Medical Bracelets

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DaftThoughts . I have a medical necklace and I also have a medical tattoo. After a lot of research about tattoos I noticed that a lot of people created their own designs which is fine but are in no way informative or obvious to the medical profession. There is a recognised medical alert symbol.
It's called the Rod of Asclepius. Goggle it for the history of how it symbolises medicine, it's quite interesting.
It's a simple design, I have it on my left inner forearm with the text DiabeT1c underneath the main design.
If anyone from the medical profession fails to see or recognise it for what it is then all hope is gone.
P.S. I love it and what it says about me.

Yeah, the resources I've read state that more intricate designs can have the tattoo be overlooked due to a lack of simplicity. I opted against a tattoo after a friend (who is an EMT) told me they don't specifically look for tattoos because they're not regulated, and that a bracelet like mine has more success where I live. (I do have a non-medical-alert tattoo by the way, if I had more money I'd have a ton more. :) ) I'm still considering it for the future though, hopefully the trend will catch on more around here and I can justify the money of the ink knowing for certain it won't go to 'waste'. I'd really prefer the ink over a bracelet if I was certain it would be recognized more widely.

Where did you get it from please? I love paracord items as I'm a Girlguiding Leader. Thanks

I got it from Cobra Bands on Etsy! The one I purchased is this one and you can customize the colors and what you want the plate to say. It cost less than €13 for me including shipping to the Netherlands so I think it's very affordable.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DaftThoughts. There are pros and cons with everything. One point I would make regarding bracelets is their susceptibility to come off in certain circumstances.
At least we are making the effort to inform medical personnel, I guess we just hope if the situation arises we get one that's on the ball.

Reactions: 2 people

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DaftThoughts. There are pros and cons with everything. One point I would make regarding bracelets is their susceptibility to come off in certain circumstances.
At least we are making the effort to inform medical personnel, I guess we just hope if the situation arises we get one that's on the ball.

Absolutely true. We can only do our best according to our personal situations and make informed decisions. :) I love that so many people are so conscious about their conditions and putting their best foot forward to cover as many different potential scenarios as possible!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Makes sense! I considered those as well, but my skin is very sensitive and I felt like the silicone would make my skin sweat and get rashes.

I wonder if we have something like that in the NL. I don't leave my house without my wallet - ever - which has my health insurance card in it. As far as I know my records are available nation wide to all emergency care personnel, I've been hospitalized twice through ambulance and they were able to pull up my records once I was at the hospital no problem.

It's good to hear this is so common. :) I felt a little awkward because I don't know anyone around me in real life who has something like this, including the diabetics I know. I briefly considered it too much of an 'attention grabber' to my illness, literally wearing it on my sleeve, but nobody can tell what it says unless they inspect it up close deliberately. I feel considerably safer with one though.

Mine is a woven paracord bracelet with a strap buckle. Even through heavy exercise sweating I got no irritation on my skin, which gets two thumbs up from me. :D

I love how many kinds there are, too, so I'm definitely interested in seeing pictures!

MedicAlert have an emergency phone number on the bracelet and cover internationally too. So your records are available wherever you are and can be in 100 different languages. My health team recommended it when I was diagnosed as it was recognised by medical staff and had back up.

Here's the link for anyone that's interested:

https://www.medicalert.org.uk/new-to-medic-alert/new-to-medic-alert

I wear it all the time and have found it really robust. I don't even notice it :)

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got myself a wrist-style Medic ID. On the front is just my name and my condition (T1 Diabetic) but on the reverse is my NHS number, Date of Birth, two emergency contacts and that I am insulin dependent.

I figured that any first responder or paramedic would just need to know I'm T1 Diabetic. Any hospital bod could bash my NHS number into their computer terminal and get every piece of info about me required for treatment

Leather straps for the office; silicone straps for the pool.

bracelet1.jpg
bracelet2.jpg

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
me and bracelets do not get along I am for ever losing them ...I tried leather and again lost it...I keep wondering why some one would keep a medical bracelet when they find one which is of no use to them. I may invest in another some time but unsure why i keep lose them?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I find the Velcro Vital ID bracelet very secure doesn't come off unless I take it off.. I also have the ICE card ap on my phone.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
MedicAlert have an emergency phone number on the bracelet and cover internationally too. So your records are available wherever you are and can be in 100 different languages. My health team recommended it when I was diagnosed as it was recognised by medical staff and had back up.

