LADA diagnosis. Telling DVLA about diabetes.

colmc555

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Kerr and Smith Recovery
Hi
I have just escalated from type 2 tablet controlled to "lada" insulin controlled.
As an hgv driver I am about to inform DVLA of these changes.
I have read the criteria for keeping my licence but was wondering that if , until I have 3 months meter readings, my licence will be suspended ,or whether I can still drive until I have the readings.
Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As far as I am aware, as soon as you become insulin dependent, your HGV entitlement will be removed from your license until you have the requisite blood test data and have undertaken the required medical.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Your HGV will go as tim200s states but your ordinary car licence will stay unless you are deemed unfit due to hypos.

denbo

I'm going to tag @denbo as I think they may know more.
Hi
I have just escalated from type 2 tablet controlled to "lada" insulin controlled.
As an hgv driver I am about to inform DVLA of these changes.
I have read the criteria for keeping my licence but was wondering that if , until I have 3 months meter readings, my licence will be suspended ,or whether I can still drive until I have the readings.
Thanks
Hi its denbo I got my licence bk in 2012 when it came into force because I went onto insulin and every yr u AV to AV a medical with yr GP.collect 3mths readings ov yr blood sugars and go and see dvla I dependant consultant to check yr memory blood machine I AV a contour Bayer it's a 3part stage u AV to go through it takes a few weeks but when I was renewing mine they let me drive until my licence came through but I'd ring em and ask with u just goin on insulin hope all this helps

Reactions: azure