Yogurt

bisto_861

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been told that Frozen yogurt is a good substitute for ice cream, is it suitable for people like myself, who are type 2 diabetic
thank you

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you choose a low carb full fat yoghurt ,( make sure it has no fruit) then add a few berries such as raspberry or strawberries blitz together and then freeze you should be ok but as always test before eating and 2 hours after to see how it affects your BG levels
CAROL

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't freeze the Alpro soya yoghurt.. it goes hard as a rock.

L

_lyn_lyn_1963

I make my own ice cream, tub of whipping cream, whipped up , tub of clotted cream vanilla Estract and a little honey, then some raspberries in, it has around one teaspoon of sugar a portion, unlike the shop bought one, pop in freezer and go to go.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean the frozen yogurt that you can buy or did you want to make your own

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been told that Frozen yogurt is a good substitute for ice cream, is it suitable for people like myself, who are type 2 diabetic
thank you
If you are looking for something to buy in shops then check the total carbohydrate content on the packaging. I try to aim for something with less than 5g of carbs per 100g but you are very unlikely to find anything that low in the frozen section.A lot of us find that Oppo ice cream which has about 7g of carbs per 100g (the vanilla anyway) doesn't spike our bloods. You can find it in quite a few stores.
http://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/storefinder/

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Check on the label how much sugar it contains but I suspect that quite a lot

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trouble seems to be for me that it's sugar that tends to make ice-cream and frozen yoghurt nice to eat! I like the sound of Oppo (@bulkbiker) though I have never seen it, and I also like @_lyn_lyn_1963 's recipe using berries, vanilla and clotted cream - I reckon clotted cream is a great low-carb idea for avoiding the brittle rock-hard ice-cream I've often produced!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble seems to be for me that it's sugar that tends to make ice-cream and frozen yoghurt nice to eat! I like the sound of Oppo (@bulkbiker) though I have never seen it, and I also like @_lyn_lyn_1963 's recipe using berries, vanilla and clotted cream - I reckon clotted cream is a great low-carb idea for avoiding the brittle rock-hard ice-cream I've often produced!
I think that someone on here.. can't remember who suggested wizzing frozen raspberries with double cream or yoghurt in a liquidiser to make kind of instant frozen cream/yoghurt I have never tried it but it sounds like it could work and you can then control exactly how many carbs go in. Maybe try some non carb sweetener if you have one that doesn't spike you.
Have a look around for the oppo I prefer the vanilla.. the salted caramel tastes a bit "chemical" to me and I hate mint and choc as a flavour combo so haven't tried it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The usual perception is that lower fat is 'better' - and frozen yog icecream is usually lower fat.

But for us (T2s not on strong drugs) then lower carb is better, not lower fat.

I make my own icecream with double cream, berries and erythritol. Delish. I can post the recipe, if anyone is interested.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The usual perception is that lower fat is 'better' - and frozen yog icecream is usually lower fat.

But for us (T2s not on strong drugs) then lower carb is better, not lower fat.

I make my own icecream with double cream, berries and erythritol. Delish. I can post the recipe, if anyone is interested.

I would love to try your recipe @Brunneria, thank you in advance. One of the many good things about lchf is that at least fat can still be on the menu....

Ceel

I made some vegan ice cream using Alpro cream (250 g ) about the same amount of black current coulis made with fruit from my allotment and used 150 g of Xylitol . I have an ice cream maker and when it froze I put it in the freezer (-18 C ) to store it . I was amazed to find that even after 2 days in the freezer it was really easy to scoop ! Was it the Xylitol that made it stay soft ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to try your recipe @Brunneria, thank you in advance. One of the many good things about lchf is that at least fat can still be on the menu....

:)

It is unbelievably quick and easy - but you do need to have a powerful blender that has enough ooomph to blitz up frozen berries.

Just put 2 parts frozen berries and 1 part double cream in the blender, with enough sweetener to taste (I use erythritol, but you can use anything you like).
Blend (only takes a minute or two)
Serve

If you put it in the freezer it will go ROCK hard, so it either needs eating immediately, or put into lolly moulds.

You can use any fruit, and add stuff like chocolate or cocoa powder, use coconut cream...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are looking for something to buy in shops then check the total carbohydrate content on the packaging. I try to aim for something with less than 5g of carbs per 100g but you are very unlikely to find anything that low in the frozen section.A lot of us find that Oppo ice cream which has about 7g of carbs per 100g (the vanilla anyway) doesn't spike our bloods. You can find it in quite a few stores.
http://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/storefinder/
I have never been able to find the OPPO ice cream in any supermarket or even H&B where I live. I have tried Tesco Waitrose and Sainsbury

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been able to find the OPPO ice cream in any supermarket or even H&B where I live. I have tried Tesco Waitrose and Sainsbury
They had it in my local Waitrose (Worthing) when it first came out but now I have to go to Hove (about 20 minutes further to get it). Some Co-op stores have it..

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)

It is unbelievably quick and easy - but you do need to have a powerful blender that has enough ooomph to blitz up frozen berries.

Just put 2 parts frozen berries and 1 part double cream in the blender, with enough sweetener to taste (I use erythritol, but you can use anything you like).
Blend (only takes a minute or two)
Serve

If you put it in the freezer it will go ROCK hard, so it either needs eating immediately, or put into lolly moulds.

You can use any fruit, and add stuff like chocolate or cocoa powder, use coconut cream...

I made this today and it worked really well. Thank you for the idea. :)

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I buy the Arla Skyr yogurt it's thick and very nice.