What do you miss most from being diabetic

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the only thing is ice cream - but it's something I had serious self-control issues with and removing it from my life has probably been a very good thing. I certainly don't miss feeling like I had no energy all of the time.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Fish & chips and beer:) not touched the first in over 5 months only dabbled with the beer at Twickenham whilst watching a game last Saturday and my stomach spider for it later:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree with you OP. I miss being able to push myself :/

I used to be able to just get on a bike and ride as long as I wanted, with the only worry being the weather. Now I have to carry so many supplies, and begin prep so far in advance it takes out much of the fun.

I used to be able to disappear for days on end, sleeping at friends houses, going on spontaneous trips, but now it takes much more planning and forethought.. it makes me feel like I have been put on a leash... I can't event work late unless i plan to and bring enough food with me.

I concur with you, spot on.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I sometimes miss some of the things I haven't eaten since diagnosis > 4 years ago such as normal bread, rice, pasta , pizza , crisps , potatoes and chips! I found blood sugar to be uncontrollable when eating the aforementioned. I think I'd miss my eyesight, kidney function and limbs a lot more..........

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss eating a whole liter of walnut-cream/icecream..... :nailbiting: and eating lots of caramels

Last edited:

Queen_bee1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a fairly new T1 (less than 3 years) and 55 when diagnosed, I miss a load of thing but I feel I shouldn't moan about this as at least I do remember what it's like to not have it (or is that worse?) unlike many, including my brother, a veteran T1 of 50 years. I think the thing I miss overall is the freedom to not have to see every meal and morsel of food as a complex mathematical puzzle. That definitely takes away the enjoyment at times. The other is being able to leave the house without having to do loads of checks to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, insulin, snacks, test kit,....etc. It's worse than having a small baby's kit to cart around! (that WAS a long time ago).

Reactions: Freema

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes miss some of the things I haven't eaten since diagnosis > 4 years ago such as normal bread, rice, pasta , pizza , crisps , potatoes and chips! I found blood sugar to be uncontrollable when eating the aforementioned. I think I'd miss my eyesight, kidney function and limbs a lot more..........

Ditto. We all feel the same way as you do. You are not alone and I hope this makes you feel better.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
The hungry feeling I used to get in my stomach when I was starving! :p

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Miss the carbs. I lived on bread/pasta/rice dishes and managed to couple that with beer (ale) by exercising plenty. Being diagnosed T1DM at 41, it has been hard to suck up but I cannot imagine how I could have coped in my 20s. I would certainly have had complications by now, given the advances in technology that I can now enjoy compared to the early 90s and the fact I was very compulsive (as well as a little naughty!).

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I miss everything nice...

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Toast, pasta, rice, bread, jam, noodles. 8 weeks since diagnosis and I'm soo fed up already. Lost a stone but I don't like food anymore.

DerbyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I miss not being able to simply eat something when I am hungry when I am out of the house and I miss being able to walk/do my job without the constant agonising pain in my feet.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I miss: Homemade whole grain bread and time.

• I've had about 3 slices of fresh warm bread from my bread machine since October 2, spread over 4-5 sittings (less than a slice at a time, to keep the carbs low enough so I can safely eat it).
  • The time I invest in food preparation is time I really can't afford to lose - but from a health perspective I can't afford not to invest it.

What I don't miss at all (all vanished post-diagnosis & tight BG control):
  • Constant fatigue
  • Constant foggy brain
  • The 70 extra pounds I've been carrying the past few years
  • Tasteless fast food (or fast food made "tasty" by the addition of chemicals, sugar, carbs, and unhealthy fats)
  • That breast cancer tumor I wouldn't have found, but for kicking the 70 extra pounds to the curb
  • The fatigue and skin ulcers I would likely have had from radiation (at my former weight) due to fat rolls creating constant skin-to-skin contact and radiation hot spots.

L

_lyn_lyn_1963

I was pre diabetic and it was caught early so I miss nothing and have gained my health, that's a small price for me to pay as I had lots of health problems but now I am good as new, only through diet I have transformed my life. Wish my mum could of learnt about her diabetis but she did not have the Internet and only Drs and I did not know how to help her.

Reactions: Freema and hankjam

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Derbydave I feel ur pain and neo hider I also understand ur "don't miss" also. Diabetes is a cruel master.