Type 1: What Diet Works For You?

Pepsi Max

So I've tried slimming world, weight watchers & LCHF diets... Nothing seems to works I stay the same weight when doing these diets. When I don't strictly "diet" the weight slowly but surely creeps on... What can I do? What works for others...? I'm type 1 & on insulin pump.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb but have to count my calories also - I don't high fat as such but any fat I do eat is not "low fat" - I get my fats from unsaturated sources such as nuts good oils oily fish and avocado

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I've tried slimming world, weight watchers & LCHF diets... Nothing seems to works I stay the same weight when doing these diets. When I don't strictly "diet" the weight slowly but surely creeps on... What can I do? What works for others...? I'm type 1 & on insulin pump.

Have you had your thyroid checked? That's something to rule out.

I suggest planning out your food in advance, along with calculating your insulin boluses. Day after day that can help.

Before starting any diet, it's useful to keep notes about what you're eating now. Sometimes it's only when you see all the goods written down that you realise where you could make adjustments.

The other question to ask is whether you've done a basal check and are sure that and your ratios are ok.

Pepsi Max

Hi azure, yes I asked to have my thyroid check after being in slimming world 6 months & there was no change to my weight, despite sticking to it to the letter. The tests showed nothing significant but I was put on a low dose of thyroid medication. I'm still taking it. For the last 6 months I link in with my DSN every week. She Tweaks my basal & Bolus. I've had this struggle for the last 5 years. My concern is Im considered over weight by medical BMI charts by 15lbs and that's all I'm trying to shift... I don't want this to be 30lbs in a few months time ☹️

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can that effect weight?
Definitely. I was around 20kgs overweight prior to being diagnosed as Type 2. I'd been having calorie controlled meals delivered and trying to lose weight for about 4 months without success. As part of my diagnosis, they checked my Vitamin D and it was very low. Within a couple of weeks of supplementation, the weight started shifting. At that stage I didn't know about LCHF, so I lost most of my weight just using the typical low calorie type of plan.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi azure, yes I asked to have my thyroid check after being in slimming world 6 months & there was no change to my weight, despite sticking to it to the letter. The tests showed nothing significant but I was put on a low dose of thyroid medication. I'm still taking it. For the last 6 months I link in with my DSN every week. She Tweaks my basal & Bolus. I've had this struggle for the last 5 years. My concern is Im considered over weight by medical BMI charts by 15lbs and that's all I'm trying to shift... I don't want this to be 30lbs in a few months time ☹️

Have you asked your consultant whether you might have insulin resistance? Some Type 1s benefit from a small dose of Metformin. Just another thing to consider or rule out.

It's interesting that you are taking some thyroid meds. Are you receiving follow up tests about that or any kind of monitoring?

Edited to add - I seem to remember your ratios were a problem for you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very strict with both carb and calorie counting when I was losing weight. I initially weighed everything, used the Carbs & Cals book plus the internet to calculate what I was eating, and recorded everything meticulously. I stuck to 1200 calories and kept my carbs and fats within that level. Once my weight reached my target I increased the calories from fats and protein to maintain it. I stopped all the weighing and counting a long time ago, and in November will have maintained my weight for 2 years.
That worked for me, and now I am low carb high fat, but have no other medical issues and no meds.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
VLC, moderate protein and healthy fats to satisfy. Carbs need to stay under 20 and all from above ground salad veg. Low saturated fat ( that is the hardest fat to burn). I get my fats from avocado, Evoo, a few nuts and pumpkin seeds and salmon/tuna.
I too need to watch calories and eat small snacks and meals. I don't eat large quantities of protein, about 4-5 oz a day. I need to bolus for protein as I eat very few carbs and protein raises me just as fast. I too weighed and measured for a long time. I still weigh my protein as it does have a big effect.

No grains ever ( including low carb breads and rolls) and no dairy. Grains and dairy pack the pounds on me.

I eat basically the same meals everyday and I know my insulin dose 1/2 unit for all meals. Not many surprises in my meter.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you lose any weight on those diets or none at all? How long were you on those diets? When on those diets did you need to decrease your insulin or not at all?

It's generally much harder to lose weight for females than males for a variety of reasons. After 10-12 weeks into a diet you could even look into a re-feed. Also do you know how many calories you can eat, because again for females this is really low and very easy to overshoot.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started VLC about 25 years ago and dropped about 20#s in a few months. It is very sustainable for me. In fact if I up carbs, even veggies I get the hungries. I need to keep my fat protein and carbs constant. 80/15/5. This works very well for me. I do not need to lose weight and have maintained my 124 #s plus or minus 5 for 25 years.

When I first started insulin 2.5 years ago I was told to eat 20 carbs per meal and take a certain dose of insulin. Well I started packing on the pounds ( I needed to though) 20 # s in two months. Couldn't get bs steady at all with those carbs so went back to my less than 20 a DAY and dropped insulin WAY down and bs stays flat. I don't call it a diet per se, it's simply the way I eat. Small meals, VLC moderate protein and enough fat to satisfy. I would estimate about 1200 cals a day. I don't count carbs anymore as I eat the same veggies at each meal and know what they are now. I do still weigh protein as its too easy to over estimate and then I eat fat to satisfy. Basically the same everyday. It just works that way. If I don't eat it through the day I tend to eat it all at night. It's like my body requires it at some point before the day is over.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 you've said twice now that you eat fat to satisfy but fat has the lowest satiety value of the macro nutrients. Protein followed by carbs have the highest.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 you've said twice now that you eat fat to satisfy but fat has the lowest satiety value of the macro nutrients. Protein followed by carbs have the highest.
Opposite for me. Carbs are the devil for me , bs aside, they make me ravenous and always have. . Fat is my friend and I need it at all meals and snacks or I'm starving . You might find the carb tolerance test interesting. Do you know your blood type?

