First 7 Day Fast COMPLETED!!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
My next 7 day fast starts tomorrow evening at 7pm!

Hi Kevin I admire your progress here!

What sort of exercise are you doing and do you change it when you are fasting? I've just come back from holiday and could do with losing some weight; think I may try a shorter fast.

Thanks

Dillinger

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Hi there
i'm currently reading Jason Fung on fasting and intermittent fasting. I currently eat in a 6 hour window which is fairly easy due to being at work. what you are doing is at another level. Awesome!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi Kevin I admire your progress here!

What sort of exercise are you doing and do you change it when you are fasting? I've just come back from holiday and could do with losing some weight; think I may try a shorter fast.

Thanks

Dillinger

Starting with just 24 hours is good. Fasting is not principally for weight. I am now 70kg and maintaining over 3 months.

When fasting I don't change anything, exercise as hard as normal, which for me is a 1 mile run daily, fitness class, kettle bell
class and 3 times with weight resistance at the gym, but that's just me:)

Fasting primarily jump starts your insult n sensitivity.

Reactions: Dillinger

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there
i'm currently reading Jason Fung on fasting and intermittent fasting. I currently eat in a 6 hour window which is fairly easy due to being at work. what you are doing is at another level. Awesome!

Thanks. That's a great way to start and exactly the way I got into the rhythm of fasting.

Congratulations on what I am sure will be a successful journey:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How's it going?
Fine thanks.. counting down to tonights takeaway curry.. It has been lot easier than I thought. Probably due to the bullet proof coffee I have been having once a day. 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil in a latte made with a cream and water mix. I haven;t had to have any mouthfuls of cream as a hunger pang killer and haven't really felt hungry at all. Did feel a bit odd one afternoon with a 3.8 reading but think that may have been low salt. After a glass of eater its half a teaspoon of salt was fine again.
Got well into ketosis with my best reading ever of 3.5 mmol/l after 5 days.. unfortunately have now run out of strips. Lost 8 pounds in weight. All in all pretty successful.

Reactions: Brunneria

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that's amazing! Well done. I am psyching myself up to do it next week. I can cope with ketosis as after couple days you don't get that hungry, but I love my wine at weekend and don't like to be in ketosis when drinking as I once had a convulsion on an aeroplane after 6 weeks of ketosis on a vlcd. I've also had hypos when drinking so need to up the carbs a bit when have wine. It's the last thing I am prepared to give up! I can do without food but not wine lol. What's your plan next?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's amazing! Well done. I am psyching myself up to do it next week. I can cope with ketosis as after couple days you don't get that hungry, but I love my wine at weekend and don't like to be in ketosis when drinking as I once had a convulsion on an aeroplane after 6 weeks of ketosis on a vlcd. I've also had hypos when drinking so need to up the carbs a bit when have wine. It's the last thing I am prepared to give up! I can do without food but not wine lol. What's your plan next?
Have a week of not fasting and see if the weight goes back on.. probably just eat once a day apart from the BPC

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it. Are you taking any supplements or flax for fibre?
I don't take any supplements apart from a half teaspoon of salt in the morning in a glass of water and some psyllium husk capsules to help with poo.. (although not sure they work especially well).

Reactions: debbiedoodles

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting gets easier once the body is fat adapted. I'm due my next three day fast in a couple of weeks...

Well done boys! X

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've been fasting, just eating one meal around 7pm. I like a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend too, but drink them after eating around 9pm. Hasn't caused any problem.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting gets easier once the body is fat adapted. I'm due my next three day fast in a couple of weeks...

Well done boys! X
Hi Deb

Are you not eating anything on your 3 day fast? I'm wondering about fibre as already struggling. I am having some flax but it gives me stomach ache :(

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fasting primarily jump starts your insult n sensitivity.

This seems to be the case for me. I started on LCHF 2 weeks ago. My first weeks FBG readings were all around low 6.0's. From Monday of this week I tried out 5:2 IF (Monday & Thursday) with LCHF on other days. On Tuesday morning my FBG was 5.6. It has dropped a few 0.1's per day since, with this morning's FBG at 5.1. It is obviously far too early to draw any conclusions. However, the signs do look very positive.

One of the interesting things I have found is that being on LCHF my hunger pangs on fasting days were not that bad at all. I had tried fasting previously, when my hunger pangs were so bad I could hardly sleep.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This seems to be the case for me. I started on LCHF 2 weeks ago. My first weeks FBG readings were all around low 6.0's. From Monday of this week I tried out 5:2 IF (Monday & Thursday) with LCHF on other days. On Tuesday morning my FBG was 5.6. It has dropped a few 0.1's per day since, with this morning's FBG at 5.1. It is obviously far too early to draw any conclusions. However, the signs do look very positive.

One of the interesting things I have found is that being on LCHF my hunger pangs on fasting days were not that bad at all. I had tried fasting previously, when my hunger pangs were so bad I could hardly sleep.

That's why I think you should do LCHF before fasting as you have.
Once you drop the carbs you don't get the withdrawal symptoms when you don't eat. As your body is burning fat anyway then the switch to burning its stored fat is easier so you don't get the pangs anywhere near as much. I have found exactly the same thing... great isn't it?

Reactions: jonbvn and Prem51

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fine thanks.. counting down to tonights takeaway curry.. It has been lot easier than I thought. Probably due to the bullet proof coffee I have been having once a day. 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil in a latte made with a cream and water mix. I haven;t had to have any mouthfuls of cream as a hunger pang killer and haven't really felt hungry at all. Did feel a bit odd one afternoon with a 3.8 reading but think that may have been low salt. After a glass of eater its half a teaspoon of salt was fine again.
Got well into ketosis with my best reading ever of 3.5 mmol/l after 5 days.. unfortunately have now run out of strips. Lost 8 pounds in weight. All in all pretty successful.

Absolutely brilliant!!!!!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Well done. I've been on this path for just over 5 months now and the journey you are following has literally changed my life.... Keep going:)

hornplayer

What exactly counts as fasting? - I understand the eating nothing at all type of fasting, but when you include bullet proof coffee and cream into it, is it a different sort of fasting? Is it about calories or ketosis, of have I just completely misunderstood? I don't mean to be controversial, I'm just confused. What's the difference between a VLCD and fasting? Sorry for all the questions. :/