SHOULD I BE MONITORING OR NOT ?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Only by self testing will you ever find out which foods affect your blood sugar levels. This information you can use to keep your blood sugars under control and avoid complications in the future.

You must be seen to be interested and pro active in your own management of YOUR diabetes and be able to interpret the results you get so that you can control your blood sugar levels and keep your Hba1c down below 6.5 %.

Test strips are expensive and cost the PCT's money, this is why they are reluctant to give Type 2's test strips if they are on non hypo inducing drugs.

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks but being on benifits i can't afford £25 a time for strips. I feel I should be monitoring and tolod the nurse this , I am 27 stone down from 28/7 when diagnosed. But i feel if i can monitor my levels I could bring my weight and sugar levels down better. Unfortunately i'm the sort of person who unless I have proof i'm eating wrong (yes i know that sounds silly at 27 stone) i'm less likely to stick to it. But i dont know what else i can do as i just cant afford it on my own.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You have to be persuasive when you visit your Nurse/GP. Making the case for testing as Sue pointed out has to be the way forward for you. You could always mention this section of the report:

SMBG ought to routinely just be provided to those with Type 2 diabetes not treated with insulin or sulphonylureas where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing.

The NICE guidelines also state:
1.4.1 Offer self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education. Discuss its purpose and agree how it should be interpreted and acted upon.

• to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle changes.

You have to literally fight your corner, otherwise the answer will always be NO !
Ken.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
chazelder said:
Thanks but being on benifits i can't afford £25 a time for strips. I feel I should be monitoring and tolod the nurse this , I am 27 stone down from 28/7 when diagnosed. But i feel if i can monitor my levels I could bring my weight and sugar levels down better. Unfortunately i'm the sort of person who unless I have proof i'm eating wrong (yes i know that sounds silly at 27 stone) i'm less likely to stick to it. But i dont know what else i can do as i just cant afford it on my own.
I have a spare used Accu-check Compact Monitor and an unopened pack of 50 strips to go with it. There is also about a dozen lancets left.
If you are interested, PM me I can post them out to you. No charge, will help you get started. Also check out Ebay for strips.

Reactions: 2 people

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Chris thank you very much for the monitor and strips i'm sure thgey are going to help tremendously your a star

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
You're welcome Chaz, hopefully they will help you determine how to control your BG :mrgreen:

susanah12

I don't monitor like i should, suppose it could be a bit of denial. But OMG, the symptons people appear to have are so similar to mine, i have a fasting blood next week. Then a Diabetic clinic following week. My aches and pains are so serious, i have to think before i walk after sitting for only 20mins sometimes. I am like an elderly person, but only 51, I did have a knee replacement September 09, and thought i would be dancing within months. I am lucky if i manage to walk without pain constantly & currently. I began blaming the severe pain i am in on the severe cold, but i feel it is my taking of drugs, to control D2 and Cholesterol. I work long hours, on my feet a lot, in and out of car, but my health is so bad, i feel like an invalid. Which i know i am not, but i am now sure i should taket D2 seriously. I actually hear my joints knocking??? Which is new to me, and wonder also about the statin comments. Any suggestions to a rather silly 50's ish woman who feels like a women 30 years older than I am. :?: Thanks Susan

LittleV

Any suggestions to a rather silly 50's ish woman who feels like a women 30 years older than I am. Thanks Susan

I cant comment on the statins, but I can comment on the age thing, I am 51 and had a hip replacement 4 years ago this month, it went wrong and I suffered a 3 fractures in my femur too. It took me a long time to get back on my feet at all to be honest, and like you I feel about 30 years older than I should!!

If you read these boards regualrly, you will see that after a couple of years of ignoring my diabetes, I am starting to take it in hand, have found that regular but gentle exercise is helping, and also not giving in to the temptation to sleep when the urge hits me. If I allow my bg to get too high, I feel exhausted, and also if I eat something with too much carbs in it, I want to fall asleep almost immediately afterwards. My recent new healtier diet has definately helped my energy levels, and am starting to lose weight, which I am sure is going to help the aches and pains too :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
LittleV
does your local Sports Centre have a Pathway scheme? that is special classes for people with health issues, who are referred by their doctors.
the other thing that's good is aqua exercises. This gives you resistance exercise without load bearing and is gentle on joints
Hana

susanah12

hi to my repliers thank you so much, i just tested me tonight after a wonderful cooked mothers day lunch by my son and son in law and a bowl of icecream..... :mrgreen: But my testing was 10.8 I have a D clinic Tuesday guess i should be now seriously taking myself in hand. I have cut out the statins for two nights and get less achey and painful joints. So will also mention the statins. I will exercise but i do walk a lot in my job. Thanks for the replies Susan x

