Is There Any Cereal That Is Ok To Eat For Breakfast.

RhettsHeir

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make some whole oat groats, a weeks worth, and nuke a bowl in the am. add some half and half and Splenda. it’s about 30 g of carb. I have some cottage cheese (w/cinnamon and Splenda). Works our to less than 40 g. carb. (I’m in US, cottage cheese may be called something else in UK. Curds? It’s got a lot more protein and fewer carbs than yogurt.)
Whole groats have lower glycemic index than rolled oats. I’ve haven’t found any cold cereal that doesn’t spike my BG.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always found porridge a bit too bland and high in carbs for me :(

I've settled on 2-3 weetabix with a sprinkling of mixed seeds (chia, sunflower and pumpkin) with almond milk.

Again, I've found normal milk affects my sugar levels, although to a lesser degree.

T1 for 27 years now.

Experiment - don't be afraid to try different options until you find one that works for you.

Good luck!

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I find Mornflake TOASTED OATBRAN doesn't do much damage, although it looks a bit like shredded cardboard. A measured 40G portion has 146 kcal, 17G C/H, 7G Fibre including 2.3G beta-Glucan. I've not included the milk, although it could be eaten with yoghurt. The soluble fibre slows sugar absorption and reduces cholesterol, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Reactions: 2 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've read that this Linzi's granola is about 3.8g of sugar per 100g, which is about 1/2 teaspoon per 50g portion.

Are these statistics suitable for a diabetic please?
I've bought a packet of goji berries and flaxseed, milled flaxseed and Sutton gold today to make this granola that someone else me toned about on here. There are other required ingredients, but I'll have to get them cheaper elsewhere, (went to Holland & Barrett), but, if this Linzi's is safe to eat, then I'll try that and see how much or little it affects my bg.

Do you think I could add this gogi berries flaxseed onto it?

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that this Linzi's granola is about 3.8g of sugar per 100g, which is about 1/2 teaspoon per 50g portion.

I've bought a packet of goji berries and flaxseed, milled flaxseed and Sutton gold today to make this granola that someone else me toned about on here. There are other required ingredients, but I'll have to get them cheaper elsewhere, (went to Holland & Barrett), but, if this Linzi's is safe to eat, then I'll try that and see how much or little it affects my bg.

I had high hopes for Lizi's Granola, after trying several others (Dorset Cereal my favourite) which caused my blood sugar to sky rocket. Alas, Lizi's was no better, my BS doubled after eating it! I was absolutely gutted as it was delicious. I have now given up on all shop bought muesli/granola and am going to try making my own soon. I fancy the cinnamon crunch one that has been mentioned on here before.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's the carbs you need to look at not the sugar. I think the carbs are around 45g per 100g.

You could experiment with your own granola mixes and test your BS after to see how you react.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cinnamon crunch sounds lovely.
Thank you both.

I've just come across the attached two recipes and wondered if these were any good please?

1472829553957.jpg
1472829570701.jpg

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of the power granola, 10g carbs in a 1/4 cup, hmmm, not sure that would be enough for me though for breakfast, sound like a mouse portion, I might have 1/2 a cup with 20g carbs, i would probably drop the splenda sweetener which might save a few. I might make this one, thanks for sharing.

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
JTL, interested to read about the Bullet Proof coffee. it sounds really interesting and good as I'm currently trying coffee with cream as a breakfast BUT doesn't the coconut oil give you high sugars? I'm a type 1. Has anybody else bought the XCT oil that's recommended for the Bullet Proof?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
JTL, interested to read about the Bullet Proof coffee. it sounds really interesting and good as I'm currently trying coffee with cream as a breakfast BUT doesn't the coconut oil give you high sugars? I'm a type 1. Has anybody else bought the XCT oil that's recommended for the Bullet Proof?
Coconut oil is virtually zero carbs. Lots of different approaches to bullet proof coffee online.
Mine is very simple. It's instant coffee with a dollop of coconut oil a dollop of butter and whisked to froth it up then put in the microwave for a few seconds to restore the heat that's been lost. Don't have to do this but I like my coffee very hot.
I'm on a very strong opiate and am never constipated because I consume at least 2 table spoons full of coconut oil a day. I haven't gone for the MCT oil as I'm suspect of ever stronger hits of anything.I think there'll be some bad news about the stuff somewhere down the line so coconut oil is good enough for my needs.

