Allergic reaction to Metformin

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I do have dodgy skin, in that I react to cosmetics and stuff. But recently I have had the most incredible itchy hives. On Dr Google one of the side affects is hives. My GP says no such thing.
Has anyone else had a reaction to it, and is there anything I can take instead of Met?
I've stopped taking it and my skin clears, literally one tablet and a short time later my skin complains with huge bumps and itching.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your shoes I'd be trusting your body rather than your doctor :)

Do you need medication - have you tested to see how your BG reacts without it?

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Whatever the reason you have demonstrated that your skin is reacting to something in the prescribed tablets, it may not be the metformin to blame for your reaction, it may be one of the fillers that is used to make the tablet. If you can no longer control bg with diet and exercise perhaps a different type or brand of metformin tablet would be the answer.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Its Bolamyn SR 500 mg, I've been on these before and for a while, think I will check out whats in them.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Just reading the precautions on their website, very rare 1 in 10000 - hives. Seems I might be that one.

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
metformin is my worse enemy I hate it never felt has ill as I do now.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Are you still on it Lynn?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reading the precautions on their website, very rare 1 in 10000 - hives. Seems I might be that one.
I'm afraid I don't trust the figures they give in any PIL. My mistrust began with statins where 1 in 10000 were supposed to get a reaction as I did except that a bloke up the road got them as well. An amazing coincidence.

Clive_T_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do have dodgy skin, in that I react to cosmetics and stuff. But recently I have had the most incredible itchy hives. On Dr Google one of the side affects is hives. My GP says no such thing.
Has anyone else had a reaction to it, and is there anything I can take instead of Met?
I've stopped taking it and my skin clears, literally one tablet and a short time later my skin complains with huge bumps and itching.
Hello Im type 2 diabetic n i was using metformin 500mg tabs 4 a day took them 2yrs had terrible all over body itching I even had feeling things inside my body crawling about Dr's thought it was dermatitis n gave me shampoo and e45 itch relief cream I was using it all the time but none nothing worked.. A Dr told me could be a side effect from tablets I was taking so I decided STOP TAKING METFORMIN since then my body doesn't itch anymore for my diabetes im now on insulin humilin 1 my glucose levels are now no higher than 7.0 I'm feeling best I have in years.. ☺

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks Clive, reassuring in way to know that its not just me. I have an appointment next week to see the doc, hopefully its a different one and is more aware (what are the chances).

eunice61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I took slow-release metformin for years and was fine. Then last year I started being breathless. It was very frightening. My doctor and I realised it was the metformin and he was fine with me dropping it. It's a one-size-fits-all treatment, but it doesn't fit all.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had exactly the same problem when taking Januvia. As regards Metformin, the day after taking it for the first time I developed Raynaud's Syndrome. There is a process where blood flow is restricted to the extremities in order to keep vital organs warm when necessary but Metformin appeared to have upset this normal process [Raynaud's syndrome], leaving the extremities icy cold; it was 6 months after stopping Metformin & switching to NovoRapid that this finally went back to normal.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have Raynauds anyway. But not having taken the Met my skin is ok. Just wondered is there any alternative. Low carber that I am it doesn't seem to do a great deal to my bloods.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Raynauds anyway. But not having taken the Met my skin is ok. Just wondered is there any alternative. Low carber that I am it doesn't seem to do a great deal to my bloods.
Metformin appeared for me to have a more or less identical effect to exercise as regards improving glucose levels but in my case neither had any effect before breakfast which in the end I concluded was down to insufficient insulin to cope with the amount of glucose being released by the liver whilst in fasting mode. I now use NovoRapid to lower my morning glucose levels before breakfast; medications [Metformin & Januvia] had no effect as both require insulin to be present. The so calles experts did not seem to understand that this could be a possibility, despite type 2 being a sliding scale where some people will be towards the worst end. I found only NovoRapid allowed me to reduce my glucose levels before breakfast & more generally, taking NovoRapid you can relax a little as regards what you eat.. making a big difference for any type 2 struggling to achieve control by other means.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've been delaying eating until about 12/1 ish, tested my blood before and it was 8.5. What the bleep is that all about?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been delaying eating until about 12/1 ish, tested my blood before and it was 8.5. What the bleep is that all about?
It all depends on when your liver decides to "self feed" by dumping glucose - approx. every 5 hours in the fasted state apparently and I guess how full your liver glycogen stores are as to how high it goes.

I've also heard of Type 1's with dawn phenomena where the BG keeps on rising until they eat. Not sure if this applies to Type 2's or not.

JamesMJG2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes there is... I was on Met Metformin and became allergic to it... The Doc put me on Gliburide
Another one is Trajenta... Gliburide & Trajenta can also be used to gether...

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

The pancreas has alpha cells that produce glucogen which stimulates the liver to release stored glucose. When you eat, hormones are released that suppress this production of glucogen for upto 8 hours. When you have breakfast your glucose level will go up at first but after it should become easier to control your glucose level, as the amount of glucose being released by the liver should have decreased. Type 2 diabetes encompases a range from mild to severe & at the severe end, you do not produce enough insulin to cope with what the liver releases.

cathief51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was allergic to Metformin I am t2, I had itching and was just coming to the conclusion that it could be the Metformin when I was hospitalised. I was very ill for a couple of days. I am now on insulin Humulin M3, and have had no problems with it and my by level is ok. So be aware the itching could just be the start of a bigger problem. I hope you get it sorted out.