LittleV

does your local Sports Centre have a Pathway scheme? that is special classes

Not sure if its pathway, but my membership is subsidised because I was referred by my gp, I do also have an annual swimming pass for the local baths, but not been going for a while I have to say, intend getting back on track with that too. Love swimming, used to swim 30 lengths everyday when i was working as my company was next to a swimming pool :)

susanah12

I am doing diabetes checks

Hi I am now regularly doing checks, but today i went for a meeting, and there was lunch included. After a couple of wraps, lots of coffee and tea, i feel lousy, light headed and starving, like I have not eaten at all, i know i cannot be starving, we here don't know what it feels like. But uncomfortable and feeling i should eat, but knowing i cannot be hungery is a horrible feeling. Any suggestions please. Also I have stopped Statins for 5 days now, and although i am still struggling with up and down stairs due to knee replacement, my joints are not as achey as they were for the last few weeks. Thanks in anticipation Susan Ashby Leicestershire. :wink:

Ehlana

Susanah,

I can only go by my own experiences here - but I have had all the symptoms you have and I can sympathise.

When I was newly diagnosed I found monitoring a huge bonus - there are founds that your BS will react to more than others. For me I found that any kind of grains I react to so I gave up porridge and bread for a while - that helped a lot.

The feeling of lightheadedness is to do with your body pumping out more insulin and the blood sugar dropping. For me its not about it being too low but the level of drop - hence the key is to minimalise the insulin you require in the first place.

Regular snacks and small meals help, as well as watching your carb intake. Combining protein with your carbs helps slow the digestion process down. Once you have managed to do that the cravings and the lightheadedness should ease. I particularly find that eating beans, pulses and soya very beneficial and really keeps me fuller longer.

Protein shakes may be a consideration (they can be either whey or soya protein) - I find a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, soya milk and any soft fruit (preferably berries) keeps me hunger free for hours and has very little hit to my BS. If you dont want to go down the protein powder route (it is expensive) then soya or natural yoghurt can be substituted.

I could go on (get down from your soap box Lynette!!). The key I think for me personally is little and often. If you want any more tips, I would be more than happy to help.

mrawfell

I was diagagnosed T2 about 6 months ago. I retired out of the UK to the Philippines, my choice, where health care depends on your ability to pay, which I knew. So I monitor my BS because I am concerned about the serious effects of diabetes. I use Johnsons one touch, and buy my own tests strips at about 11 pounds per 25. ( Depends on the exchange rate, at one stage it would have been about 7.50.) I monitor now mainly at ther 2 hours after stage. My FBS are always 5-6. So all I am saying I know it is expensive, but if not how do you know where you are ? I am on Galvus, as I had too many tummy troubles with metformin. A Mother's day lunch no doubt with potatoes, and a bowl of ice cream, honestly I would say it will definitely put your BS high.
I have learnt to eat much more veg, and do without rice or potatoes. It's no big deal

cannybrit

Hi I have only just joined the forum and find the topics so informative, I too was told by my diabetic nurse that I don't need to monitor my t2 diabetes (was diagnosed in Sept 2010) but have now decide to after getting a reading of 21!after my sister who is also diabetic tested me last week, had previous readings of 18.5 and 14.5 went to make an appointment with the nurse and could only get one for 3 weeks time,got a free monitor from Spirit Healthcare yesterday as my GP practice doesn't give monitors or prescriptions for test strips or lancets. At the moment I am taking 500mg Metformin 3 times a day and for the best part of the year have suffered terrible aching joints and nerve pain in my arms which is playing havoc with my sleep have tried cutting out the Statin that I take but there's no difference at all, Thanks to everyone who post on the forum it is a godsend to newbies like me who haven't got a clue.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How long did you cut out statins for? In my case, it took quite a while to get back to normal, I'm guessing 2-3 months as I didn't track it at the time.

My surgery also takes the view that I shouldn't be self testing. I'm not sure that its a purely financial issue. They seem to believe that it'll "just worry you unneccessarily" which is part of their general outlook on the doctor/patient relationship (we know best- do as you're told). In fairness, too, the government guidelines tell them not to encourage self testing where patients are diet only.

I don't see how you can know that your diet is working unless you self test. Getting an update from the doctor every three or six months means you could be going wrong for that amount of time.

If you haven't already, have a read at the information for new joiners here. You then might want to start a new question or thread rather than resuccitate a long old one. You may well get more answers that way.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To save you looking for it:

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

Reduce your carbohydrate intake
Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes

Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)

Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)

Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information

cannybrit

Thanks Dougie for that info, I stopped my statin quite a few months ago and have just recently started again as I said it didn't seem to make any difference to the aches and pains... maybe it's just old age catching up lol as for starting a new thread or question I am new to this and didn't realise never used a forum before so thanks for the advice much appreciated :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi cannybrit and welcome to the forum :)
You will find that the links don't work in the basic information above. This link will give you all the information you need:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Ask as many questions as you like as we all would like to help.