fruit

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
do anyone know what is the best fruit to eat is apples and grapes ok?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I would advise not to eat apples or grapes as they spike me
I would suggest testing after eating them to see how they spike you
Berries are the best fruits to eat
I do occasionally eat some melon

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do anyone know what is the best fruit to eat is apples and grapes ok?
I've read that berries are usually the best. I have three or four respberries occasionally. I would personally avoid apples or grapes. You need to try a few and then test to see the result. Fresh are best. Frozen will be partly destroyed by freezing.

Reactions: Freema

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A small apple might be OK because there is a lot of fiber in it. Don't remove the skin! Grapes have a lot of sugar. Best avoided unless they are part of a nice glass, or two, of red wine.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For readily available I would suggest raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries (test your blood before and if you can 1 and 2 hours after to see how this affects you); I get away with 6-8 of each. If you can take the sharpness red and black currents, my taste buds have adjusted to these.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
few raspberries full fat yoghurt and some double cream on top works for me.. I use frozen so they keep.. otherwise throw half of the fresh ones away.

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Generally berries are better than grapes but if eating grapes you should not eat more than 6 and not with other sweet fruit, applies are not so sweet but keep in mind that some people cope well with some things and some do not so best to test before and two hours after and see what your body can tolerate

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
then berries it is thanks all for replies x

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Berries are fine for me. If I'm exercising I can get away with a small peach or plum in mid exercise. Melon spiked me .. sob ! I haven't tested grapes yet as I've read they are quite high sugar content. I think people vary in how they react to fruit.. best idea is to test your readings before and after.

Reactions: Freema and lynn007
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Rhubarb is low carb. Although not a fruit, you can eat it like one with yogurt, for example.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, you need to test to see what each type of fruit does to your personal blood glucose levels.
Everyone has different reactions, so they may be able to tolerate fruit that you can't and vice versa.

A good place to start is to check the carb content and portion size of the fruit you want to eat, test before and after, and how much it raises your glucose.

Ripeness of fruit and portion size are very important.

Reactions: Sauron and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a sweet watermelon is worse than both sugar and white flour in the glycemic index

Reactions: Sauron

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a sweet watermelon is worse than both sugar and white flour in the glycemic index

Yes, but it is also 98% water (or thereabouts), and you have to take portion size into account...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got sick of berries had to many so if I never see another bowl of plain greek yogurt and berries it will be to soon. Now if I want some fruit I have a small apple a hard pear or a satsuma.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but it is also 98% water (or thereabouts), and you have to take portion size into account...
yes but it is really speeding into your blood... but I love it myself ad do want to have a Little every summer

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Kiwi's are about 0.5g of carbs each. I find bananas difficult to judge due to both size and ripeness. I was always told honeydew melon was carb free (but never tested the results)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kiwi´s ?

I love then but thought they vere filled with sugar just like grapes... maybe I thought wrong