Newly Diagnosed As Type 2 & Feeling Alone!

AndyFi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks Liam for response , i did indeed , i was given a antibotic and injection of buscopan , gp advised not drinking enough too, , but ok now. I have been reading the information on low carb diet .

thanks again
Andy

Reactions: 2 people

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Last week I was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic. I'd had the usual symptoms of extreme thirst, blurred vision etc and a blood test revealed my blood sugars were 20.

I saw the practice nurse, who wanted to put me on insulin there & then! because of the high level. But, as there was no-one at the surgery to monitor/help me with this for the next couple of weeks, she couldn't.

I came away with advice about cutting down sugar/carbs and Metformin tablets to take.

After a week on the tablets (1 a day) and completely cutting out crisps, sweets, chocolate etc. I barely have the energy to push the Hoover round!

Seems logical to me - as I've cut down on food that was giving me energy - or could it be the tablets?

Having had nothing much more than a couple of colds a year, for most of my life (43 yrs) this has all been a massive shock for me!

2 more weeks until I see the nurse again - just worried I may not have the energy to get out of bed by then!
I am following a LowcarbHighfat way of eating. The fat gives me energy. Read The Real Meal Revolution. It's working for me. I was at 18 now 4.8

Reactions: 4 people

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am also newly diagnosed and have decided to try and control with diet. In two weeks I have lost half a stone and my bs readings seem to be going in the right direction. I decided not to take the Metformin and it was put to me by the nurse "do you want tablets or not". I have learned so much from this forum and still learning. I have also upped my exercise. Got arthritis in my knee but losing the weight had meant that I can rejoin my spinning class without the pain.
Good luck
Read the Real Meal Revolution it really works.

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am also newly diagnosed and have decided to try and control with diet. In two weeks I have lost half a stone and my bs readings seem to be going in the right direction. I decided not to take the Metformin and it was put to me by the nurse "do you want tablets or not". I have learned so much from this forum and still learning. I have also upped my exercise. Got arthritis in my knee but losing the weight had meant that I can rejoin my spinning class without the pain.
Good luck
Read the Real Meal Revolution it sorted me out. I feel so much healthier.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@AndyFi - Good to hear that you were treated. The LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat Diet) is very popular with a lot of forum members. It reduces HBA1C, Blood Sugars and weight. Take a look at this: http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Drink plenty of water, the more water you drink the better, it helps to flush out your system and stabilise glucose in the bloodstream.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
thanks all for your encouragement, it is very appreciated.

GP weighed me today and i have lost 2kg since he weighed me last Monday, that is 4 and half pounds. I have been on the 8 week blood sugar diet with the Dr Mosley book, and am very pleased as that is a massive loss in 1 week, without feeling very deprived or hungry ! I showed him the book and he had heard of it, but not in detail and he is happy for me to continue ( not that he could have persuaded me otherwise to be honest ) I have continued with normal energy levels which included 3 days moving furniture and lots of walks, so have not felt tired - Shoelace the diet allows more fat and protein, so am eating more cheese and meat instead of carbs, so maybe you need to do that too ?

I am about to start Metformin, lowest dose, he prescribed the SR while telling me its more expensive but worth it, and to see the Nurse for advice about general eye and foot health etc. As i live in a rural area, joining a support group would be a pain, so I'm going to use this Forum instead, and my friend is going to diet with me as she had several diabetic relatives who all had terrible lives coping with it (back in the 1960's !).

