Type 1: What Diet Works For You?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some people with other conditions though never feel hunger or are full upon eating anything!! I am I suppose lucky compared to ofhers!! Lol!

Oh to feel hunger would be so nice for me!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You do have body fat or you would be dead and that would be an amazing achievement since you're still posting on a forum. Off course fat is a fuel as it is for everybody but it's by far not the only fuel resource in your body. Furthermore you would be one of the few, and i mean very very very very .... few that feels satiated fast by fat. Which if it was the case it's rare enough not to generally say that fat is satiating and thus not use it as advice. And what do you consider protein? It's not like you open a jar and sprinkle a certain weight of protein on a lettuce wrap. I'm not saying your methods are wrong but the reasoning behind it is faulty. Your 1200 calories a day are great for losing weight buy mayo i consider bulking food since it's around 700 calls.

We are unique but the majority falls in the general category when it comes to a lot of physical traits.

Lol. Ridiculous. Why are you picking everything I say apart? I know that I have body fat but can't afford to lose any. I don't sprinkle any protein. I consider protein fish, lamb, beef poultry, eggs etc. There are other forms of protein of course such as powders but I like to chew my protein. I weight the actual hunk of protein.
700 cals of mayo? That's about 7 tablespoons, I eat about 1.

If you look around this forum there are MANY people doing low carb high fat. They have replaced their carb calories with fat calories. Pretty sure they wouldn't be doing thatif they were hungry all the time.
Further more, carbs are a quick spike and that is not satisfying. Fat is a slow burn. most people who have replaced carbs with fat have much flatter bs numbers. That's my goal and carbs don't do it for me.
Also carbs trigger insulin and leptin which are both hunger hormones as well as fat storing hormones . I have studied diabetes for many years and my body for 52 years. I'm pretty sure I know what works for me.
I don't want to debate this. Eat your protein and carbs and I'll eat fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. Ridiculous. Why are you picking everything I say apart? I know that I have body fat but can't afford to lose any. I don't sprinkle any protein. I consider protein fish, lamb, beef poultry, eggs etc. There are other forms of protein of course such as powders but I like to chew my protein. I weight the actual hunk of protein.
700 cals of mayo? That's about 7 tablespoons, I eat about 1.

If you look around this forum there are MANY people doing low carb high fat. They have replaced their carb calories with fat calories. Pretty sure they wouldn't be doing thatif they were hungry all the time.
Further more, carbs are a quick spike and that is not satisfying. Fat is a slow burn. most people who have replaced carbs with fat have much flatter bs numbers. That's my goal and carbs don't do it for me.
Also carbs trigger insulin and leptin which are both hunger hormones as well as fat storing hormones . I have studied diabetes for many years and my body for 52 years. I'm pretty sure I know what works for me.
I don't want to debate this. Eat your protein and carbs and I'll eat fat.

Again not saying LCHF is bad or that fat is bad and not even saying that I eat lots of carbs i am just saying that ALL the research that i have ever come across says that fat is not a high satiety nutrient. And indeed i should clarify mayo is about 700 calls/100g.

The reason why i'm nit picking is because you say stuff like:

Also carbs trigger insulin and leptin which are both hunger hormones as well as fat storing hormones

While in fact:

Leptin, the "satiety hormone", is a hormone made by adipose cells that helps to regulate energy balance by inhibiting hunger. Leptin is opposed by the actions of the hormone ghrelin, the "hunger hormone"

Having a proper functioning leptin system will help in losing weight, not inhibit it. Since this is a forum where people go to learn i don't find it wrong to point out small faults otherwise people wont learn. When i make a mistake please do point me at it since i want to learn. I'm glad that you've found something that works and your approach will definitely work for others as well. But as mentioned before there were just some faults in your reasoning which really is quite ok. To make myself even more clear i would also suggest staying away from carbs since they'll require insulin which is indeed fat making and can even block the leptin signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I learned of leptin from the Rosedale diet and how we can become leptin resistant as well as insulin resistant. Following Rosedale type diet and eating VLC moderate protein and healthy fats were key to my life long issue of ravenous hunger, bloating, fatigue and high bs. One of the best books I have. However it works, it works for me. We all need to find our own macros and things that satisfy. Mine is 80 fat 15 animal / fish protein and 5 carbs. .

That's all I know. Well not really but....I know what works for me. I have learned hugely through other people's e periences so ways good to share. I know you don't eat high carb but even beyond bs I don't digest them at all. It is amazing to me how much even lettuce raises me. I have to eat food so fat it is.....

