What can i drink

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently a couple of glasses or red wine will have little or no effect on bs. (Jason Fung)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Torro, you should avoid beer (liquid bread!) and sweet alcoholic drinks like liqueurs and sweet white wines.
Also only use diet mixers with spirits.
As @debbiedoodles says a lot of us find that red wine actually lowers our bs, though that doesn't work for everyone.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to drink dry reds like merlot, cabernet sauvignon, cabernet shiraz. Another tip to reduce carbs in your alcoholic drinks is to water them down with soda water. I used to drink dry ciders as well. Your light beers are probably the way to go for brew. I can't even drink alcohol these days so do miss a glass of red with dinner.

Reactions: Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As you've posted this in the LC diet forum, I'll answer in relation to that. If you are eating LC as a Ketogenic diet, the answer is really none. When ketogenic, any alcohol kicks you out of Ketosis, and any alcoholic drink with sugar kicks you out for longer.

If you stick to spirits or red wine, then when the alcohol is processed, you will go back on to lipids, and that can take up to 48 hours. If the alcohol contains sugars, you'll be properly dumped out and have to work your way back in again.

Bearing in mind these factors and that beer and sugar containing drinks will raise your blood glucose levels, the choice is yours!

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what is the best alcohol to drink with type 2?
You'll need to experiment.

Alcohol lowers my BG level - including sweet white wines. Alcohol with fewer carbs lowers it more. (The carbs in the alcohol get processed like any other carb - but the impact of those carbs is counteracted by the fact that my liver gets so preoccupied with the alcohol that it temporarily stops pumping out glucose.)

I haven't tried beer (not worth the calorie or carbs, at least for now), but I strongly suspect it would do the same (I only found 3 in a list of 250 beers that come close to the 30 added carbs I can eat while my liver is processing alcohol, rather than pumping out glucose.)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As you've posted this in the LC diet forum, I'll answer in relation to that. If you are eating LC as a Ketogenic diet, the answer is really none. When ketogenic, any alcohol kicks you out of Ketosis, and any alcoholic drink with sugar kicks you out for longer.

If you stick to spirits or red wine, then when the alcohol is processed, you will go back on to lipids, and that can take up to 48 hours. If the alcohol contains sugars, you'll be properly dumped out and have to work your way back in again.

Bearing in mind these factors and that beer and sugar containing drinks will raise your blood glucose levels, the choice is yours!
I didn't find that to be the case, my ketones went much lower but there was still trace levels, by morning I'd always be back to usual levels.

Generally spirits are the best option as they're zero carb

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been doing well on Lchf diet but not losing weight and I suspect this is because I am drinking alcohol 2/3 times a week. It seems to lower bg but yet I'm more hungry suggesting not in ketosis, which might be why I am not losing. I am going to cut out all alcohol for 2 weeks and see what happens.

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red wine reduces my blood sugar levels and does not seem to hinder my gradual weight loss. One really has to keep testing because we all seem to react differently. It also has a good effect on my fasting level readings if I have consumed red wine the night before.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I didn't find that to be the case, my ketones went much lower but there was still trace levels, by morning I'd always be back to usual levels.
I guess it depends how much you are drinking....