What Do You Eat?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat half an avocado but I buy big ones. I suppose I COULD eat more but no need. Actually the more I eat the hungrier I get so I guess I do better with small meals and a few snacks.
Wow you must be super skinny! For me it wasnt a lot but did get to lunch (a salad with seafood)... i do fasts in which i go 24 hrs without food or drink, but when i am not fasting (and that time if the month) i do struggle to control the hunger... i am losing weight started may last year 120kg (but was pregnant) was able to get down to 85kg at feb this year but couldnt get lower than that on nhs diet until april when started lchf. now at 64kg but still need to get lower.. they say still need to lose ideally 10kg to be nicely in the healthy range. I lost 20cm from my waist but have umbilical hernia making me look pregnant so should be even smaller if i didnt gave that! Loads of work still to do and not very patient to wait for it to happen!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an avocado and a cellery stick with cheese for bf, 5.8 before and 5.9 after! Didnt have dinner because daughter needed to go to a&e (stapled her own finger!) Didnt get home till 2am... was 5.8 at 2 am too!

Any other advice for lunch and dinner? I had a chocolate mousse (90% chocolate and cream with eggs and stevia) doesnt raise my bgl... also is there anything other than stevia as it is yucky! Would be nice to see what everyone else uses.

Dinner will be asparagus with home made butter sauce.

I also do over 20 mins exercise per day (not including normal day movements)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops,, poo girl. Hope she's ok!

Great news on BF. Great way to start the day!!
Do you find them filling and satisfying and less need for snacks?? Not only the avocado but very flat bs keeps the hungries away. When I fluctuate I get hungry. Are you e joking them? How are you eating it?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops,, poo girl. Hope she's ok!

Great news on BF. Great way to start the day!!
Do you find them filling and satisfying and less need for snacks?? Not only the avocado but very flat bs keeps the hungries away. When I fluctuate I get hungry. Are you e joking them? How are you eating it?
Steady in the day but when they rise even a little i feel ill and dizzy etc.

I just had marinated sardines and cheese for dinner and really tired so trying to get the baby to sleep so i can too! Maybe i was just tired. I didnt eat the asparagus so will have tomorrow...

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think i have found what can lower my bgl! Asparagus. It has really helped, was really naughty last night, my son wouldnt eat his chocolate cake (shocking i know) sooo i just had to have it for him, was waiting for 8s but had 5.5... after chocolate cake! The only thing i can think of is i had asparagus for lunch. After lunch was at 4.8 which is phenominal as after natural yog for bf had a whopping 7.8. Will be eating aspargus everyday from now on. Hba1c on tuesday so really excited to see what that says! If it is below 44 they say i will no longer be considered diabetic... though i still think i am intolerant to carbs and will stay on this diet as well as test regularly i just think i will no longer be in the "danger zone".

Any one else have good results with asparagus?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Asparagus is the one veggies that does not raise me much. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans always raise me. One shocking thing is how much lettuce raises me. A LOT! Far more than you would think. Asparagus is very fibery, the stringy fiber and lower carb than other veg.

Good news on your numbers but it is your diet that is giving you those numbers. I wouldn't veere too far from your diet. As the saying goes, once a diabetic always a diabetic. Some people are fortunate enough to be able to control it through diet and exercise and some of us aren't so fortunate.

Reactions: 2 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asparagus is the one veggies that does not raise me much. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans always raise me. One shocking thing is how much lettuce raises me. A LOT! Far more than you would think. Asparagus is very fibery, the stringy fiber and lower carb than other veg.

Good news on your numbers but it is your diet that is giving you those numbers. I wouldn't veere too far from your diet. As the saying goes, once a diabetic always a diabetic. Some people are fortunate enough to be able to control it through diet and exercise and some of us aren't so fortunate.
It is the fact that i was bad and ate a slice of chocolate cake and didnt have a rise! Very strange will carry on with the asparagus as i do like it and if it has a knock on affect in lower bgl then great.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I love asparagus. When I was a kid we would go pick it in the creek bottoms where it had gone wild. Unfortunately it does not grow wild where I live now and on sale it is 5$ a pound so I rarely buy it.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love asparagus. When I was a kid we would go pick it in the creek bottoms where it had gone wild. Unfortunately it does not grow wild where I live now and on sale it is 5$ a pound so I rarely buy it.
Tescos is doing it on sale 3 for £4 and they weigh 250g each (unless your silly and go for the smaller stalks which weigh 125g but still 3 for £4) best to buy in season when cheaper and freeze some... i have pots of strawberries and rasberries in the freezer too as those go to stupid money at other times of the year. I also have the good fortune of having a husband who can get fruit and veg cheeper (from supplier) for the shop... used to like the smoothies but too much sugar in it!

Any way asparagus with butter or hollondaise sauce (home made) goes down well and i saw a knock on effect with my fbg as well as after meal bgl! Maybe there is something else in it to reduce insulin resistance or stimulates insulin production (not sure what i have that has gone wrong!)

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shukshouka is a new recipe i have found.. onions garlic pepper tomato and egg. I also added harisa and ras el hanoot. Cumin chilli salt and pepper. Didnt get the results (sorry) baby wanted bed.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anything other than stevia as it is yucky!
I use xylitol. It looks and tastes pretty much the same as sugar. At £10 a kilo I can't afford to use much, which is good since things that used to taste a bit sour now taste sweet.
Xylitol is poisonous to dogs.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tend to use sugar free syrups like davinci or torani. These are liquid splenda and are truly zero carb. Granulated splenda has carbs because of the bulking agent.

CHICKY53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a Type 1 for over 60 years I have some lemon water before breakfast 2 weetabix and a cup of coffee nearly everyday.
For lunch some green veg potatoes and meat/fish plus some fruit
teatime is a wholemeal sandwich 2 large slices of bread and some filling yesterday it was tinned salmon thats my lot for the day I do have drinks of coffee throughout the day

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a Type 1 for over 60 years I have some lemon water before breakfast 2 weetabix and a cup of coffee nearly everyday.
For lunch some green veg potatoes and meat/fish plus some fruit
teatime is a wholemeal sandwich 2 large slices of bread and some filling yesterday it was tinned salmon thats my lot for the day I do have drinks of coffee throughout the day
What were your bg results for those meals?

I find lemon raises me but i know others can tolerate it.