Insulin Pump Options

Abilee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi
I've been offered the option of going on a pump and have been given a list of the ones I could choose from, if anyone has these pumps I'd like to hear your experiences good or bad please

Wired options:
Medtronic 640g
Animas vibe
Accu check insight

Wireless:
Cell novo
Omnipod

Last edited by a moderator:

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Very nice to have a choice very nice.

I've only just started on the pump and was given the Medtronic 640G. The BG meter transmits your results to the pump.

I love my pump, its very easy to navigate around but if it came with a handset like the Accu-Chek Insight i would love it even more.

My advice would be to download the user manuals for each pump to help you decide what you think may be best for you.

Love your pump

Martin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes must have auto corrected fixed now

Thought it was a typo :)

I'm a Omnipod user, I opted for it over others as it was a tubeless pump and I quite liked it as it has an integrated bg meter.

So far I've had very few issues and the ones I did have were at the start, possibly this was down to inexperience as the Omnipod was my first pump.

Overall the positives far outweigh the negatives, if you want you can ring Ypsomed and they'll post a pod out for you to try.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Animas Vibe and love it :)

It's robust, intuitive to use, waterproof, and has a good range of sets to choose from (very important) and they're Luer lock sets too, so fairly universal fit rather than brand specific. I also like the choice of colours :)

I also like the fact it supports Dexcom CGM :)

Have a look on YouTube for people using the pumps and see which one would suit you.

Abilee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Noblehead I was leaning towards that one as its tubeless does the device have the canula attached to the device then or is there a small tube, what sort of issues? It will be my first pump I have been on injections for 16 years so will be a change.

Abilee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@azure have you travelled abroad with it, as I've heard a lot of stories about it setting of alarms and security not liking it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure have you travelled abroad with it, as I've heard a lot of stories about it setting of alarms and security not liking it

Yep, I've travelled abroad a lot :) I've never had any problem at security at all. I take my Doctor letter, show it and get the pat down search. If you look around this Pump section, you'll see a number of threads about air travel.

If you're unlucky enough to get an unhelpful security person, they're just as likely to be fussy about any pump - or your sharps, or your meter, or your insulin or back up insulin pens, etc etc! But most security people are fine, so this shouldn't be a problem at all :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have the Animas Vibe and it does me just fine :)
Be very wary of the insight pump though, the negatives far out weigh the positives.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead I was leaning towards that one as its tubeless does the device have the canula attached to the device then or is there a small tube, what sort of issues? It will be my first pump I have been on injections for 16 years so will be a change.

Hi @Abilee

The pod has a automated cannula insertion, after you've filled the insulin reservoir and applied the pod to the skin you just press start on the PDM and the cannula is inserted, it's about 6mm in length from memory, you don't actually see the cannula until you remove the pod.

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on the insight for nearly a year now and get on with it just fine. It was my first pump so I have no comparison but it is easy to use, the handset is good and I find it easy to wear the pump somewhere. My only real issue with it is the random electronic errors it has, which mean you just have to pull the battery out the handset and restart. It can be irritating but at the moment I'm still happy with it a year in. ☺

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As a totally different perspective, I use the Medtronic 640g and think it's great. The main reason for this is the smartguard functionality where the insulin is suspended before you go low. From a commercial product, this is amazing. It keeps my hypo time to around 2%, which ia hugely beneficial and helps maintain hypo awareness.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My nurses think people are so grateful to receive any pump it doesn't matter that they only offer one!!

Well done you on getting a choice!!

It depends on your lifestyle to be honest from my point of view..

I wanted a pump with a fully opsrational, transmitting blood testing machine as I dislike intensely having to be noticeable when eating.

I also do quite a lot of didty jobs and also stuck to the bathroom and toilets for my stomach so didn't want faffing around.

I wanted my pump wearable with a long tube (or tubeless) to wear on my arm and out of sight and not worrying about it.

Your lifestyle ie sports, sleep, work is important factors...the fact we are grateful to have a pump shouldn't limit us on choice so it is great you have a choice.. The rest is what you specifically need...

Reactions: 4 people