know from others that the fasts tend to mean you have less milk the following 2 days which is why most breastfeeding women receive get outs from them.

What i did do when i was having problems if you look on this board a while back is write 5 days of results down in chart form and from that I could identify the occasional low was not so one off and spot trends. The other thing i did was do some lowish carb meals to check my ratio so if it was off i wouldn't dip too much or go mega high. Testing is key. If you can get a cgm it really helps. It's all slightly finger in the air i'm afraid so good luck. And yes breast feeding does give random hypos think of it as your body constantly exercising - even while asleep.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou ladies - fortunately I can afford to have a libre which is a big help for seeing lows coming, I have got a couple of breastfeeding stations set up round the house with snacks and water so that I have them nearby. I might get some Lucozade in though for those times I need a really fast hit!

Reactions: 2 people