So feeling a bit positive, just need those eyes to get back to normal,

Shoelace - if you are feeling tired, why not try a day or so of my diet ? Sample day: 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, with a couple of tomatoes and several cups of tea. Lunch: Avocado with green salad and any other green thing i fancy like celery/ green beans , 1 large tomato, and either a tablespoon of butterbean hummus or a little mayonnaise, or a portion of grated cheese. Dinner: Roast Chicken or Steak or Fish or any other meat (with its fat mmmmmm) with home made ratatouille or other filling veg. That leaves a bit of flexibility for a snack such as cheese, or nuts, or peanut butter etc. Honestly I am not hungry or tired at all, and its still low calory, and men can have supper too ! anyway the point im trying to make is that, like NigelH says, you need to add fat to your diet which may sound madness but you need energy to burn
@cusally
Well done on the weight loss - it really will make the difference, I managed 5 stone in 4 months, and now have a BMI of 25, but then I did go at it aggressively! .... I'm now the preverbial skinny bloke!
Ref your eyesight, I too went VERY blurry after 2 weeks of being 'labelled' and panicked that I was already losing my sight! The GP reassured me that over time a lot of glucose had built up in the lens (as it had all over!!!!), and I wouldn't have noticed it changing shape. Because I had cut out all the sugar etc it had started to 'dry out' quite quickly and was going back to where it was and its original shape - but because it happens so quickly, you do notice the blurring..... the reassuring point here is that it shows your blood glucose levels ARE now reducing.... and quickly. My eyesight is now possibly slightly better than it was, I.e. I don't need my reading glasses as much!
On 'finger pricking' and testing, I realise I am in a minority in here, but I don't, and haven't yet felt the need to do so (I'm not needle or blood phobic). In 4 months I have had 3 ('armful' - to quote Tony Hancock) blood tests, and 4 'finger pricks' - thatsit. So far it has worked for me and I have achieved excellent results all round in all of my 'stats' in 4 months. Most importantly my hba1c level is now only 1 point into the pre diabetic level, and have been told IF I had presented with this reading in the first place, I would not have been 'branded' (my term here) for life as I now have. I have taken to heart the 3 tenants of 'branded' life, eat healthily, be active physically, and lose and maintain a good weight......... all the sensible stuff I should have done before! If you feel testing and pricking daunts you at the moment ...... don't do it! - do what is right for YOU!
This place is a good place for info and I have learned a lot, but like the BBC always say ........ other resources are also available!
Good luck with whatever you do.

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
thanks Heretic1, I like your ideas ! it's strange that an illness can be so personalised isn't it, that is the first thing I'm learning here. As long as I'm losing weight I don't want to use needles, and I have had such a shock with not being able to see properly I feel I'm motivated to lose weight more than any other period of my life. .. as you say all the sensible stuff I should have done before !

lostit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How can I get out of this page and read the flash notices that come up?

AndyFi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rekkat , we are all in the same boat , if you discuss your concerns others here maybe be able to help and reduce the scary parts but your not alone.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@cusally I too think it is the most motivational diet I have ever been on (not that I ever dieted previously) and I call it the Scared S***less Diet. I realise 'it' can be difficult to control, and that the only elements I control are what I eat, and how much I exercise ..... both of which have an impact on the weight I loose, and of course all three of these combined have an impact on my blood sugar levels - or so the theory goes!. My weight loss has been dramatic, and fear continues to be my motivation EVERY day. The ONLY positive thing I see I'm my new situation is that 5stone lighter, I'm fitter and more active than I have been for years (probably to the extreme some would say), but can now run 5miles with ease, I can cycle 20+ miles without even raising a bead of sweat ..... however none of my clothes now fit me having lost 10'+ from my waist!

@Rexkat i am 4 months in, and equally still not at ease with myself or 'it' myself and veer between slightly worried, to sometimes terrified. I'm still waiting for it to get better -I'm just hitting everything in my control in the interim!

Good luck to you both .......however YOU decide to manage it!

