Ketosis and soy milk

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently on day 5 of a 7 day fast and have managed to get into "proper" ketosis.
I have been measuring my ketones during my last few fasts but never got above 1.6 mmol/l and that was on the last day.
I couldn't figure out the reason for this so asked the "2ketodudes" Facebook group if they knew.
When I explained that I was drinking a lot of tea with soya milk they flagged that the soya milk could be casing the problem.
So for this fast I ditched the soya milk and have been using either lactofree full fat milk (less carbs than ordinary milk) or double cream thinned with a bit of water in my teas and coffees. I have also started taking a tablespoon or two of coconut oil mixed in with the coffee as well as the cream (kind of bullet proof coffee)
Day 1 I measured "lo" ketones on my meter (last time I had the soya milk was that morning)
Day 2 0.4
Day 3 1.9
Day 4 2.5
Today 3.5
Looks like the soya might have been the problem so it has now gone down the sink!
So far have lost 7 pounds as well so have got myself out of the plateau on weight loss too.. phew I knew it would be worth it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can't do a "like" but looking good if you have found the cause for you and come out of that plateau...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oo yes they have done a runner again.. the emoticons I mean..

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is the problem with soya milk? The stuff I use is virtually zero carbs. I have seen a few negative articles regarding soya. However I think Japan represents an excellent case study on the benfits

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are differences between how we process soy in the West as opposed to how it is done in Japan where is is usually fermented. There are also issues for males in that there are suggestions soy is oestrogenic. Also that eating in large quantities can impact thyroid health.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the problem with soya milk? The stuff I use is virtually zero carbs. I have seen a few negative articles regarding soya. However I think Japan represents an excellent case study on the benfits
That was what I was using too... the Alpro unsweetened.. I have no idea why it slowed ketosis but once it was out of my tea my ketones levels went up quickly. I am only reporting my unscientific findings but needless to say I won't be going back to it!

Reactions: ickihun

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm currently on day 5 of a 7 day fast and have managed to get into "proper" ketosis.
I have been measuring my ketones during my last few fasts but never got above 1.6 mmol/l and that was on the last day.
I couldn't figure out the reason for this so asked the "2ketodudes" Facebook group if they knew.
When I explained that I was drinking a lot of tea with soya milk they flagged that the soya milk could be casing the problem.
So for this fast I ditched the soya milk and have been using either lactofree full fat milk (less carbs than ordinary milk) or double cream thinned with a bit of water in my teas and coffees. I have also started taking a tablespoon or two of coconut oil mixed in with the coffee as well as the cream (kind of bullet proof coffee)
Day 1 I measured "lo" ketones on my meter (last time I had the soya milk was that morning)
Day 2 0.4
Day 3 1.9
Day 4 2.5
Today 3.5
Looks like the soya might have been the problem so it has now gone down the sink!
So far have lost 7 pounds as well so have got myself out of the plateau on weight loss too.. phew I knew it would be worth it.

Congratulations! Way to go.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 0.4
Day 3 1.9
Day 4 2.5
Today 3.5

You continue to inspire me - well done! And 7 pounds weigh loss sounds like a good thing. Keep going :) Not sure about the bullet proof coffee, does it taste nice? I'm using Almond Milk in my morning nespresso. Not sure I really like it though, add a dash of cream sometimes - but trying hard to get back into the 5's FBG .....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You continue to inspire me - well done! And 7 pounds weigh loss sounds like a good thing. Keep going :) Not sure about the bullet proof coffee, does it taste nice? I'm using Almond Milk in my morning nespresso. Not sure I really like it though, add a dash of cream sometimes - but trying hard to get back into the 5's FBG .....
The coconut oil gives a very slight coconut taste.. but you must mix it in well. You can just eat it straight from the jar. I now have a three shot (one lungo 2 espresso shots) with double cream and water mix 50:50 (well 65:35 cream to water) mix. Add into that two tablespoons of coconut oil. I tried to put the coconut oil into the aerocinno but it knocked the wizzer off its perch so now I mix t into the coffee shots. Also a great way to tell the temperature as the oil is solid at under 22 degrees and liquid if over that. Waitrose sell it in a small jar if you want to give it a go.. under the cooks ingredients section.
Ended up 8 pounds lighter and really looking forward to a curry takeout tonight!.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The coconut oil gives a very slight coconut taste.. but you must mix it in well. You can just eat it straight from the jar. I now have a three shot (one lungo 2 espresso shots) with double cream and water mix 50:50 (well 65:35 cream to water) mix. Add into that two tablespoons of coconut oil. I tried to put the coconut oil into the aerocinno but it knocked the wizzer off its perch so now I mix t into the coffee shots. Also a great way to tell the temperature as the oil is solid at under 22 degrees and liquid if over that. Waitrose sell it in a small jar if you want to give it a go.. under the cooks ingredients section.
Ended up 8 pounds lighter and really looking forward to a curry takeout tonight!.

A Curry takeout???? I thought you were only eating bacon these days :)

I have coconut oil as I've made coconut macaroons with it - not sure I'm ready to dunk it in my coffee though!

Reactions: Salvia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Curry takeout???? I thought you were only eating bacon these days :)

I have coconut oil as I've made coconut macaroons with it - not sure I'm ready to dunk it in my coffee though!
Oi after 7 days of nothing I think I deserve a curry!

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Indy51 I lived in Japan for several years. It is untrue that the Japanese mostly eat fermented soya. This is a myth perpetuated by vested interests IMHO.

I agree that they do consume a lot of soya sauce. However, soya is generally seen in Japan as the healthy protein option (together with fish) compared to meat. Difficult to disagree with the statistics.... They're in first place whilst we're (UK) in 20th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@PenfoldAPD try almond and coconut soya milk, its lovely. With or without cream. Sometimes on offer so even better.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doing brilliantly bulkbiker.................let us know if the curry spikes you less than it would have done before the fast. Hopefully, as your insulin levels will have been so low for a week, your tissues will now be screaming for carbs, and handle them effortlessly.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing brilliantly bulkbiker.................let us know if the curry spikes you less than it would have done before the fast. Hopefully, as your insulin levels will have been so low for a week, your tissues will now be screaming for carbs, and handle them effortlessly.
Was kind of ok went from 4.5 before to 5.7 2 hours after. Didn't have many carbs though - spinach,aubergine and mushroom bahji with chicken tikka.. added some yoghurt at home for a bit of moisture. Still you can never be quite sure what gets added in so back to home cooking now. I'm pretty much in ketosis all the time now so hopefully my body won't scream for those damned carbs again.

Reactions: Ituen