New to here

Dave24/7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh boo, quotes didn't work very well. Oops! But there are lots of smiley faces in my post, so, I'll take it :)

Thank you for that well explained essay! :)
Yes I'm on Carb Ratio, Target Range and 7 injections a day! Sorry what i was meaning if i was on a pump would be saving me from having 21 injections 7*3 = 21 7 injection a day every 3 days, with the pumps Cannula being changed every 3 days, hope I'm correct on this?

In the early years of getting diabetes it was exchanges not carbs! 1ex for a apple!
and when I first started it was one injection and no sugar at all! I used to be full of sugar day and night! We've come a long way in 40 years!
There were no blood readings to tell me if you had sugar it was only urine and that was only guess work!

So a pump excuse the phrase! :) will greatly save me injections as I'm a pincushion now and will greatly help to get better levels and control for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my days of being a diabetic it was exchanges not carbs! 1ex for a apple!

O I'm with you! Then yes, it will save you 21 injections!

I think an exchange = 10g of carbs. So, if you're used to doing exchanges and you're on basal/bolus MDI you'll totally get the theory on the pump - it's just you tell the pump exactly how many grams of carbs (which I think is much better cos you aren't being forced to round up or down so you get a bolus that much more accurately reflects what you actually need).

Highly recommend the pumping insulin book too :)

Reactions: 2 people

Dave24/7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think an exchange = 10g of carbs.

No it use to be 1 Exchange to 15g has a packet of crisp was the same for a apple, until we got a better understanding :) weight and grams mind you I did weigh my food too.

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it use to be 1 Exchange to 15g has a packet of crisp was the same for a apple, until we got a better understanding :)

Ya I'm on 1u to 10 roughly, as we change that too during the day :)
what, I'm wondering now is how do I figure out the Basal rate from 14u over ? hours.

not sure how long levemir lasts in the body as I'm sure it will vary with person to person, but as an example, lets say 12 hours will it be 14u divided by 12h

Sorry, your going to have to give it a bit of context - this thread is over a month old & I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday!

Do you mean how you set your basal rates on a pump when you move from MDI to pump? Do you have a date to start your pump? When you start your DSN will help you set up initial basal rates, and then you can adjust as and when necessary until you get a basal rate that works for you.

For the initial set up, your MDI basal dose will be taken into account, but it is more likely the maths for the basal rate on the pump will be based upon your total daily dose of insulin pre pump - they will do something along the lines of TDD less 20% / 2 = total basal per day /24 = hourly basal.

Then you will have to test out how that initial basal rate actually works for you and adjust accordingly.

I would recommend getting a copy of the book "pumping insulin".

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No it use to be 1 Exchange to 15g has a packet of crisp was the same for a apple, until we got a better understanding :) weight and grams mind you I did weigh my food too.
No 1 exchange was 10 carbs. The USA uses the 1 exchange for 15 carbs. A bag of crisps was about 12 carbs anda small apple and I do mean small was 10 carbs.

iHs

I remembered the 10g carb exchange fairly well and always cut the semi circle end piece of bread off with a knife so that a slice of bread that was at the time, 15g carb, became 10g Once I became a bit more relaxed, I often subsituted the carb content of food with the carb value of another and as long as the meal equalled 30g carb, I was ok and happy with once daily insulin.

Peterb73

Hi I'm Tori,

I'm 26 and have been a type 1 diabetic since I was twelve. In October I will have been diabetic for 15 years and can't remember not injecting!

I have joined the forum as I don't know any diabetics and sometimes think I could maybe do with the support and knowledge of other diabetics.
Some times a conversation with a friend or family member is hard as they just ' don't get it'

I am also being referred for a pump ( diabetic nurse will be writing the letter this week) I would love to know what people's opinions are on the pumps and the pros and cons ups and downs that people have had. I don't have any problems Injecting but suffer badly with the dawn phenomenon, so am considering the pump to hopefully settle this down!
X
Hi Tori, have just joined too and I am Peter. Type 2 and hope will find this site helpful

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry, your going to have to give it a bit of context - this thread is over a month old & I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday!
That's because you didn't have any ;) :)

Reactions: Dave24/7

Dave24/7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No 1 exchange was 10 carbs. The USA uses the 1 exchange for 15 carbs. A bag of crisps was about 12 carbs anda small apple and I do mean small was 10 carbs.
ya I know now! but at the time I was informed that 15g was 1 exchange! :) ya very small apple pie! :):p