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Opposite for me. Carbs are the devil for me , bs aside, they make me ravenous and always have. . Fat is my friend and I need it at all meals and snacks or I'm starving . You might find the carb tolerance test interesting. Do you know your blood type?

I'm not advocating carbs here but merely stating that all research has shown fat to be the least "filling" nutrient there is. The usual hierarchy on the satiation scale is protein > carbs > fat. The effect of fiber is somewhat disputed but personally find it to induce the feeling of being full much faster. Especially if those fibers come from veggies. Eating 1200 calories from fat rich foods is easy and can be done by most in a single serving. I'm also not against fat as it's a necessary macro nutrient in any diet and even healthy when consuming the general healthy fats. You also stated that Saturated fat is the hardest to burn but you don't store fat in your body as saturated or unsaturated fat. How do you know that you feeling of being full comes from the fat and not the other nutrients or even fibers in your meals?

For most on this forum carbs would be the devil though they still have their purpose.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pretty much same as Kristin251.
Except fat is now out as well!
Avocado, skinned cucumber, courgette. Occasional 100g of butternut squash, 100g organic yogurt if I can but this adds in carbs but for me at least it has no fibre.

My concern is that you appear to not have had your thyroid checked since going on meds. That is so wrong!! You should have had it checked about 8-9 weeks after meds to make sure it was working

You not said whether its hypo or hyper thyroid. I think we've all assumed that your thyroid is under active....my hubby is under active and until they get it right he is on 9 weekly blood tests. You should be too.

Concerned also that you're under control of others for altering basal/bolus rates still. Is there a reason why its still under the nurse for adjusting? If you are having any hypo's.. This will just be adding more calories in sorting them out.... Nurses too will be wanting to ensure you are eating your carbs....

For me its always been lower carb. Only higher fat such as cream for about 6 months. Now just meditereanean oil from avocado etc...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know fat is the satiating macro because if I eat a meal of veggies and protein without fat, or even with some olive oil I am ravenous. Now add a good amount of mayo or avocado chunks and I'm good. Evoo is like water. Not satisfying. Avocado is like gold. Of course there is fiber in avocado so that does help. I cannot eat protein or veggies alone without being hungry.

I don't gob fat by any means. I eat about 1200 cals a DAY. don't think I could do it in one meal. I eat small meals as well because large make me hungrier.
BF is either a piece of deli turkey on a piece of lettuce with mustard and mayo and a thin slice of avocado or Half an avocado. I eat that at 8 ish and I don't eat lunch until 3 but I do have a few nuts or veggies with mayo based dip around noon

Lunch 3 pm, dinner 6 pm are 2 oz protein either on a lettuce wrap or chopped salad. Always in the meal is avocado chunks celery radish scallions and red onion. Dressed in Evoo if a salad or mayo if a wrap.
Around 5 I have a fat snack and a bite of some protein. Also a cocktail so the fat snack with a bite of protein stops me from dropping. A few nuts for dessert after each meal.
Before bed another bite of protein like half an egg with mayo so I can sleep.

My own bodies research indicates a fuel with fat. I don't have body fat so I need dietary fat to fuel me. Avocado gives me steady constant energy as well great bs. It seems to bridge the gap from insulin getting there too soon or food getting there to soon. I rarely have an up or down other than randomly after BF. Still can't figure that one out but the meals I spoke of give me the best bs MOST of the time. I also convert protein to bs very quickly so I need fat to slow it down.

We are all unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know fat is the satiating macro because if I eat a meal of veggies and protein without fat, or even with some olive oil I am ravenous. Now add a good amount of mayo or avocado chunks and I'm good. Evoo is like water. Not satisfying. Avocado is like gold. Of course there is fiber in avocado so that does help. I cannot eat protein or veggies alone without being hungry.

I don't gob fat by any means. I eat about 1200 cals a DAY. don't think I could do it in one meal. I eat small meals as well because large make me hungrier.
BF is either a piece of deli turkey on a piece of lettuce with mustard and mayo and a thin slice of avocado or Half an avocado. I eat that at 8 ish and I don't eat lunch until 3 but I do have a few nuts or veggies with mayo based dip around noon

Lunch 3 pm, dinner 6 pm are 2 oz protein either on a lettuce wrap or chopped salad. Always in the meal is avocado chunks celery radish scallions and red onion. Dressed in Evoo if a salad or mayo if a wrap.
Around 5 I have a fat snack and a bite of some protein. Also a cocktail so the fat snack with a bite of protein stops me from dropping. A few nuts for dessert after each meal.
Before bed another bite of protein like half an egg with mayo so I can sleep.

My own bodies research indicates a fuel with fat. I don't have body fat so I need dietary fat to fuel me. Avocado gives me steady constant energy as well great bs. It seems to bridge the gap from insulin getting there too soon or food getting there to soon. I rarely have an up or down other than randomly after BF. Still can't figure that one out but the meals I spoke of give me the best bs MOST of the time. I also convert protein to bs very quickly so I need fat to slow it down.

We are all unique.

You do have body fat or you would be dead and that would be an amazing achievement since you're still posting on a forum. Off course fat is a fuel as it is for everybody but it's by far not the only fuel resource in your body. Furthermore you would be one of the few, and i mean very very very very .... few that feels satiated fast by fat. Which if it was the case it's rare enough not to generally say that fat is satiating and thus not use it as advice. And what do you consider protein? It's not like you open a jar and sprinkle a certain weight of protein on a lettuce wrap. I'm not saying your methods are wrong but the reasoning behind it is faulty. Your 1200 calories a day are great for losing weight buy mayo i consider bulking food since it's around 700 calls.

We are unique but the majority falls in the general category when it comes to a lot of physical traits.