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of the power granola, 10g carbs in a 1/4 cup, hmmm, not sure that would be enough for me though for breakfast, sound like a mouse portion, I might have 1/2 a cup with 20g carbs, i would probably drop the splenda sweetener which might save a few. I might make this one, thanks for sharing.
I can't see the point in "wasting" carb allowance on meaningless/tasteless breakfast food when bacon exists...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the winter (not long now!) I have groats, which are whole-grain oats. I soak about 100 grams in a thermos of hot water overnight to pop them and mix them next morning with a few berries and anything else in the cupboard like chia and flax seeds plus cinnamon, butter, coconut oil, double cream and sweetener, all microwaved a bit. I'll find out this winter if it is still ok for me.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't see the point in "wasting" carb allowance on meaningless/tasteless breakfast food when bacon exists...
Fair enough if you enjoy a savoury breakfast, but I don't! This is why I'm trying to find an alternative to cereal.

I am very new to this way of eating and when I learn more I may/will realise that there isn't a good or suitable alternative to cereal.

If I have to eat plain yogurt with a little fruit, then I will do that, but I cannot physically tolerate bacon, eggs etc first thing!
This is why I've asked for constructive advice like many others have regarding cereal alternatives.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair enough if you enjoy a savoury breakfast, but I don't! This is why I'm trying to find an alternative to cereal.

I am very new to this way of eating and when I learn more I may/will realise that there isn't a good or suitable alternative to cereal.

If I have to eat plain yogurt with a little fruit, then I will do that, but I cannot physically tolerate bacon, eggs etc first thing!
This is why I've asked for constructive advice like many others have regarding cereal alternatives.

Sorry but you neither started the thread nor did I reply to you.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're quite right, you haven't!
I've simply quoted what you wrote and gave my opinion.....
I replied to this post that another member created and I mentioned Linzi's granola as an alternative.
This member, including myself, is amongst others who wish to find out if there are alternatives to eating cereal in general...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're quite right, you haven't!
I've simply quoted what you wrote and gave my opinion.....
I replied to this post that another member created and I mentioned Linzi's granola as an alternative.
This member, including myself, is amongst others who wish to find out if there are alternatives to eating cereal in general...

Fine but your reply was all about you...

"Fair enough if you enjoy a savoury breakfast, but I don't"
"I am very new to this way of eating and when I learn more I may"
"If I have to eat plain yogurt"

So it seemed that I had addressed you which I had not.

The Linzi's granola has 45g of carbohydrate per 100g therefore is very high carb, I try to not eat anything greater than 5g of carbohydrate per 100g if not fewer. I have seen you refer to sugar rather than carbs so fear you are looking at the wrong thing.
It may not sound like it but I am trying to be helpful. If you don't like what I say then fine I shall no longer engage.

Breakfast cereals are (almost) all very high carbs are therefore not good for someone with Type 2. If you self test then you could experiment and see what they do to you.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quirkybee I'm with you on this, i have been searching for a cereal type breakie for ages but all i have tried have badly affected me. You can try Lizi's, it's gorgeous, but it raised my BS really high too. I think making your own granola with one of the recipes online is worth a try, that's what I'm planning on doing.
The lowest carb shop bought one I've seen is Paleo Granola but its very expensive.
You could try a Lidl high protein roll or a slice of Burgen Soya & Linseed bread, they're lovely toasted and around 10g of carbs.
Let me know how you get on please.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Quirkybee, I omitted to mention the sugars content of Mornflake Toasted Oats, which is only 0.6G per 40G portion. I'm not overwhelmed with delight for my daily breakfast cereal, but as I said, it doesn't do much harm and it provides a good dose of fibre. I get it at Waitrose. I've not seen it sold elsewhere.