Dexcom G4 transmitter

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody ever removed a transmitter whilst the sensor is still inserted. We have a transmitter that will most likely die next week and as the sensor has only been inserted for a week we would like to keep it inserted.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive not tried it. But I can't see why it wouldn't work. End the sensor session. Have a go at removing the transmitter from inserted sensor. If you are successful, Pair your new transmitter with the receiver and press it into the sensor, may be with a little bit of brute force. And then start sensor session.

Mind you, I sometime struggle to get the transmitter out of a removed sensor, so I wouldn't be able to do it! It's just the physical bit of getting it out that might be tricky, but it's worth a try.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried it and it was fine. The big 'handle' that you remove from a sensor before insertion is designed to also remove the transmitter from the sensor.

Don't bin the old transmitter - people have been able to fit new batteries to them.

Reactions: catapillar

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes I've changed them over no problem at all

iHs

I tend to use the sensor lock key as a lever to make one of the shoe grips pull away from the transmitter on one side and then its just a matter of using finger nail to pull away the other shoe grip.. squeeze the serated plastic at the other end of the shoe first before using the lock key or the elephant shape plastic guard.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, quite a few times. A second pair of hand helps, it's tricky on your own.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done it and it's surprisingly easy. I managed it in front of a mirror and it was fine.

Also - on eBay atm is a guy offering to replace batteries on the slim Dexcom G4 transmitters for £61 plus £13 delivery. He offers to replace your own G4's batteries, guarantees them for 6 months and epoxy glues them back up.
I've no experience of his work personally but it looks like a winner to me!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191969031178

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info. We've already bought a new transmitter for this year unfortunately but i'm going to have a look at doing it myself for next year I think.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
£74 for an hour's work seems a bit steep...

Plenty of online tutorials for having a go yourself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fair point, but take off the price of the epoxy, batteries, dremel, soldering iron and the price of a new one if you **** it up (I would for sure!) and it seems more like a bargain to me!

Steve922

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Assuming you don't want the trouble and risks involved, I'll buy your old transmitter from you when it dies sooner than you throw it away.
Steve

Edited by Mod to remove email address. Please use PM system

Last edited by a moderator: