victoza

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone, long time no post!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys were prescribed victoza whilst taking meds for gastric reflux?

I'm still taking 2g of metformin and 320mgs gliclazide daily, but my bg is still way too high so the victoza has been added today. Reading through the leaflet, I saw that reflux can be a side effect.

Would really be grateful for some advice.

Thanks

Ness

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am on victoza, been taking it for 10 months now.
I get very bad indigestion and take a med for this but I had this problem before taking victoza

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am on victoza, been taking it for 10 months now.
I get very bad indigestion and take a med for this but I had this problem before taking victoza

Thanks for getting back to me ally1, yeah mine is a long standing problem, a hernia to be precise. I'm just wondering if the omeprazole I take will be enough to squash that particular side effect.

Ness x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for getting back to me ally1, yeah mine is a long standing problem, a hernia to be precise. I'm just wondering if the omeprazole I take will be enough to squash that particular side effect.

Ness x

You may not experience the side effect. I usually work on the assumption I'll be fine, until I'm not, rather than assume the worst.

My OH has a long-standing hiatus hernia, but interestingly he has commented he is far less troubled by the reflux when he is also eating a trimmed back carb diet. He has always, in my time of knowing him anyway, kept his weight very trim as gaining any weight has a significant impact on his reflux. Have you noticed either of those things?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

Ness x
If it doesn,t work then see your gp again

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks for the suggestions/ advice. I will go back to the doc if things get out of hand, I'm due to ring them in a couple of weeks with a progress report, so that should give the victoza time to establish itself.

You're quite right AndBreathe, weight is definitely a factor in controlling the symptoms of reflux. I do find it difficult to keep my weight down, particularly because I have a pituitary tumor, which plays havoc with my metabolism. So far it has depleted me of thyroxine and growth hormone and, according to my doc, is largely responsible for my diabetes. I'm fighting a bit of an uphill battle, but I do try.

Thanks again,

Ness