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@qe5rt - I think in your reasoning you're omitting the fact that people who are keto/fat adapted have access to their body fat stores for energy whereas burning fat is more difficult for people who are carb/sugar burners. It is a common experience for people on LCHF to refer to the satiating effects of the diet and the lack of hunger and I don't think we're all delusional or kidding ourselves about the effect the diet has on us - our bodies are in essence "self-feeding" from our own fat stores.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Same me, Kristin251... And then on top a lettuce leaf comes out as it sent in!! So not only a carb counter but a bum blocker too!!-lol:).

I used to weigh even lettuce, onions etc. Nowadays the only salad I can eat is avocado and skinned cucumber. I still weigh and carb count the skinned cucumber and the 15g of fera cheese!

We all have to find our own way in this world. We are all individuals. I actually loathe the fact my food is so limited but this posting makes me pretty grateful I am!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same me, Kristin251... And then on top a lettuce leaf comes out as it sent in!! So not only a carb counter but a bum blocker too!!-lol:).

I used to weigh even lettuce, onions etc. Nowadays the only salad I can eat is avocado and skinned cucumber. I still weigh and carb count the skinned cucumber and the 15g of fera cheese!

We all have to find our own way in this world. We are all individuals. I actually loathe the fact my food is so limited but this posting makes me pretty grateful I am!!!
I have to skin and deseed cucumber. The only seeds I toe rate is roasted pumpkin seeds in small amounts. Boston lettuce is fine but romaine needs to be portion controlled. It surprises me that I do so well with avocado. The only real fiber i tolerate.

You are not alone with limited food choices. It's either diabetes, stomach issues or food I tolerances. I just stick with what works now, eat to live, not live to eat and keep it simple. Otherwise I would be in tears lol day every day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@qe5rt - I think in your reasoning you're omitting the fact that people who are keto/fat adapted have access to their body fat stores for energy whereas burning fat is more difficult for people who are carb/sugar burners. It is a common experience for people on LCHF to refer to the satiating effects of the diet and the lack of hunger and I don't think we're all delusional or kidding ourselves about the effect the diet has on us - our bodies are in essence "self-feeding" from our own fat stores.
Thank you Lindy. Well put...I am completely keto / fat adapted. Only diet for me.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know that in a ketogenic diet people generally feel less appetite but don't know if that would increase (or decrease) the satiating effect of any individual nutrient. Since leptin levels stay the same and as far as i've read ghrelin levels stay fixed too on a ketogenic diet the overall feeling of being full will be there but i'm far from convinced that you'll increase the satiating effect of the nutrient with the lowest index.

Let's say you have a 500 callorie meal. Not taking into account the monotonous nature of the following meal which one do you think you're going to feel full from the fastest: 125 grams of cheddar cheese, 450 grams of raw skinless chicken breast or 375 grams of white rice. Granted that not many of us will have eating that much rice recently but as an example i think you get the idea. 125 grams of cheese is about 3-4 bites for me. 450 grams of chicken is nearly half a kg. and about the amount someone like Hafthor Bjornsson (aka the mountain) would eat in a single serving along with other things. Cheese also contains a good deal of protein so might not be the best example but other examples would be worse since it's just oil or butter. Avocados would be around 325 grams to reach 500 calories. Lettuce would be a bit more than 3kg so you'll never overeat on lettuce i would think :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that in a ketogenic diet people generally feel less appetite but don't know if that would increase (or decrease) the satiating effect of any individual nutrient. Since leptin levels stay the same and as far as i've read ghrelin levels stay fixed too on a ketogenic diet the overall feeling of being full will be there but i'm far from convinced that you'll increase the satiating effect of the nutrient with the lowest index.

Let's say you have a 500 callorie meal. Not taking into account the monotonous nature of the following meal which one do you think you're going to feel full from the fastest: 125 grams of cheddar cheese, 450 grams of raw skinless chicken breast or 375 grams of white rice. Granted that not many of us will have eating that much rice recently but as an example i think you get the idea. 125 grams of cheese is about 3-4 bites for me. 450 grams of chicken is nearly half a kg. and about the amount someone like Hafthor Bjornsson (aka the mountain) would eat in a single serving along with other things. Cheese also contains a good deal of protein so might not be the best example but other examples would be worse since it's just oil or butter. Avocados would be around 325 grams to reach 500 calories. Lettuce would be a bit more than 3kg so you'll never overeat on lettuce i would think :D
Hands down the chicken and cheese though I don't eat raw chicken and I would never be able to eat that much. The rice would make me ravenous all day. I don't eat a lot of any food. Just enough to keep the system running on all cylinders.
I eat 56 g avocado for BF. 56 g some animal/ fish protein for lunch and dinner with about 56 g veggies and 28 g avocado. A few nuts and pumpkin seeds in between. Launch and dinner have 1-2 tablespoons Evoo or mayo. About 1200 cals a day.

