Hypos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if this is common but when schoolwork is in place and I have a hypo I feel like I could faint! I'm afraid to stop working as I just really want to get along with it and at least try to ignore the feeling but as T1D's know, a hypo is hard to ignore. It's rare for me to have hypos but when I do get them it hits suddenly. I treat with Lucozade and wait fifteen minutes to re check but fifteen minutes is a long time when your in class... trust me. I just wanted to know do ye have any ideas? Thanks so much

S

Shar67

If you are having hypos doing school work it might be linked to stress.
Try to head hypo off before it starts, check blood glucose before class, maybe have glucose tabs or lucazade before hand.
You might also need to reduce insulin, start with your long one, just a couple of units. I have to say before doing any of this please check with your own diabetes nurse or doctor.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You say the hypo's are rare which is good, is there a particular lesson where you tend to hypo more than others, if so maybe have a carby snack before going in to the lesson, but always treat the hypo as soon as you feel it coming on and never ignore it.

Reactions: azure

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get quite a few hypos in school too, what I do is I bring around a bottle of sweet drink (such as Sprite) whenever I'm having a long day or a busy day with presentations etc. So I'd be able to drink a few ml of the sweet drinks every hour or so to maintain the blood glucose levels :) don't over drink though! :) I also bring complex carbs to school, like biscuits just in case I get really hungry in between lessons.