Reactions: 4 people

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a chock too, didnt sleep for 3 nights..( 3 months ago). what I have found out is that if you are able to get your blood glucose Down under 5.5 mmol then you have almost no more risks than most other persons your age...... the doctors do far too Little to tell what kind of foods you can actually eat without fearing anything... lean chicken fried in very Little olive oil almost all vegetables except from corn/potatoes and Cook carrots ...........raw carrots are okay... low fat yougurt with no sugar and low fat cottage cheese ; eat all you can eat.... eat lots of cherries (but less than 300 grams/day)... and some blueberries..

stop eating fried and baked potatoes at all and no corn cornflakes and anything with sugar for breakfast... no raisins... no watermelon, stop eating White bread... and almost White bread ... well only wholegrain bread is okay actually.. 2 packets of sugarfree gums is okay a day for in between meals...

my blood glucose was initially 17mmol now in 3 month it is close to 6 .... and have lost 12 kg.... walked 2-5 km pro day and now starting fitnees cardio-training and building muscles

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Freema - Hello and you are doing brilliantly to have got your blood sugars down and lost weight in just 3 months. Give yourself a pat on the back - you certainly deserve it.:)
A lot of Forum Members favour the LCHF Diet = Low Carb High Fat Diet. Have a read here it the link:http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
For snacking why not try a handful of raw (unsalted) nuts: Pecans, Almonds, Cashews and Walnuts they are good for lowering and controlling blood sugars.
If in doubt about anything? Just post a question (s) you will probably get several answers from different people.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema - Hello and you are doing brilliantly to have got your blood sugars down and lost weight in just 3 months. Give yourself a pat on the back - you certainly deserve it.:)
A lot of Forum Members favour the LCHF Diet = Low Carb High Fat Diet. Have a read here it the link:http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
For snacking why not try a handful of raw (unsalted) nuts: Pecans, Almonds, Cashews and Walnuts they are good for lowering and controlling blood sugars.
If in doubt about anything? Just post a question (s) you will probably get several answers from different people.
thank you... <3 I am so happy too...that I lost weight...I thought that the sooner the better ..so i dont destroy my pancreas totally by high blood glucose

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
am actually thinking of high fat diet... now only looking to see how my cholesterol looks after 3 month doing the 16/8hour diet and rather low fat except from a few days only on fresh coconut all day

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a chok too, didnt sleep for 3 nights..( 3 months ago). what I have found out is that if you are able to get your blood glucose Down under 5.5 mmol the you have no more risks than most other persons your age...... the doctors do far too Little to tell what kind of foods you can actually eat without fearing anything... lean chicken fried in very Little olive oil almost all vegetables except from corn/potatoes and Cook carrots ...........raw carrots are okay... low fat yougurt with no sugar and low fat cottage cheese ; eat all you can eat.... eat lots of cherries (but less than 300 grams/day)... and some blueberries..

stop eating fried and baked potatoes at all and no corn cornflakes and anything with sugar for breakfast... no raisins... no watermelon, stop eating White bread... and almost White bread ... well only wholegrain bread is okay actually.. 2 packets of sugarfree gums is okay a day for in between meals...

my blood glucose was initially 17mmol now in 3 month it is close to 6 .... and have lost 12 kg.... walked 2-5 km pro day and now starting fitnees cardio-training and building muscles
I think you may have misunderstood the role of fats. On a low carb diet it is wise to up your fat intake. So full fat yoghurt is better than low fat for example and olive oil, butter and mayonnaise are good as they make you feel full and stay full for a long time.

Also bread regardless of colour tends to wreak havoc with blood sugar levels so best avoided.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totto I´m not yet on a LCHF diet I am on a low kcal diet 1000 calories pro day and fasting 16/8 from 19hour till 12 hour next day ..
my cholesterol is a Little high and now I am waiting to see what the blood tests from my doctor tells before I am thinking of trying LCHF

I hardly eat any bread at all.. I eat very low carb but high protein right now

Shoelace1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Has anyone else had any differences in readings using the SD codefree machine? I tested tonight before eating and got 5.5 - I was so shocked (but pleased!) i re-tested, using same blood/finger & got 6.1 ! Then re-tested using different finger & got 5.7?

Reactions: Freema