To my knowledge the fact that a keto diet DOES keep leptin, insulin and grhelin steady is why keto adapted people don't get hungry. Now throw in some rice or other carbs and it would off set that steady state and we would get hungry. Keeping bs flat keeps my hunger at bay as well as leptin and grhelin. That's why keto works for people to lose widget, maintain better bs and stop hunger. Keeping those three hormones flat is the key. You can't do that with carbs is the whole point. Just my opinion but it works for me as well as many others who are keto adapted. We can't be keto adapted by eating rice.

Pepsi Max

Have you asked your consultant whether you might have insulin resistance? Some Type 1s benefit from a small dose of Metformin. Just another thing to consider or rule out.

It's interesting that you are taking some thyroid meds. Are you receiving follow up tests about that or any kind of monitoring?

Edited to add - I seem to remember your ratios were a problem for you?

No I never thought of that... My bloods are taken by the nurse every 4 weeks including thyroid.
The problem I had with my ratios is solved now. It was an inputting calculation

Pepsi Max

Did you lose any weight on those diets or none at all? How long were you on those diets? When on those diets did you need to decrease your insulin or not at all?

It's generally much harder to lose weight for females than males for a variety of reasons. After 10-12 weeks into a diet you could even look into a re-feed. Also do you know how many calories you can eat, because again for females this is really low and very easy to overshoot.

I was on WW & SW for approx 6 months each... And about 2 years apart. I tried LCHF for approx 1 month, found it hard to maintain... As I say bi didn't lose any weight on these, I stayed the same

Pepsi Max

Pretty much same as Kristin251.
Except fat is now out as well!
Avocado, skinned cucumber, courgette. Occasional 100g of butternut squash, 100g organic yogurt if I can but this adds in carbs but for me at least it has no fibre.

My concern is that you appear to not have had your thyroid checked since going on meds. That is so wrong!! You should have had it checked about 8-9 weeks after meds to make sure it was working

You not said whether its hypo or hyper thyroid. I think we've all assumed that your thyroid is under active....my hubby is under active and until they get it right he is on 9 weekly blood tests. You should be too.

Concerned also that you're under control of others for altering basal/bolus rates still. Is there a reason why its still under the nurse for adjusting? If you are having any hypo's.. This will just be adding more calories in sorting them out.... Nurses too will be wanting to ensure you are eating your carbs....

For me its always been lower carb. Only higher fat such as cream for about 6 months. Now just meditereanean oil from avocado etc...

My thyroid is borderline hypo... I pushed for the tests about 2 years ago because I was doing SW and losing nothing. My medication has stayed the same. I get blood tests regularly, about every 4 weeks, my basal /Bolus rates are under review because I am pre-pregnancy clinic. I would like to shift some of this weight before I gain a whole lot of weight, if you get me. I don't want to talk to my nurse or dietitians about it because they will push carbs etc etc thanks for all your advice so far... I started taking vit D too & will ask for this to be checked at my next appointment...

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on WW & SW for approx 6 months each... And about 2 years apart. I tried LCHF for approx 1 month, found it hard to maintain... As I say bi didn't lose any weight on these, I stayed the same

I would think that if you were on a calorie deficit throughout those 6 months you should have lost something, if that was the case it stands to reason that something else is going on. When i'm cutting the first indicator that i'm succeeding even before losing a noticeable amount of weight is needing less insulin. Right now i'm bulking and i require more than double the amount as when cutting.

So if you're positive that you've had the required amount of calories to be in a deficit for and extended period of time and didn't lose any weight it's definitely worth mentioning to your dietician or doctor. Otherwise look into the general pitfalls when it comes to losing weight (not sleeping enough, alcohol, eating too little right off the bat, not drinking enough water, ...). Other things to do is exercise along side dieting, lifting weights could keep your metabolism going but be aware that gaining muscle will cause a weight increase so my advice as always is to use a measuring lint to keep track in the beginning (measuring upper arms, belly, upper legs and as a woman maybe even the hips). You could be losing fat around those parts but gaining muscle and the scale would say you've increased your weight while in fact you're on the right track.

Last edited: