My 2nd HbA1c results email

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Hello Liam , I have discussed your blood test results today with Dr .......... and he is pleased but slightly puzzled at the dramatic improvement in your HbA1c at 52mmol/mol with being off medication and he has suggested that in 3 months we recheck your HbA1c but also do a repeat FASTING glucose . He thinks it would be worth rechecking as some people have impaired glucose tolerance rather than diabetes. I hope this all makes sense. Continue as you are doing with your healthy eating plan as it is working well"

An email I got this morning.. When I was diagnosed in April I was 84mmol so I'm happy with my progress on a lchf regime.

I'm interested to see what the impaired glucose tolerance is all about. I thought that was my diabetes...

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is just that they don't get to see people who turn things round so brilliantly. So they don't understand how you have done it. I bet they are trying to justify saying that you weren't ever a diabetic at all...

lol.

Congratulations! I bet you have put in a lot of hard work and effort, which the surgery won't have a clue about. so WELL DONE!!!

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a fantastic result! Well done Liam. I think B's spot on there. They don't expect patients to claim they'll change diet and lifestyle and actually do it! I don't think some of the medical profession like being shown that medication isn't always the answer either!

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys.. After reading a little on imoared glucose tolerance I can deduce its hand in hand with pre diabetes. I guess I'll just need to jump through the hoops and hopefully in 3 months show even more improvements...

Thanks again

Reactions: maureen5752

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@Li4m79
Many congratulations on brilliant results. My 'path' is not dissimilar to yours. I was 97 on being 'labelled' at the end of April which reduced to 42 3 months later on no meds .... but I've had no conversation about glucose tolerance etc .. just 'keep up the good work see you in 3 months'!

I'm not a 'tester' at all, and don't feel the need to do so - I think I've done alright so far, however I have thought about getting some 'kit' (and a bottle of Lucazade!!) just to try a fasting OGT and see what happens .... though not sure what exactly this would prove / disprove??

Equally I understand that my 'condition' is a combination of impaired insulin production, and insulin resistance, but now having lost the weight I needed would be interested to know how much of my 'problem' is associated with each. I guess I want to try to understand just how 'damaged' my poor old Pancreas is!

Well done again!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys.. After reading a little on imoared glucose tolerance I can deduce its hand in hand with pre diabetes. I guess I'll just need to jump through the hoops and hopefully in 3 months show even more improvements...

Thanks again

Really very well done, Liam. Won't it feel just dandy when you update your profile signature to something so positive?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done indeed.. very impressive result and yes I'm sure you do even better next time as well. Just keep up the great work.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Li4m79 good work keep it going and life will only get better.

Equally I understand that my 'condition' is a combination of impaired insulin production, and insulin resistance, but now having lost the weight I needed would be interested to know how much of my 'problem' is associated with each. I guess I want to try to understand just how 'damaged' my poor old Pancreas is!
You are missing one other part of the puzzle in your statement. The pancreas also produces a hormone that stops the gut releasing glucose into the blood stream until you are ready for more. This for me never worked on diagnosis as I would eat and bang almost instantly sky high but now I can eat all sorts and I get a slow rise and it trickles along and then comes down. "trickles" along varies depending on many factors.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Brilliant result, keep doing what you are doing and three months should see them scratching their heads again.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, hopefully it reduces further in 3 months time. That will reallyake them scratch their heads.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@Li4m79 good work keep it going and life will only get better.

You are missing one other part of the puzzle in your statement. The pancreas also produces a hormone that stops the gut releasing glucose into the blood stream until you are ready for more. This for me never worked on diagnosis as I would eat and bang almost instantly sky high but now I can eat all sorts and I get a slow rise and it trickles along and then comes down. "trickles" along varies depending on many factors.
@andcol .... everyday is a school day in here! ....... I didn't know that. So are you saying that this bit is now 'fixed' and that this hormone is now doing its work?

Thx

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Li4m79

Well done again!

I am wondering if you have had a c-peptide or fasting insulin test? The truth is that most type 2 diabetics overproduce insulin for a very long time both because of and contributing to insulin resistance. It is when the high levels of insulin become toxic to the beta cells and the strain on the pancreas from overproducing hit critical mass that the b-cells die and a type 2 does not produce enough.
You might be interested in watching the videos that indy has been posting by Tim Noakes if you have not seen them.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I am wondering if you have had a c-peptide or fasting insulin test? The truth is that most type 2 diabetics overproduce insulin for a very long time both because of and contributing to insulin resistance. It is when the high levels of insulin become toxic to the beta cells and the strain on the pancreas from overproducing hit critical mass that the b-cells die and a type 2 does not produce enough.
You might be interested in watching the videos that indy has been posting by Tim Noakes if you have not seen them.
@chalup as far as I know, whilst I have been tested and poked like I never have before since beginning this 'journey' the only tests like that I've had are the hba1c tests .... Which all (fingers crossed) are looking pretty good. I don't think I've had either a fasting insulin test or c-peptide .... what exactly do these 'show' and how do I go about getting them? - is this a conversation I need to have with my HCPs ??
Thx

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A c-peptide or a fasting insulin test show how much insulin you are producing. They are both fasting tests ideally. You might be surprised just how much insulin you are producing. Mine turned out to be twice the highest normal value which also indicates very high insulin resistance as my glucose was 8.3 at the time. This is a test your doctor has to order and I do not know if they will order it but you could certainly ask. Usually it is c-peptide that is done but it is expensive. I am in Canada so our health care system is a bit different. Again I highly recommend those videos as they explain it all in plain english.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hmmmmm
Can't see the good old NHS coughing up for that one if it isn't necessary then!
...... still no harm in asking!

Thanks for the reply.