Insulin Index - Does Anyone Who Is Lchf And Fasting Use It?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

I mentioned something similar on the fasting forum, but not sure many people look at that. I have been LCHF for 7 months, good results. Have started intermittent fasting, trying to increase time to 24 hours or more.

The internet has a few references to the "Insulin Index" - seems to be underresearched, but basically some people have measured how individual foods affect insulin. Some proteins, such as fish, beef, eggs and cheese, increase insulin much more than you would expect. Pure fat has very little effect on insulin, and most nuts have a negligible effect.

As the whole point of intermittent fasting is to keep insulin low, so hopefully eventually insulin resistance improves, has anyone on the forum allowed themselves a little bit of low insulin index foods whilst fasting, such as occasional peanut butter? For me, just having that taste of something in my mouth might help me extend the fast. Jason Fung allows a bit of cream, as we know this does not raise insulin much.

Any thoughts/shared experiences would be most welcome.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found the insulin index to be fairly accurate with the exception of peanuts, sorry.
I have to bolus insulin for protein as it does turn to glucose rather quickly for me. I also find the ranking of proteins to be accurate. Eggs the least, then poultry, then beef then fish. Tuna and salmon can raise me slightly more than beef or lamb. Poultry and and eggs keep me lower. I think dairy is high too. I don't eat it for a number of reasons but one is that it raises my bs and makes me insulin resistant.

If I needed a snack while fasting I would drink a tablespoon of oil or eat a pat of butter. The oil would be kind of gross but I would look forward to Kerry gold butter!

There is very little research on the insulin index but what they have researched seems to be accurate. I eat the same meals everyday as far as veggies and fat so I just switch up protein so I can see the difference

Funny thing is I can eat baby shrimp with no spike but every time I eat large shrimp I get a large spike. Doesn't make sense but it has happened over and over

Reactions: 2 people