Type 2, Reducing Medication

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Was diagnosed as Type 2 in Feb 2016. Been on 1000Mg Metformin and quickly raised to 2000mg Metformin + Statins within a few weeks.

My original MMOL/L reading was 20+, but by Managing my diet, being very strict (i "Punish Myself" when I've been bad, and eat less for a few days) i am now regularly between 4.2MMOL/L and 7.2 MMOL/L depending on Fasting/Eating, I.e. Controlled. I am in a position where my GP, based on my latest HBA1C test, and Reitnotherapy Results, is happy for me to half the dose of Metformin, with a view to being Metformin free in 6 months (if the results are favourable)

I've done this by being harsh and brutal with myself, being strict on the Carbs, and working through the mental blockers we all face daily - meals are not always boring, but i i do over indulge, i make sure i am very strict over the next 2-3 days. Its not ideal, or right, but it works for me. The cycle of "Punishing myself" when ive been bad, really keeps me focused.

I really hope i can be Dietary controlled only come 2017, but i post this hoping it gives others hope, and understanding that, at the end of the day, we can, if we want, reduce, or reverse diabetes. I think i was lucky, i didn't ignore the symptoms (even though i was really very ill when i was diagnosed) - and i chose to do something about it.

I'm not perfect, but i dont beat myself up with it, but my management of my BG, shows good results, to the extent, that once i figured out what i could / couldnt eat, i was able to maintain a good level, and i still maintain that level today.

Just hope this helps people, and gives them some hope.

Much Love,

Cookie02392

Attachments

• MMOL-L.png
    MMOL-L.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 382

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Well done, also personally I find exercise does help to control blood sugars. I must admit I am now a bit obsessive, after not doing any for 35 years. and swim a mile every day . However I find my BS will be fine, even if I miss one day. However if I miss two days, things that my body would normally be fine with start to raise my BS higher.

Cheers, and again well done.

Mark

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Cookie02392 I wonder how long I'd need to punish myself after having type 2 for 40yrs?
Unfortunately that thought doesn't give me hope of reversing my diabetes but I can reach excellent control with good management without being reckless in my diet.
It all just proves 'one size doesnt fit all'.
Mentally I find extreme behaviour very very damaging. When a person hits burn out it can cause huge damage and defeats the whole fight.
I hit burn out and have nerve damage which I hope doesnt get worse, just better with excellent control.
Diabetes doesnt take a holiday but sometimes we have to have a break from the disease.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Was diagnosed as Type 2 in Feb 2016. Been on 1000Mg Metformin and quickly raised to 2000mg Metformin + Statins within a few weeks.

My original MMOL/L reading was 20+, but by Managing my diet, being very strict (i "Punish Myself" when I've been bad, and eat less for a few days) i am now regularly between 4.2MMOL/L and 7.2 MMOL/L depending on Fasting/Eating, I.e. Controlled. I am in a position where my GP, based on my latest HBA1C test, and Reitnotherapy Results, is happy for me to half the dose of Metformin, with a view to being Metformin free in 6 months (if the results are favourable)

I've done this by being harsh and brutal with myself, being strict on the Carbs, and working through the mental blockers we all face daily - meals are not always boring, but i i do over indulge, i make sure i am very strict over the next 2-3 days. Its not ideal, or right, but it works for me. The cycle of "Punishing myself" when ive been bad, really keeps me focused.

I really hope i can be Dietary controlled only come 2017, but i post this hoping it gives others hope, and understanding that, at the end of the day, we can, if we want, reduce, or reverse diabetes. I think i was lucky, i didn't ignore the symptoms (even though i was really very ill when i was diagnosed) - and i chose to do something about it.

I'm not perfect, but i dont beat myself up with it, but my management of my BG, shows good results, to the extent, that once i figured out what i could / couldnt eat, i was able to maintain a good level, and i still maintain that level today.

Just hope this helps people, and gives them some hope.

Much Love,

Cookie02392
Well Done indeed. I bet you are over the moon with that. I am slightly concerned that you are using carrot and stick to maintain your diet control (and you are not alone there - others beat themselves up over this too). I hope you settle down to work out a more sustainable diet for the long term, since that is what will be needed to keep things in control.

It is not shown what basis you are using for your diet, but it seems to be LC based. Personally, I use the LCHF approach since the increased fat content does help to quell the hunger pangs a bit, and so I don't snack behind my back or crave carbs so much. This aspect does, IMO make LCHF a good contender for the long term maintenance phase.

