Why was husband offered course, but I was not?

eunice61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband received a letter, addressed to him, inviting him to attend a DSMP diabetes self management programme. He is not diabetic. Not even on the border-line. He has kidney stones so he has regular check-ups and blood tests anyway. I am diabetic and have been for 15 years. But no one has ever asked me to attend a course. I am furious! I'll be giving the surgery a ring today and asking why they've missed me. Idiots!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Good question - why your husband should be offered a diabetes course is a mystery, but you haven't been offered one because you were diagnosed too long ago - now they are trying to offer all the newly diagnosed a course.

I suggest he accepts the course & you go along with him - people offered the course are normally encouraged to bring a companion/carer with them.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the database used to send invites to diabetic courses is FUBAR, so letter are sent to the wrong people.

eunice61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately he can't go with me as he's about to go to work in Switzerland for three months! I've tried ringing them but I can only leave a message. And no one has rung me back. I think I'll send the form in anyway in my name and add a note to the effect that I'm the one with diabetes not him. I thought that once I started actually, y'know, injecting every day, they'd ask me. :banghead:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm listed as a T2 (but actually LADA) and in 12 years have never been offered a course, for which I'm grateful:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They may well have just made a mistake...
Even if not, there is no reason (even if hubby is abroad) that partner/wife/ carer etc can't go.

Apparently only 20% of people invited to any diabetes course for T2's attend according to a diabetes health person I spoke to recently. They are trying to find out reasons why and to fo something about non attendance in our hospital...

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never been offered to attend a course , I did ask but got no where?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is something that I mentioned in my assistance of ideas for my CCG to consider. If GPs diagnose, then they need to ensure patients are given the opportunity!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
But the main problem turns out to be that the persons that are sent letters-(even went sent!) only 20% of patients attend..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Your fury might turn to anger if you attended an NHS course, as they are still following the Eatwell plate which for the average Type 2 is an about turn. Sorry for those who have heard my previous views on this, but on my DESMOND course, I was told that exercise has no impact on blood sugars (I stated that my meter says different). I can't get back the months of over eating slow release carbs (the quantity) and having to exercise harder to counter act these, I can only imagine where I would be if the advice had been LCHF - my opinion is that you are best off getting your practical education on this site.