What do you miss most from being diabetic

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do I miss? Maybe being able to just grab a snack when out, that's when I find it challenging and get depressed. Do I miss cakes and sugar, honestly not really - and the 12 kgs and trimmer waist are much better!

Reactions: Freema

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
just about managing to miss the chippy

Reactions: Brunneria

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to 14 I could and did enjoy most of the "bad" food items and no this did not cause me to become a type 1 diabetic ;
The thing is Candy Floss

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The only thing I really miss about being diabetic is being able to enjoy a nice tasty crusty white baguette!

Now I am well controlled and have lost the weight that caused my diabetes I can pretty much eat what I like but I still cant eat white bread which I dont really miss but baguettes are another matter altogether :(

The last time I came really unstuck was several years ago while on holiday when I made what proved to be a bad decision to have a cream tea with two white scones, within 3 hours I was so tired that I had to return to our accommodation were I fell into a deep sleep!! That was the last time I ate any product made from white flour except small amounts of pastry like a pie topping or a quiche base.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make this awesome cinnamon toast where I coated each piece of half toasted bread with a third of an inch of butter, then a third of an inch of cinnamon, giner and nutmeg and then as much pure white sugar as I could fit on top. I would toast on low with the sugar making a hard layer on top. When I knew I could crunch through the candy, I would pull it out. I would do this on Challah bread.

So, say I have a couple days to live. Besides perpetual prayer, the sustenance is going to come from a few of my favorite things

Should I survive all that, then I'll give it up for another decade or so

;)
Strewth! And all I meant was a slice or two of wholemeal or multigrain!

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Chips and egg with bread to dip..cream slice..

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I miss eating doughnuts. I had a few 1mth ago and ended up with high levels and heart problems my heart was racing and wasn't well. Luckily I was ok, but I just started to eat some doughnuts and then my heart started to go. So now no doughnuts for me just fed up with the restrictions. Really miss sweet foods.

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I miss my freedom without having to inject myself and do blood tests and recording them every day. I became diabetic at the age of 11 and the changes in diet and life style made me feel frustrated and restricted and still does.

Toffer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bizarre that it may seem, my biggest miss is tinned cherry pie filling toasted sandwiches. That used to be my goto comfort food. Since I became type 1 at age 40 I don't think I carry around enough insulin to cover that carb load!

Vidusi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty
Apart from freedom from meter and needles, I don't miss anything because I factor in a treat and still get the right readings.

Wpepsi63

Spontaneity (without the pre-planning).
I agree.. Planning is not always easy and suddenly you r out n have no lunch or home late from work and no planned dinner n the salad in the fridge from yesterday not looking so good.. Leaves me stumped for quick fix ideas sometimes.. I'm still a newbie (diagnosed in May) so still surprised/disappointed when this happens to me. Gotta get more organised.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I miss energy and memory.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but on the other hand. I would probably not have pulled myself together to Loose my extreeme overweight and would probably have died far too early, and my child would not have had a mother when adult ... and now I look myself in the mirror and think well I am getting better and better looking all the time... and I will really celebrate when reaching my goal of loosing all 30-35 kg´s buying lots of new clothes travelling to the Mountains to be able to walk in them which I allways wanted and of cause eat som forbidden carbs for one day..that is if I still want that at that time...

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm one of the lucky ones as strange as that may sound. Being diagnosed at 4 I don;t really have any memories of not living with diabetes or what things I ate prior to being 4. So I can;t say I miss anything. As far as wishing I could live and eat like many of my non diabetes friends? I do - just not as often nor do I feel guilty or disappointed when I knowingly do something that I know I should not be doing ... and see the resulting BG results LOL.

I feel that health professionals use the fine art of guilt and fear in trying to get their diabetes patients to comply with what they think is a reasonable management regimen.

Another interesting question (especially for long term diabetics) is the question - "Are you satisfied with your quality of life after being diagnosed with diabetes?

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss nothing after 48 years type1, i`ve got life