I too have reduced my meds on that diet, and I am in the middle of writing to my GP about a further significant reduction. But I have been T2D for over 10 years now, and my pancreas is no spring chicken, and I expect to still require some medical assistance. You should look at Metformin as being more than just a bgl reducing agent (actually it is not that good at that job) but it offers other long term benefits for the cardiovascular system too, and for that reason I will be keeping it on in my meds cabinet.

I am currently running with my weekly average bgl at 5.1 which is much less than the 20+ I was showing a year ago. You are doing the right things, and should not be beating yourself up at all. I hope you find a recipe book you like, and in time it becomes easy to select from a list of proven meals etc.

If it helps, I can declare that my whole family have been on an LCHF diet solidly since Xmas, and we have many meal alternatives that are preferred over the carbophilic versions (carbofull-ick?) but I am the only diabetic diagnosed so far. My Carboholic relatives are not strictly controlled, so do snack out in front of me, but funnily enough, I find it easy to say No thanks if offered. Mind you I was a smoker, and that too I can turn down now

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
it's always good to hear that other T2D are also able to make the same positive results. My partner and her kids also try and eat to what I eat, so generally we are healthier.

Of course I do the cooking (and I like too) but spag bill, with me having a non pasta alternative (corgetti) or while wheat pittas is certainly working.

Should it could I be better, yes, but I still have to live and proactive monitoring of my BG / Weight helps.

Good luck, seams we can all make significant changes not just for ourselves, but our love ones too.

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get back ache and insomnia from time to time, bit I manage it accordingly, a dose of Itsbruprofen and Cocodamol works. When I wake up the following mor IMG, I'm fine again. It's personal, and specific, but it works for me.

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Well done, also personally I find exercise does help to control blood sugars. I must admit I am now a bit obsessive, after not doing any for 35 years. and swim a mile every day . However I find my BS will be fine, even if I miss one day. However if I miss two days, things that my body would normally be fine with start to raise my BS higher.

Cheers, and again well done.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comment. And don't give up. What works for me won't work for you, but I'm also not lucky, I've just found a way to manage things that works for me.

Hope you find a way too.

Cheers, Cookie

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cookie

I have found a way, my HBA1C was 92 March this year when DX, and down to 39 in June. Off medication since June, and my BS is behaving well. (Average BS 5.4). Exercise has been one of my keys, along with low carb diet.

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Cookie02392 I wonder how long I'd need to punish myself after having type 2 for 40yrs?
Unfortunately that thought doesn't give me hope of reversing my diabetes but I can reach excellent control with good management without being reckless in my diet.
It all just proves 'one size doesnt fit all'.
Mentally I find extreme behaviour very very damaging. When a person hits burn out it can cause huge damage and defeats the whole fight.
I hit burn out and have nerve damage which I hope doesnt get worse, just better with excellent control.
Diabetes doesnt take a holiday but sometimes we have to have a break from the disease.
Hey Ickihun,

Don't give up, T1D/T2D is a personal issue, disease, and it affects everyone differently. I can manage my condition, because if the way my head works, Freud wouldn't line what I do, but it works for me.

Good luck.

Cookie.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I think you are in a good place, well done. But the real success here is being able to tolerate 2000mg Metformin. Now that makes me wince.

But seriously, well done.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a very different perspective, since I associate the words harsh, brutal and punishment with the miserable existence I had before went very low carb. It was one long cycle of guilt, very low calorie or carb binging, strict regimes and compensatory denial. Never again.

By contrast, I see (very) low carb as permissive foodie heaven and enjoy it. Interesting salads, mayonnaise made with herbs spices and garlic, delicious veg in huge portions with butter, cheese or oil, any meat fish or eggs done any way I like... Berries with cream, lc cakes, cookies, desserts and truffles, coffee with cream for breakfast, or hot choc or 70% dark choc, cheese boards... My life is now one sublime indulgence after another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done to you, your readings have come down.

I'm on the 2000mg Metformin and my inky gripe us swollen ankles. Can feel a bit sick, but overall I'm OK, but I need to reduce the puffiness, so hoping if my hba1c is reducing after test on Monday, then maybe it can be considered, but I don't know the procedure or whether I'd have to be on it for a longer period.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
if we want, reduce, or reverse diabetes.

Well done on controlling your condition. We can all control type II to an extent, but unless you can go back to eating about 250gms of carb a day, it's not really reversed, just controlled. You might like to get a c-peptide test and see how your pancreas is doing, completes the picture.