Apple Cider Vinegar On Tv Tonight

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for the link.

I have made it routine to take a tablespoon twice a day, diluted, I will now try two tablespoons 2x a day. I really never tested myself, though, was just following advice from an elderly friend who finds it gives him energy. He once stopped drinking it and it made him less energetic.

Anyway, every little thing to help control this diabetes is good.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it only ACV? Can't stand the suff but love mustard and horseradish that have vinegar. I have tight cintrol of bs and I do notice an effect. I have a few bites of protein with mustard before bed and fasting is always a little lower

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched it, @Oldvatr - did you miss the first few mins? They covered the cider vinegar early on.
Very small samples for the testing.
They got about 5 people to eat a bagel one morning (44g carbs) and tested bg.
Then the same ppl, the next morning, same bagel, but drinking diluted cider vinegar beforehand.
- significant reduction in bg spike.

Then they did another test over... um... 8 weeks?
Where some drank cider vin, some malt vin, and some placebo, to see if there were any effects on weight, bp, bg, cholesterol, etc.
No significant change in any but the cholesterol, apparently.
More details on the website.

I was actually more interested in the bacteriophages. I saw a news article about them maybe 20 years ago, and thought how marvellous it would be to get rid of antibiotics for something better. Very glad to see that the work is continuing - esp in view of the recent studies on the gut biome.

I found the programme irritatingly superficial (for instance they didn't say which bit of the cholesterol was lowered by the cider vinegar) but quite interesting as a spring board to further reading.

:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ACV apparently interacts with some medicines????

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I found the programme irritatingly superficial (for instance they didn't say which bit of the cholesterol was lowered by the cider vinegar) but quite interesting as a spring board to further reading.

:)

Quite agree. Not sure what they actually proved either. Shame it is the vinegar and not just apple cider eh?

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll give this a shot. I have hot water & lemon first thing every day, so I'll stop that and start on dilute ACV before breakfast and evening meal. Couple of points ...
"The acetic acid in the cider vinegar suppresses the breakdown of starches, which means that if you consume it before a carb-rich meal, less sugar will get absorbed." -- I don't have carb-rich meals, but in a month or two I'll get another Freestyle Libre sensor and see how my background BS level is settling out. At the moment I use fat to do what ACV apparently does.
"Those consuming cider vinegar saw an average 13% reduction in total cholesterol, with a strikingly large reduction in triglycerides (a form of fat). And this was a particularly impressive finding because our volunteers were all healthy at the start, with normal cholesterol levels." -- My cholesterol was 7.2 at the last count so ACV is going to have to go some to shift it. Do you have a fasting test for trigs? My surgery doesn't do that. Did they do HDL and non-HDL as well on the programme?
Also, can too-low cholesterol be harmful in itself?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR

Did you notice the bit where Moseley said 'Don't over do it, vinegar is very acid'.
I trust you not not overdo it. :) but I am wondering if rinsing the mouth out after drinking the ACV might reduce the tooth dissolving effect of the acid...?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick Holford in his book.... Say no to diabetes.... states that the apple cider vinegar is only effective with high carb meals.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you notice the bit where Moseley said 'Don't over do it, vinegar is very acid'.
I trust you not not overdo it. /QUOTE]
Yes, it's a bit of a shock to the old tastebuds. Maybe less ACV to start with.

Patrick Holford in his book.... Say no to diabetes.... states that the apple cider vinegar is only effective with high carb meals.
I'm not too keen to test that one just yet.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried 2 tablespoons diluted in 200ml of water this morning (as per the BBC mag report) and it made me gag - I just couldn't hack it, far too strong for me. Ended up throwing it down the sink. I don't think I want to try that again. :( Did they mention a greater dilute could also be effective, even if a bit less so?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they mention a greater dilute could also be effective, even if a bit less so?
I'm starting with a teaspoonful and plan to work up to it. Amazing what you can get used to. I worked so hard when I was 15 at getting to like smoking so anything's possible!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DeejayR

I trust you not not overdo it. :) but I am wondering if rinsing the mouth out after drinking the ACV might reduce the tooth dissolving effect of the acid...?
Yes. That's probably a good idea.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the research I found for ACV states that the vinegar needs to be the unrefined type, since the active components seem to lurk in the globular lump at the bottom of the jar. Filtered ACV is not very effective, apparently.

Rinsing after drinking may not prevent tooth erosion, since saliva will neutralise the acid fairly quickly anyway. The claims on TV adverts about acid erosion are a marketing ploy (IMO). However, my uncle was a dentist, and his party trick was to leave a tooth overnight in a glass of well known soda fizz, and watch it dissolve and disappear by morning.. Not sure if ACV would have the same effect. Lipsmacking gutwrenching teethrotting//////etc. was a corruption of a marketing jingle I remember from my youth.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I make my bone broth, the recipe uses a couple of tablespoons of ACV.
After gentle 24 hr slow cook, the bones have softened to the point that they almost crumble, having leached the minerals out into the water, due to the acidity of the ACV and the heat.

I definitely don't want to risk that happening, even on a tiny scale, to my teeth!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" BBC you can get it on iPlayer if you are in the UK.
Although I'm not sure it's worth it...
I caught it on iplayer. It seemed a bit confused.