Eating Eggs

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat no red meat. I'm not a vegan and eat, sometimes, 2 boiled eggs daily. A friend told me today that Dr Furhmann's book on preventing diabetes says eggs are bad. I didn't quite understand the explanation. Something to do with an insulin like growth factor. No idea what that is. Anyway, my question is if it is alright to eat boiled eggs?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be frank, my opinion of Dr Fuhrman is that he's one of those "out there health gurus" who plays pretty fast and loose with the scientific evidence. Even calling nutrition a "science" is a fairly large exaggeration as most of it is based on poorly done epidemiological studies. Other experts will tell you that eggs are one of the best sources of nutrients out there. I prefer to believe them because I like eggs ;)

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To be frank, my opinion of Dr Fuhrman is that he's one of those "out there health gurus" who plays pretty fast and loose with the scientific evidence. Even calling nutrition a "science" is a fairly large exaggeration as most of it is based on poorly done epidemiological studies. Other experts will tell you that eggs are one of the best sources of nutrients out there. I prefer to believe them because I like eggs ;)

I totally agree with you. I stopped trusting his 'opinions' years ago.
On the egg issue, I've found so much evidence to the contrary.
I trust this site much more than I trust his 'opinions.'
This site has helped me more than doctors, etc.
There are so many proven successes and a wealth of information.
Thank you for your response.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One "guru" I do trust because she's a real scientist doing real research for recognised institutions is Dr Rhonda Patrick. Found this video of hers on IGF-1 and the trade-off between performance and longevity:

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great video! She read similar info to me from Fuhrman's book who someone twisted this into eggs being an offender.
According to Dr Patrick, I'm doing the right things.
I tried to subscribe to Dr Patrick's site, I guess it is, but screen just kept going blank.
I'm going to search for her on Internet. Would love to hear more from her.
Thank you!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd rather have the performance - longevity scares me, especially the kind where you're a helpless invalid at the mercy of others :angelic:

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're the second person I've heard, this week, say they are afraid of longevity.
I'm looking forward to living to a ripe old age!
I found Dr Patrick on Twitter. Saw some interesting advice that validates that I'm not doing too bad at taking care of myself. Wahoo!