Here's the link for anyone that's interested:

https://www.medicalert.org.uk/new-to-medic-alert/new-to-medic-alert

I wear it all the time and have found it really robust. I don't even notice it :)

That seems so useful! Unfortunately I have no credit card and Dutch debit cards don't work the same way as the kind you have, so this isn't an option for me even if it's really cheap. :( Maybe one day!

I have a few different ones in different colours depending on my mood

I'm considering getting one or two more for this reason. :)

me and bracelets do not get along I am for ever losing them ...I tried leather and again lost it...I keep wondering why some one would keep a medical bracelet when they find one which is of no use to them. I may invest in another some time but unsure why i keep lose them?

When do you lose them? Do you misplace them when you take them off, or do they slip off your wrist randomly?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I wear mine by my watch. It's never come off (but it does have a safety catch so that it would come off in an emergency eg if it got caught in a machine). I find the trick is getting the right size of chain (mine has a narrow steel link chain) Mine is loose enough so it's not under strain but not so loose it slides off, if you get what I mean.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been with MedicAlert since I was a teenager - I find huge peace of mind in my bracelet. I pay the annual subscription gladly and ensure I update my information with them regularly. A few years ago I was given the very thoughtful gift of the sterling silver version, and I never take it off.
When I got married I had various jewellery options for my wrist. In the end I didn't bother. But guess which bracelet stayed on for the occasion?

Reactions: 4 people

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they are a great idea. I am Type II and not on insulin. I think I would only get one if I was on insulin.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After some research I settled on this one - £29.95 from [email protected]
bracelet_zpsztwlbcyi.jpg

As you can see, the engraving isn't all that easy to read but I think it's obviously a medical alert so paramedics would take the time to read it. On the front is gives name, DoB and 'see other side'. On the reverse are the medical details and ICE phone number. I like the fact that my personal info isn't visible to passers-by.

limodriver1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate!

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate!

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?

Hello,

I have a gold/silver Medic Alert bracelet, it has my diabetes info as well as a couple of other medical issues I have..It looks like a nice piece of jewelry!! Recently I purchased a fitbit from Medic Alert, this helps me keep active while walking (the dogs) or doing any type of physical activity :) This also has my Medic Alert info on the band..Alot of good replies here! keep them coming! :)

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
yep I wear a medi-alert bracelet as it makes the OH worry less if I'm out and about. 1 thing I would say though is you are wearing your bracelet the wrong way around (sounds odd I know) But I had a nurse point out that if a paramedic was taking my pulse they would be in front of me and would be unable to read it. if its turned around they can see it instantly and read it when they move it to take your pulse.

Scolleen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a old school medical bracelet that I sport but I recently got tattoo....The tattoo doubles as an alert & a daily reminder that I AM greater than my highs and lows
49ddad5d9a0676cfe8c92dfac4d07218.jpg

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a old school medical bracelet that I sport but I recently got tattoo....The tattoo doubles as an alert & a daily reminder that I AM greater than my highs and lows
49ddad5d9a0676cfe8c92dfac4d07218.jpg

very creative and very beautiful...

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
Medicalert is recognised by first responders and medical staff in many countries, it is now 60years old. Unlike many of the commercial organisations that will supply a 'medical emblem' bracelet/necklace, MedicAlert is a charity.

All most of us [diabetics] require engraved on the emblem is the fact that the wearer is T1 or T2, as all appropriate data regarding other conditions, meds ,GP, family members etc are held by them and only provided to medical staff when requested by contacting the 24/7 emergency number and quoting the members number engraved on the emblem.

All I have engraved on my emblem is the fact that I am T2, my blood group and the fact that I am an organ donor.

I have been a member for some years now and fully recommend membership.

Attachments

• Emblems.jpg
    Emblems.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 475